• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just got Netflix. Name some great old movies.

Adeodatus

First Post
Don't forget The Thin Man series. There is nothing like the alcoholic banter of the William Powell and Myrna Loy.
Additionally, check out Cool Hand Luke to discover why people like Paul Newman.

CCamfield

First Post
WayneLigon said:
Love, love that movie. "The window box? We've never had yellow fever there before!"

I'll never forget that amazing look on Cary Grant's face... :) Highly recommended.

I'd also like to recommend another favourite Cary Grant film - actually Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant: Charade. It's a great Hitchcockian suspense film from the 60s - not directed by Hitchcock, but very much in his style.

If you haven't watched many Hitchcock films, North by Northwest is a great one, also starring Cary Grant. :)

On a totally different sort of note, the remastered edition of The Adventures of Robin Hood, starring Errol Flynn, is totally gorgeous (beautiful Technicolor from the 1930s... it was just expensive)and a fun film worth renting. But hm, this does occasionally get shown on TV.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Alec Guinness movies. Lots of Alec Guinness movies. The Lady Killers, Captain's Paradise, Lavender Hill Mob, Kind Hears and Coronets.

Whiskey Galore (also titled A Tight Little Island).

Sabrina (with Bogart).

The Lion in Winter (my all time favorite movie).

Bedazzled (with Dudley Moore)

The Doctor and the Devils (about Burke and Hare).

The Haunting of Hill House.

The Man Who Would be King.

Alfred Hitchcock movies. Rebecca being my favorite.)

The Auld Grump

LeapingShark

First Post
TCM & AMC are also great for classic movies, Maltese Falcon & Thin Man are both showing next Saturday, and you can catch most of those mentioned every month.

Best D&D movie that not enough people have seen is Flesh & Blood (1985, Rutger Hauer & Jennifer Jason Leigh). It's a movie in the tradition of George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire novels, I'd wouldn't be surprised if old George was influenced by it in some way.

Last edited:

Maxwell's Demon

First Post
Have yourself a Cary Grant festival. I tend to prefer his comedies. Get Ye therefore:

I Was a Male Warbride
Topper
Operation Petticoat
The Bishop's Wife
Father Goose
Bringing Up Baby
Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
Arsenic and Old Lace

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
Great suggestions here! I'm a huge Bogart fan: he's my mancrush. Watch just about anything that he stars in for a great time.

Philadelphia Story is a fun old romantic comedy, with plenty of rapier dialogue in it. Bringing up Baby is a lousy old romantic comedy: stay away!

The Haunting--the old version--is one of the scariest movies I've ever seen. Definitely check it out, and be prepared for slow-building, subtle, psychological horror. Same thing with The Pit and the Pendulum, which has almost nothing to do with Poe's story.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers is a great old horror movie, but not nearly as scary as the previous two. Instead, watch it for insight into 1950s America: note that both anti-Communists and Communists claimed the movie was propaganda supporting their position, much to the director's dismay.

After searching for it for almost a decade, I've finally discovered a copy of Captain Blood in a local video store: it's Errol Flynn in a piratical swashbuckler. It's next on our movie list.

Daniel

Wombat

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:
Alec Guinness movies. Lots of Alec Guinness movies. The Lady Killers, Captain's Paradise, Lavender Hill Mob, Kind Hears and Coronets.

Whiskey Galore (also titled A Tight Little Island).

Ah! Tastes after my own heart! :) (My grandfather, a native of North Uist in the Hebrides, particularly loved Whiskey Galore...)

Have you thought of a Kurasawa-fest? Sanjuro, Yojimbo, The Seven Samurai, Kagemusha, Ran -- great films, all! They may even inspire games in you. :)

Joker

First Post
Wombat said:
Have you thought of a Kurasawa-fest? Sanjuro, Yojimbo, The Seven Samurai, Kagemusha, Ran -- great films, all! They may even inspire games in you. :)

Oh yeah. Definately check him out.

Further, I can only think of some of the more famous ones like Citizen Kane, The Great Dictator, War and Peace (w Audrey Hepburn) and Dr Strangelove.

I'll have to go through my collection. Give me few days ;).

Remove ads