• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just got The Shadowfell: Gloomwrought and Beyond

Incenjucar

Legend
Any chance of a list of the monsters (and their levels) in the set?

Thanks in advance!

Midnight Catcher - 8 Soldier
Ilsra, Priest of Orcus - 9 Controller (L)
Veleris a'Lindesta, Sage of History - 9 Elite COntroller
Midnight Drifter - 9 Skirmisher
Midnight Arrow - 10 Artillery
Lis the Vile - 10 Elite Artillery
Dedrek Harskel - 10 Soldier
Street Golem - 10 Soldier
Ghost Talon Heartseeker - 12 Artillery
Ghost Talon Thug - 12 Minion Brute
Zealot of Arem - 12 Minion Soldier
Golthor, Gargoyle Chieftain - 12 Brute
Deathless Blademaster - 12 Soldier
Dearthless Berserker - 13 Brute
Glurinda, Street Hag - 13 Controller
Hearth Golem - 13 Elite Controller
Shadow Stalker Vampire - 13 Lurker
Deathless Sniper - 14 Artillery
Azuun Bennic, Genasi Ambassador - 14 Brute
Feral Vampire - 14 Brute
Ghost Talon Darkblood - 14 Brute
Ghost Talon Death Dealer - 14 Controller (L)
Arem the Heretic - 14 Elite Controller (L)
Tenebrous Assassin - 14 Skirmisher
Tenebrous Conjurer - 15 Artillery
Ebony Initiate - 15 Minion Brute
Grigori, Charnel Brother - 15 Elite Controller
Tenebrous Infiltrator - 15 Lurker
Ebony Knight - 15 Soldier
Nikolai, Charnel Brother - 15 Soldier
Oristus, Marshal of the Talon - 15 Elite Soldier
Ebony Raven Speaker - 16 Artillery
Deathless Mage - 16 Controller (L)
Wall Golem - 16 Elite Lurker
Ebony Thurifer - 16 Skirmisher
Keeper Enforcer - 16 Skirmisher
False Keeper - 17 Elite Controller
Balaren - 17 Elite Soldier (L)
Ulag, Lord of Kazzak'tul - 18 Elite Brute
Bodak Death Drinker - 18 Controller
Widow of the Walk - 18 Solo Controller
Sazha - 19 Elite Skirmisher (L)
Han, Oni Storm Strider - 20 Skirmisher
Feria, the Shadow Angel - 21 Controller
Prince Rolan - 21 Elite Soldier (L)
Vorkhesis, Master of Fate - 30 Elite Lurker.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
So far, it reads great. The book seems DENSE with content. I could have used less about the city, and more of the stuff outside of the city, but this is a fluff filled (with tasty, crunchy bits) book. So far, I'd recommend it, but I've not even read half yet....

Incenjucar

Legend
Thanks for offering to answer questions. How intentional was the Sigil-like feel of Gloomwrought? Were you directly inspired or was it just a happy coincidence?

erikscottdebie

First Post
I welcome questions and the opportunity to talk about a project I enjoyed and am very proud of. I don't know which of us could be considered the lead designer on this--it was actually a really collaborative team project--but I do know that I wrote a LOT of it. So we'll see. :)

Caveat: I can only speak for myself, mind, and if anything comes up that Matt or Andy are better placed to answer, I might have to defer to them or just shrug and call it a mystery.

How intentional was the Sigil-like feel of Gloomwrought? Were you directly inspired or was it just a happy coincidence?
A little of both.

Though the concept of multifarious factions was definitely part of the project from the beginning, Sigil was never directly mentioned in our planning sessions. However, I am a big Planescape fan from back in the day, so I can safely say it was part of my inspiration.

(I was also relatively fresh off work on the Plane Above book, so I was definitely thinking on a planar scale. In the game, a planar traveler might well think of Gloomwrought as "shadow Sigil"--though Gloomwrought has its own rules and perils that Sigil doesn't, which can spell doom for an unwary traveler.)

My main concept/vision of Gloomwrought combines Sigil, Dark City (keepers, anyone?), and the "London by Night" talked about above, with a little bit of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere thrown in for good measure.

Cheers

AnthonyRoberson

First Post
I am somewhat disappointed that Gloomwrought offers virtually no support for heroic level characters and no synergy with Heroes of Shadow. Where will my 1st level vampires and blackguards go for adventure?

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
I am somewhat disappointed that Gloomwrought offers virtually no support for heroic level characters and no synergy with Heroes of Shadow. Where will my 1st level vampires and blackguards go for adventure?

Well, my wife's 1st level Blackguard of Fury and my 1st level Vamp were minding their own business while traveling south from Fallcrest when we got sucked into a Shadow Fall and are now trying to figure out how to get home... well she is, I might stay in the Shadowfell as I like not burning up in the sun...

D&D Encounters season 5: Dark Legacy of Evard started last week and will go for another 12 weeks. Come and join us, we are way out of our depth, and my vamp is hoping the Raven Queens minions don't notice my undead self...

In Shadowy Service,

Remove ads