• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Judging character performance

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Do you agree with this description of character performance?

Bullgrit

Like others have said, in the context of the original game, I can see that as being a pretty spot-on assessment.

But post-2Ed? And with all the other FRPGs that have popped up?

Only in a limited sense- if the PC was supposed to be a benevolent healer, then playing him counter to that is bad. If, OTOH, he's a bit of a mercenary about his healing ability- or if that is what his faith demands- then that's good RP.

A PC cleric aving a crisis of faith may also lead to some good stuff in campaign.

Similarly, "fighters who hang back from combat or attempt to steal, or fail to boldly lead," make for nice "cowardly lions" and other types. Conan was a mighty warrior, but he was also a thief. As were Fafhrd and Grey Mouser.

"Magic-users who seek to engage in melee or ignore magic items they could employ in crucial situations?" I'm playing that PC right now- 90% of the time, he channels his magic into his breath weapon...he wears scale mail & shield, and wields a Maul.

"Thieves who boldly engage in frontal attacks or refrain from acquisition of an extra bit of treasure when the opportunity presents itself?" Perhaps he's trying to attone for something, aspiring to be something greater. Perhaps he is merely a talented idiot/luckless adventurer who hasn't found his proper niche in the world, and can't convince someone to buy him proper armor and weapons.

Glyfair

Explorer
The problem arises when there IS someone to fill the role, and they refuse to do it.

As far as characters not pulling their weight, THAT gets really frustrating.
Interestingly enough, that's not what it is all about. Note that the rogue stealing off the top goes against the party. So, working as a team is not completely what this is all about.

Woas

First Post
No, I don't agree with the description. Why should a thief always be selfishly searching for ill-gotten gold under the nose of fellow party members for example? If you choose to roleplay a character that isn't a 1-dimensional stereotype, it makes you a poor performer? That is absurd.

Arnwyn

First Post
If I were still playing 1e, then yes, I would agree.

Even today, I'd somewhat agree with the first two (cleric & fighter).

op1983

First Post
Another way to say it would be, if you build your character to fit a certain role and then don't perform that role then you fail.

I more or less agree.

Having played with players that made characters who couldn´t pull their weight i can say that this is really no fun.

Also if you are playing that character...

Clerics who refuse to heal or a rogue who refuses to sneak up from behind because of the chance to miss with sneak attack is annoying for a DM as well as the other players...

But: i also DMed or played in parties with characters who fullfilled a different role than what the oter players thhought... it is fun, but not all the time!

Remove ads