Pathfinder 1E Just how compatible is Pathfinder?

Cyberzombie

Explorer
One of the main hurdles to me completely buying into Pathfinder is the large amount of 3rd Edition material I have. Originally I had seen that as an incentive, but this thread has made me feel somewhat otherwise.

Well, it depends on what you've got that you want to use. Most of your spells, feats, monsters, and adventures are probably just fine. Most magic items should be fine, too. Classes and prestige classes would be the main area where I'd say dump 3e for Pathfinder.

I'm not quite sure I understand the purpose behind CMB (I think that's what it is called... the number to attempt trips and such.) Honestly, I'm fuzzy on 3rd Edition, so -Pathfinder or not- I'd have to brush up on the rules, but CMB seems to be pretty much the same as how you'd perform some of the moves attached to it anyway.

CMD/CMB gives one unified mechanic for all combat maneuvers, as noted, and makes it much easier to actually do them. Yeah, disarms and grapples and bull rushes were never *hard*, but they add extra subsystems. Subsystems I never bothered with, personally, especially since I play lots of other game systems, too.

A few people have mentioned that the overall power level of Pathfinder seems to be higher. Is the meant more in reference to the classes or the world in general? I like the idea of some of the classes getting a boost, but I'm unsure how I feel toward the idea of a more over-the-top world.

Everyone gets a feat every odd level (or HD), so heroes and monsters alike have slightly more feats at high level. I haven't analyzed all the monsters, but the ones I've used seem otherwise equivalent to 3e. PCs are definitely stronger. We're not talking huge power creep. Say, 10-20% more powerful? Not huge, but noticable. Wizards and clerics would be more on the 10% end -- fighters are definitely more on the 20% end, which I think is justified. They're also a HELL of a lot more interesting than they were before, and very versatile, especially with the Advanced PHB.

Remove ads