• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just got The Shadowfell: Gloomwrought and Beyond

Shemeska

Adventurer
I admit curiosity as to how Shemeska is going to respond to this book. Nobody can say they know Planescape if they don't get flashbacks from reading it. There's even someone with the nickname "Basher," which almost has to be a wink from one of the writers.

I haven't looked at it yet. I've been far too busy of late to pay much attention to much online, and I'm working on a planar project of my own at the moment (Paizo's BotD III, the NE fiend/daemon book).

That said, I respect your opinion on such things more than most, so I'll take a look at it and let you know in a week or so what my impression was. Still, most of the interest in this thread has been largely about crunchy rules bits, which isn't my thing, and I've heard that they really changed the Keepers from their 2e/3e origins (where I wrote their Dragon ecology) so I might be a bit biased going into it. But I'll take a look and give you an honest take on it. :)

Riastlin

First Post
Not a must-buy for me; but then, I'm still only a player, not a DM.

Can't help Riastlin with the XP for Aegeri; I just covered for Colmarr, so I'm out of the running on that, now.

Aye, its definitely a DM book, not a player book. That being said though sounds like its got a lot of good material for us DMs. :)

DJINNIMAN

First Post
Very tempted to pick this one up. We've got a dangling thread to the Shadowfell in my campaign and I know almost nothing about it. Then again, next month looks expensive with the new Monster Vault and the Nerath board game.

I wonder if the monsters, at least, will make it into DDI?

Incenjucar

Legend
The monsters, hazards, traps, and items pretty much have to show up in DDI. If they don't there will be a thousand threads on it.

I look forward to the inevitable Minion Traps and Hazards articles in Dragon.

Huh? Why is there a need for such an article? Minion traps are explained in the rules compendium. Or the DM book. Or both.

They don´t have 1 hp. And they don´t do static damage by default.
They are usually one time traps against single enemies IIRC.

Incenjucar

Legend
Huh? Why is there a need for such an article? Minion traps are explained in the rules compendium. Or the DM book. Or both.

They don´t have 1 hp. And they don´t do static damage by default.
They are usually one time traps against single enemies IIRC.

They need an article about it to show you how incorrect you are. :p

Minion traps and hazards do in fact follow minion rules, with some special methods of disabling them so that "hit it" isn't the only answer.

Aegeri

First Post
Minion traps are not inherently one shot traps, you are confusing two different concepts in traps. Some traps are one shot and then never activate again, while others are ongoing and such. Minion traps are specifically designed to function like monsters, but have the rules for traps governing how they function.

They need an article about it to show you how incorrect you are. :p

Minion traps and hazards do in fact follow minion rules, with some special methods of disabling them so that "hit it" isn't the only answer.
Wait till I am at home and can quote the relvant part of the RC.
I am at least sure, that minion traps do not ncessarily have 1hp.

@Aegeri :
Since you have a book with minion traps in it, I respect your authority here. Still, i never said, that all minion traps don´t follow minion rules or are one shot.
The text in the RC, IIRC, was a bit blurry about minion traps.

I dont have my book in front of me, but I certainly remember it states, that minion traps don´t necessaily have just 1 hp. (Which in fact does not exclude minion traps that actually have 1 hp)

I also did at no point state, that all one shot traps are minions. So no, I am not confusing them. I am totally aware, that a glyph of warding is no minion)

edit: in the rules compendium, there are 2 minion traps, te falling iron portculis and the giant rolling boulder, neither having 1 hp (no hp in fact) nor doing static damage (3d8 or 3d10 something)

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
Minion traps, introduced in DMG2, are indeed one-shot traps.

They aren't one hit point only or static damage.

Which isn't to say the revisiting of the concept isn't changing it, but merely to point out- UL isn't wrong, though he may be relying on old information.

Incenjucar

Legend
Regardless of the origin of the concept, an article of minion traps and hazards, including those that follow minion HP rules, would be welcome.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads