[July 2015] What Are You Reading?

delericho

Legend
How is Middlemarch?

It's okay. It's very much a slice of life in the town, where a bunch of stuff happens but there's no one big event to tie it all together. To be honest, if you got bogged down with Owen Meany, I would expect you to struggle with this too. (They're very different books, but I've read both fairly recently and enjoyed OM considerably more. And I had no problem with OM but did find MM something of a chore.)

delericho

Legend
Incidentally, I finished "Middlemarch" on the 1st, and have now read half of both the Pathfinder AP and "The Silkworm". I'm enjoying the latter a great deal.

Nellisir

Hero
It's okay. It's very much a slice of life in the town, where a bunch of stuff happens but there's no one big event to tie it all together. To be honest, if you got bogged down with Owen Meany, I would expect you to struggle with this too. (They're very different books, but I've read both fairly recently and enjoyed OM considerably more. And I had no problem with OM but did find MM something of a chore.)

I'm not really bogged down with Owen Meany, it's just my mood. I'm barely finishing a newspaper article right now. ;)

delericho

Legend
I finished "The Silkworm" last night. Like its predecessor, "The Cuckoo's Calling" it's well-written, but I find this to be the better novel - TCC had a big problem with the resolution which sorely weakened the novel, while "The Silkworm" does not.

I'm hoping to finish up the Pathfinder AP either today or tomorrow - I'm flying out at the weekend and would rather take a selection of 'fresh' books with me, rather than one I'll finish quickly and then have to cart around with me.

My planned books for the trip are "Lord of Runes" by Dave Gross, "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez, "La Vicomte de Bragelone" by Dumas (the first part of the third volume in his Musketeers series), and "Through Every Human Heart" by Janice Brown. That last is the second novel by a friend of mine, and will be the one I read on the flight out.

That should last me a day or two!

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I started two books this month -

Dirty Job, by Christopher Moore. I've done this as an audiobook, and *loved* it. The sequel is coming out, so Barnes and Noble has the eBook available for cheap!

Lightning, by Dean Koontz. Another re-read, but the original read might have been two decades ago.

But then, a friend of mine handed me his copy of

The Martian, by Andy Weir. This book is dangerous. It isn't the best written piece of fiction in the world, but I have this desperate need to know what's going to happen next. If I am not careful, I can stay up way too late reading this thing. I am looking forward to the movie.

Finishing Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy (not bad, but reminiscent of Wheel of Time on numerous aspects). After that, I'm not sure. Going to try and find another fantasy series that's completed.

AR

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The Martian, by Andy Weir. This book is dangerous. It isn't the best written piece of fiction in the world, but I have this desperate need to know what's going to happen next. If I am not careful, I can stay up way too late reading this thing. I am looking forward to the movie.

This book was, overall - awesome! It was the most compelling book I've picked up in a long time.

Rereading the Belgariad by David Eddings...it's easily been 25 years, so it's a nice quick read.

I've been trying to get into the Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erickson...I've been told that this is really good, but I'm having an extremely difficult time getting involved in the story. I had the same problem with Eye of the World when I first read it, too....not as bad as this one, though.

Richards

Legend
I picked up Blue Labyrinth, the 14th (!) book in the "Agent Pendergast series by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. I've been waiting for half a year for it to be published in paperback, as I have the rest of the series in paperback. Anyway, three days after purchase I'm almost 300 pages into it, and it's been a very enjoyable read (as I would have expected).

Johnathan

Remove ads