• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[July] What are you reading?

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
I'm reading Night of Knives by Ian Cameron Esselmont, which is the first novel by him set in the world of the Malazan Empire so brilliantly realised by Steven Erickson in his series The Malazan Books of the Fallen, which everyone must read. Before starting that, I reread ALL the released Malazan books by Erickson, BACKWARDS.

Well, I read each book FORWARDS, but I read them in reverse order, starting with number 5 and finishing with number 1. It says something about Erickson's creation that it wasn't all that notably out of sequence -- except for a couple of very large plots, much of the story is told out of sequence anyways, so getting it in a DIFFERENT non-linear sequence was actually pretty interesting.

Erickson is blowing me away so much these days. Just utterly blowing me away.

Malakor

First Post
Currently Reading Murder on teh Lusitania by Conrad Allen, the first of a series of novels set in the early 1900's about a former Pinkerton detective working for Cunard. Each book has a murder mystery set on a different vessel. They are enjoyable reads, even when you've read them in reverse order :)

Next in my stack is The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. It features the same primary character as thier novel The Relic (You remember, they made a terrible movie out of that one about 10 years ago or so? The book was MUCH better).

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Supporter
Critical Care Certification: Preparation, Review, & Practice Exams, 4th Edition by Thomas Ahrens & Donna Prentice.

It's for my CCRN which means about an extra $175 a month in my paycheck. Otherwise, I'd rather gouge out my eyes than read anymore.

Dakkareth

First Post
barsoomcore said:
Well, I read each book FORWARDS, but I read them in reverse order, starting with number 5 and finishing with number 1. It says something about Erickson's creation that it wasn't all that notably out of sequence -- except for a couple of very large plots, much of the story is told out of sequence anyways, so getting it in a DIFFERENT non-linear sequence was actually pretty interesting.

On my last re-read I went like 4-1-5-2-3, but I think I'll try the backwards reading thing next. Of course as I'm giving GotM to my sister and to a friend after that in order to spread the word, it's probably for the best anyway ... ;)

And I'm currently reading Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. I saw it recommended many times before, but the crucial recommendation came from Shemeska, to whom ripvanwormer suggested it. Both are the kind of people I'm utterly awed by, so I finally got two of his bools. And here I am, enjoying the fantastic, whacky, brilliant ride. Good thing I got The Scar already so I can continue tomorrow ...

If you play any kind of steampunk game, CoC, Planescape or in a similar setting, this is an absolute must. If not, it's still so full of brilliant ideas that you should read it anyway. I have found the missing member of my personal author pantheon :).

Malakor said:
Next in my stack is The Cabinet of Curiosities by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. It features the same primary character as thier novel The Relic (You remember, they made a terrible movie out of that one about 10 years ago or so? The book was MUCH better).

Cabinet wasn't bad. I felt a little let down by the ending. Be sure to go to P&C's web page and read the alternate ending afterwards. The next one, Still life with Crows was quite good. I am hoping to start Brimstone (the next one in series after Crows) this week.

Have you read any other P&C? I really enjoyed The Ice Limit.

Last edited:

DaveStebbins

First Post
Finished Rankin's Nostradamus Ate My Hamster and found it a quite funny and thoroughly enjoyable work. Very tongue in cheek.

Not sure what's up next. I have a 13 hour drive on Tuesday and 20 hours in the car the following Sunday-Monday, so I'll cruise a few library branches tomorrow to see what I can find for books on CD.

-Dave

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Just read about 195 pages. And if I didn't have to be at work in five hours, I'd keep on reading! :mad:

;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads