• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just having fun, but.. can someone help me out optimize?

Minifig

First Post
level 30
Wilden, Warden|Shaman, Horned Champion, Lorekeeper
Hybrid Warden: Hybrid Warden Fortitude
Companion Spirit (Hybrid): Protector Spirit (Hybrid)
Hybrid Shaman: Hybrid Shaman Fortitude
Hybrid Talent: Warden's Armored Might
Guardian Might: Wildblood
Hardy Form: Hardy Form Fortitude
Lorekeeper's Revelation: Wellspring of Life
Lorekeeper's Revelation: Triumphant Vigor
Background: Akanûl (Akanûl Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 25, Con 18, Dex 12, Int 12, Wis 22, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 18, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 31 Fort: 35 Reflex: 26 Will: 31
HP: 221 Surges: 14 Surge Value: 55

TRAINED SKILLS
Perception +26, Nature +28, Dungeoneering +26

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +16, Arcana +16, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Endurance +19, Heal +21, History +16, Insight +21, Intimidate +15, Religion +16, Stealth +18, Streetwise +15, Thievery +16, Athletics +22

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
Level 4: Improved Initiative
Level 6: Toughness
Level 8: Improved Aspect of Nature
Level 10: Mobile Spirit
Level 11: Nimble Spirit
Level 12: Resilient Spirit
Level 14: Vengeful Grasp
Level 16: Beshaba's Boon
Level 18: Guardian Spirit
Level 20: Forest Walk
Level 21: Awaken Aspect
Level 22: Ephemeral Spirit
Level 24: Superior Initiative
Level 26: Ancient Wisdom
Level 28: Second Skin
Level 30: Durable

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Wrath of Winter
Hybrid at-will 1: Weight of Earth
Hybrid encounter 1: Wildblood Frenzy
Hybrid daily 1: Form of Winter's Herald
Hybrid utility 2: Triumphant Vigor
Hybrid encounter 3: Spirit of Slavering Bloodlust
Hybrid daily 5: Wind of Pain and Succor
Hybrid utility 6: Herder of Hulculmak
Hybrid encounter 7: Guardian's Pounce
Hybrid daily 9: Form of the Oak Sentinel
Hybrid utility 10: Spiritual Rejuvenation
Hybrid encounter 13: Spirits of the Forsaken Vale (replaces Wildblood Frenzy)
Hybrid daily 15: Tree Father's Bounty (replaces Form of Winter's Herald)
Hybrid utility 16: Cleansing Earth
Hybrid encounter 17: Spirit Lance (replaces Spirit of Slavering Bloodlust)
Hybrid daily 19: Wind of Death and Mercy (replaces Wind of Pain and Succor)
Hybrid utility 22: Wellspring of Life
Hybrid encounter 23: Startling Savagery (replaces Guardian's Pounce)
Hybrid daily 25: Form of the Night Hunter (replaces Form of the Oak Sentinel)
Hybrid encounter 27: Hunter in the Sky (replaces Spirits of the Forsaken Vale)
Hybrid daily 29: Spirit of Fiery Hatred (replaces Tree Father's Bounty)
----

The ultimate goal here:

An unaligned Wilden Warden/Shaman hybrid who worships Mielikki (don't ask.. it's part of my character's weird story! .. if you want to know.. note me.. :) )focused around Wildblood, with a background of Akanûl, who has a paragon path Horned Champion and and epic destiny of Lorekeeper (requires 21 int or 21 wisdom).

Ideal powers / feats: Things that work around the party make up:

Our party make up:

Bahamut worshipping Paladin.
Two rogues. (One is a drow .. the other I think is a Half elf..) One is unaligned... not sure of the other.
A Wizard.-unknown alignment
Mage (and may occasionally be a cleric.. they still are confusing the crap out of the group and can't make up their mind what they want to play). -Unknown alignment
Artificer -unknown alignment.

Trying to optimize this character out so that it can do some pretty decent damage and still take a beating.. I'd really, really like to keep the Wilden as my DM and I are working on a pretty awesome story for my character.

Thanks for the help! :D

----

I'm probably if this works out, going to level him up one level at a time.. he'd currently be level 2 with 1,540 XP. :)

Last edited:

DracoSuave

First Post
The interesting thing here, is that you're asking for decent damage out of this, but you're picking the most -defensive- shaman build to help it along.

Heavy Blades are a terrible choice for a Shaman, as they get little to no use out of them. You need a weapon type that can be a totemic weapon--otherwise you'll have to swap out weapons to use Shaman powers. Seeing as you need a weapon for Warden's Fury, and a totem for Spirit Shield, you don't have the opportunity to swap. That pretty much leaves you with a totemic weapon.

Honestly, if your goal is defending the party, then just be a straight up Warden. Don't mess around with the Shaman, as it's not helping you do what Wardens do, and it's diluting your secondary aim of dealing damage.

A better Warden build to go with the Shaman is the Life Warden. Instead of trying to maximize your damage (which isn't what Wardens are good at) you're making it damn near impossible for enemies to take down your friends. Your enemies will have a harder time taking down your friends when your Bear spirit is healing them... and you are giving them temporary hit points. This allows you to settle into the secondary defender role, allowing the paladin to do what he does best, and be at the fore front against the big targets.

Paladins excel at defending against single targets. Wardens are better against hordes. Plan your builds accordingly.

Last edited:

Shin Okada

Explorer
At higher level, Multi-Classing works often better than Hybrid. A Hybrid character must buy some important class features via Hybrid Talent feats. And even if he does, those are often Hybrid version, an inferior ones.

Now, in case of Warden/Shaman, I largely prefer being a Warden with Shaman multiclass feats. Either Lifespirit or Wild Warden will be the natural choices, as their secondary ability score is Wis. You have full class features, HPs & healing surges as a warden. Yet can have some (or a lot of) shaman powers.

In this case, by taking Spirit Talker, you now have Call Spirit Companion power. You need to use a standard action for this power by default (I mean when you just take Spirit Talker feat). But at Paragon Tier, you can take Nimble Spirit feat to make it a free action in your turn, regardless of it's original action type.

And by taking Mending Spirit feat, you can use Healing Spirit once per encounter. This is very strong comparing to other leader class multiclass feats, as they allow you to use healing powers such as Healing Word only once per day.

Then, take power-swapping feats as many as you want. You may choose Paragon Multiclassing or just take some other Paragon Path (either Warden's or Shaman's).

Minifig

First Post
The interesting thing here, is that you're asking for decent damage out of this, but you're picking the most -defensive- shaman build to help it along.

I was thinking that additional heals would help.. and I was picking powers that looked interesting to me the first time I went through the Character Builder, but I was hoping someone else would be able to help me go through and solidify a good base of over-whelmingly Warden-like powers, then if we need it, the additional heals, with the added benefit of the shaman's spirit to do extra damage and defensive boosts.

A better Warden build to go with the Shaman is the Life Warden. Instead of trying to maximize your damage (which isn't what Wardens are good at) you're making it damn near impossible for enemies to take down your friends. Your enemies will have a harder time taking down your friends when your Bear spirit is healing them... and you are giving them temporary hit points. This allows you to settle into the secondary defender role, allowing the paladin to do what he does best, and be at the fore front against the big targets.

This would allow me to.. sit somewhat in the back, and beat things to bloody little pulps but still maintain a high amount of survivability I assume? ... That'd be fantastic!

I think our paladin does like being the central focus of combat.. I don't know though.

If you get a moment Draco (or heck anyone), could you help me plan like the first ten levels of powers on this guy so I could see what I think? I get one Frost weapon (it was a reward for our first quest.. and was given to us for free) of any type..

I should also have 315 gold minus the cost of initial items bought.

Minifig

First Post
Now, in case of Warden/Shaman, I largely prefer being a Warden with Shaman multiclass feats. Either Lifespirit or Wild Warden will be the natural choices, as their secondary ability score is Wis. You have full class features, HPs & healing surges as a warden. Yet can have some (or a lot of) shaman powers.

In this case, by taking Spirit Talker, you now have Call Spirit Companion power. You need to use a standard action for this power by default (I mean when you just take Spirit Talker feat). But at Paragon Tier, you can take Nimble Spirit feat to make it a free action in your turn, regardless of it's original action type.

And by taking Mending Spirit feat, you can use Healing Spirit once per encounter. This is very strong comparing to other leader class multiclass feats, as they allow you to use healing powers such as Healing Word only once per day.

Then, take power-swapping feats as many as you want. You may choose Paragon Multiclassing or just take some other Paragon Path (either Warden's or Shaman's).

*Nods* These are the primary reasons I wanted to go Warden/Shaman if I do try this Hybrid path. It looked like a really awesome build, and you pointed out all of the interesting things I saw I liked about it.

spayne

First Post
Nimble Spirit does not work with MC Shaman since it requires you to have the Companion Spirit class feature. The MC feat does not give you this class feature. For MC Shaman there is the Sudden Call feat that only works once per encounter.

Minifig

First Post
Well.. I thought about it, and I decided to try something interesting:

level 30
Wilden, Warden|Druid, Horned Champion, Lorekeeper
Hybrid Warden: Hybrid Warden Fortitude
Hybrid Druid: Hybrid Druid Reflex
Hybrid Talent: Font of Life
Hardy Form: Hardy Form Fortitude
Lorekeeper's Revelation: Bear's Endurance
Lorekeeper's Revelation: Wellspring of Life
Background: Akanûl (Akanûl Benefit)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 22, Con 21, Dex 12, Int 12, Wis 22, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 14, Con 11, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 8.

AC: 32 Fort: 34 Reflex: 28 Will: 32
HP: 224 Surges: 15 Surge Value: 56

TRAINED SKILLS
Nature +28, Perception +26, Dungeoneering +26

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +16, Arcana +16, Bluff +15, Diplomacy +15, Endurance +20, Heal +21, History +16, Insight +21, Intimidate +15, Religion +16, Stealth +18, Streetwise +15, Thievery +16, Athletics +21

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Improved Initiative
Level 4: Improved Aspect of Nature
Level 6: Durable
Level 8: Strong-Willed Summoning
Level 10: Skill Power
Level 11: Wild Sage
Level 12: Swift Jaguar
Level 14: Hide Armor Expertise
Level 16: Improved Second Wind
Level 18: Combat Anticipation
Level 20: Paragon Defenses
Level 21: Tangling Grasp
Level 22: Second Skin
Level 24: Toughness
Level 26: Superior Initiative
Level 28: Elemental Boon
Level 30: Primal Resurgence

POWERS
Hybrid at-will 1: Tempest Assault
Hybrid at-will 1: Storm Spike
Skill Power: Spot Weakness
Hybrid encounter 1: Warden's Sacrifice
Hybrid daily 1: Form of Winter's Herald
Hybrid utility 2: Resist Energy
Hybrid encounter 3: Tundra Wind
Hybrid daily 5: Summon Stalking Panther
Hybrid utility 6: Bear's Endurance
Hybrid encounter 7: Guardian's Pounce
Hybrid daily 9: Form of the Oak Sentinel
Hybrid utility 10: Spiritual Rejuvenation
Hybrid encounter 13: Twin-Horned Bolt (replaces Warden's Sacrifice)
Hybrid daily 15: Summon Razorclaw Bat (replaces Form of Winter's Herald)
Hybrid utility 16: Cleansing Earth
Hybrid encounter 17: Leap of the Relentless Hunter (replaces Tundra Wind)
Hybrid daily 19: Summon Guardian Briar (replaces Summon Stalking Panther)
Hybrid utility 22: Wellspring of Life
Hybrid encounter 23: Sky's Reach (replaces Guardian's Pounce)
Hybrid daily 25: Form of the Night Hunter (replaces Form of the Oak Sentinel)
Hybrid encounter 27: Polar Blast (replaces Twin-Horned Bolt)
Hybrid daily 29: Form of the Imperious Phoenix (replaces Summon Razorclaw Bat)

ITEMS
Hide Armor-- Not complete list of items.. not sure what else he should use..

He looks.. pretty damn amazing. :D

DracoSuave

First Post
I'm kinda curious as to what purpose the hybrid Shaman or Druid is supposed to accomplish.

I get that your character serves Mielikki... thing is, that's not that unusual at all for a primal character. And that's kinda the point, druids and shamans are no more of a primal character than a warden. The Warden class pretty much covers all the primal Mielikki worshipping background you'll ever need.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Nimble Spirit does not work with MC Shaman since it requires you to have the Companion Spirit class feature. The MC feat does not give you this class feature. For MC Shaman there is the Sudden Call feat that only works once per encounter.

Ah thanks I missed that class feature part.

Yet, MC shaman seems to be a very useful build. As being mainly a warden, he does not need to put spirits in dangerous position as often as the shaman does. And free action conjuration per encounter will be usually enough.

Remove ads