Just Curious ... Hom many come from AD&D?

Breakdaddy

First Post
I started with the red basic D&D box in the early 80's. I went from there to 1e then continued to upgrade through the revisions. I still occasionally break out the old Rules Cyclopedia for some old school gaming goodness.

I started with Advanced Fighting Fantasy (1993), played lots of 2e starting in 1994-95 (and ran a little bit of it), then went to Alternity, 3e (as soon as it came out) and finally D20 Modern.

I ran a long-term Alternity campaign (the campaign wouldn't die, which is unusual for my group :D ) and same goes for D20 Modern.

When it came to 3e, I had to drag the group kicking and screaming into it, but now, nobody in the group runs 2e anymore. I do find people who prefer 2e to 3e, but they're few and far between.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
1979-1984 = Basic/Expert D&D (started with the Holmes basic set) and AD&D. Some Runequest, Dragonquest, Star Frontiers, Traveller, Stormbringer, etc. as well.
1983-1988 = Some AD&D, but mainly Middle-Earth Roleplaying, Rolemaster, GURPS, and other stuff.
1988-1992 = Only spordic gaming, including Basic/Expert/RC D&D, and Rolemaster.
1993-1999 = Very little gaming (some RC D&D, some MERP).
1999-2000 = Short Rolemaster (RMSS) campaign, that fell apart after 6 sessions.
2001-2002 = First 3e D&D campaign. Lasted about one year (final year of grad school).
2004-2005 = Second 3e D&D campaign. Also lasted about one year. Sporadic 'one-shots' of other systems (e.g. Buffy).
2004- now = Castles and Crusades campaign, plus some WFRP 2e. (I am moving to Ireland soon, so who knows what future gaming will involve?)

:cool:

Soel

First Post
I started in '94 with 2e...First exposure was in 83 with the cartoon, and 84 with one of those "choose your adventure" books. Just moved to 3.5 last year, and am not looking back! (I would read another of those choose your adventure books though!)

Pinotage

Explorer
Count me in as one of those that started with Basic D&D around 1984, moving on to AD&D and then taking a break, completely missing 2e, before starting again with 3e.

Pinotage

crystal

First Post
I started playin D&D in 1997 by the ad&d books. It lasted for about a year. I started playin again a little over a year ago when we got the new books. I love it. I am sooo addicted. We play every friday night.

Remove ads