• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[June] What are you reading?

Rabelais

First Post
This month's books

The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox by Barry Hughart I can't recomend this enough. It's an exciting adventure story (actually 3 separate novels together in one volume) set in 7th Century CE China. It's brilliant, exciting, funny and romantic. Everything that good Fantasy should be.

This is the blurb from the jacket

Barry Hughart once remarked that he was inspired to write fantasy when he noticed that the characters of ancient Chinese fiction tended to finish their careers as gods in the Chinese pantheon, which is certainly as good a reason as any.

His Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox (Bridge of Birds, The Story of the Stone, and Eight Skilled Gentlemen) are rollicking, witty and original romps, intelligently written and engagingly funny in all the best ways, (meaning they aren't only funny). Now The Stars Our Destination brings all three books together into one omnibus volume, for the benefit of discerning readers everywhere. The award-winning Bridge of Birds introduces us to Master Li Kao,

Hughart's aged scholar with a "slight flaw in his character"; we see this remarkable old man through the eyes of his assistant, Number Ten Ox, the orphaned young man from the village of Ku-fu, whose most noble attributes are his strength, his purity of heart, and his lust...for life. Together, the two embark on a series of quests set against China's mythical landscape, and on the road they encounter gods, goddesses, demons, vampire-ghouls, puppeteers, poets and ghosts. To succeed in finding the truth, they steal, scheme, deceive, and generally cause mayhem for the ungodly. Master LI's penchant for plotting elaborate hoaxes is matched only by Ox's determination and loyalty, and in the end Right does defeat Might, Good triumphs over Evil and the innocent are indeed redeemed--if not quite in the manner that the reader might have expected

Pants

First Post
Andrew D. Gable said:
Pretty good. Didn't like it at first, but it's grown on me. How's Gaiman's other stuff?
American Gods and Good Omens are fantastic. Good Omens is especially hilarious.

Welverin

First Post
The Book of Taltos by Brust
Exalted the Abyssals
And I picked up my comics on the weekend so I'll be reading those as well.

Tetsubo

First Post
The Discovery of Time. It looks at how time is measured by man, how it effects us biologically and the physics of time.

Datt

First Post
I am now in book four of the Saga of Recluce. The twelth book in the series was just released last month, but it will be a while before I get to that. Each books seems to be getting bigger. The last two have been around 600 pages and it is taking me about a week to read each. So I should be ready for it about August. :)

Yraen

First Post
What You Reading?

I've just finished Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix. Okay, but could have done with less padding. Is J.K. trying to be the new J.R.R. Tolkien?

I'm reading at the "City of" Angel book, but mainly because my group has just started the Angel RPG.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads