• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just got Dragon 315 - Campaign Classics

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Erik Mona said:
I doubt that a regular magazine like this would sell in the numbers required to keep a magazine afloat (in the tens of thousands). I think there's a very good chance the Dragon staff might end up doing this more frequently, however.

More frequently? Hmmm... perhaps yearly (as October is to Horror, etc., perhaps another month could be to Blasts from the Past)?

I suppose we're not actually talking Annual here... :)

dlane001

First Post
Snapdragyn said:
I'd really like to include the sha'ir as a playable class, especially since I'm now planning on having genies much more involved in the world. Anyone have suggestions on homebrew revisions to the class -- either ways to make the casting system better so they're more of a sorcerer/wizard alternative, or changes to give them a focus outside of their (IMO) incredibly weak casting abilities? I'd never heard of Al Qadim before this issue, so I'd especially appreciate suggestions from those more familiar with the original flavor of the class.

Well, as I said in an earlier post, my belief is the sha'ir is more of a negotiator, diplomat and advisor. Yes, he has access to spells, but really only to make him mechanically playable (however limited) in a D&D setting.

My recommendation is to boost his access to genie allies. "Call Jann" should be available much earlier, but in a limited fashion. Use the Savage Species supplement to present limited-ability Jann, Djinn, Efreet, Dao and Marid as balanced sha'ir allies. Also, provide the sha'ir with opportunities to acquire the services of Tasked Genies, something not addressed in any of the Monster Manuals or Manual of the Planes. Tasked genies, first presented in Al-Qadim, focus on a specific profession or job. For example, a scribe genie, a harem guard genie, a warmaster genie (i.e. a general for your forces), etc. This allows you to limit their abilities to a specific arena and maintain game balance. A scribe genie is a useful roleplaying tool, but not great at combat. But hey, a CR2 scribe genie might still kick some serious butt in a low level campaign.

Anyway, just my thoughts.

-Derek

Silveras

First Post
Snapdragyn said:
I'd really like to include the sha'ir as a playable class, especially since I'm now planning on having genies much more involved in the world. Anyone have suggestions on homebrew revisions to the class -- either ways to make the casting system better so they're more of a sorcerer/wizard alternative, or changes to give them a focus outside of their (IMO) incredibly weak casting abilities? I'd never heard of Al Qadim before this issue, so I'd especially appreciate suggestions from those more familiar with the original flavor of the class.

You may want to try this question in the House Rules forum, you may get more answers there.

In an earlier post, I suggested that the Sha'Ir would make a better Prestige Class, after a character has gained a few levels of regular Sorcerer or Wizard. My view differs from DLane001, obviously. ;)

Silver Moon

Adventurer
My copy just came yesterday (mail must be slow due to Christmas). This was a real treat to an old timer like myself. With the exception of Kara-Tur our weekly campaign never used these settings, but I played a number of them at gaming conventions, so this issue was a trip down memory lane. Great job guys!

Artimoff

First Post
Erik Mona said:
It's not that there was a publishing error so much as a foul-up in the process that resulted in a couple-day delay, which then put off shipping until after Thanksgiving.

But same difference, really.

How 'bout that awesome Greyhawk article in Dragon #315?

;)

--Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dungeon Magazine

You mean yet another article that is just Feats? If I never see another new feat, spell or monster I'll have seen 50 more than I want.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Now, now, Artimoff. Pity the poor Greyhawk fan. We didn't get flashy color hardcovers with all kinds of rules. I'm just trying to help my brothers and sisters. ;)

--Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dungeon Magazine

Artimoff

First Post
Erik Mona said:
Now, now, Artimoff. Pity the poor Greyhawk fan. We didn't get flashy color hardcovers with all kinds of rules. I'm just trying to help my brothers and sisters. ;)

--Erik Mona
Editor-in-Chief
Dungeon Magazine

I don't blame you, it's the crunchy bits people who will burn when it's their time to face St. Peter. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads