• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

jumping and attacks in mid-air

Mystendanian

First Post
Are there any rules anywhere that govern PC's jumping to attack something with a melee weapon?

Here's the scenario. I put my group against a huge party of orcs lead by a winged half-fiend orc. The only archer of the group was surrounded by orcs leaving our unfettered assassin to take on the flying one. He has a ring of jump and a strength of 20 and dual-wields scimitars. The orc was 30' up in the air. The assassin made his jump check to reach the orc and I ruled that he could attack once. Would the winged orc gotten an attack of opportunity? What kind of minuses should the assassin have faced?

Your input is appreciated.

Myst

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Yes, there are rules -- the Jump skill covers the movement, and it's standad after that.

Yes, the flyer should have gotten an AoO -- leaving a threatened square (or cube, in this case) provokes.

I don't think I'd give any penalties for hitting, though I'd require a Jump check high enough to reach the half-fiend orc.

Yes, the flyer should have gotten an AoO -- leaving a threatened square (or cube, in this case) provokes.

I don't think there would be an AoO the round the attack took place, since the attacker would be entering a threatened square, not leaving it. There would, however, be an AoO the next round (assuming the orc hadn't moved) when the player was forced to continue his jump (the falling part).

Also, Spring Attack would, I believe, allow a player to jump, attack once, and then fall (or continue the jump) in a single round, as jumping would be a part of movement.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads