• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just how desperate are you?

Duskblade

Banned
Banned
None whatsoever. Two groups; one game every week, alternating between groups.

My primary group is considering starting up a second campaign as we can't get enough D&D. If we do it'll be in Eberron using the Pathfinder ruleset.

Jeff Wilder

First Post
10 bucks is less than a movie. If it were a good DM, with a good gaming area and accessories, I'd pay it for a six hour session. No question.

I buy a lot of stuff for our games. I've considered asking for contributions each session. The only reason I haven't is the income disparity in our group. Some of us make $100K+ and some of us make $30K-, which in the Bay Area, believe me, is barely a living wage. If the cost is up-front, as the game is being recruited, I think it's completely reasonable. I think it's reasonable without the promise of food and drink, personally, assuming my caveats above.

genshou

First Post
This made me double-take. I can't imagine paying for a game, let alone putting up with someone I can't get along with, just to play D&D. If I don't like everyone at the table, then it just isn't D&D to me. And paying for it just seems... dirty.

So anyway, I'm curious to see just what lengths people have gone to for their D&D fix. Travelling for hours, sitting next to farters or 'those who don't use soap', or paying to play, or putting up with annoying people, or whatever... what have you done to keep playing?
I'm with you. I spend enough already on books; I'm not going to deal with crappy circumstances when I could easily run a game online, or migrate to a different local gaming group. Or, since I'm usually the DM, kick someone out of the group and bring in another person who's been on the waiting list a while. :devil:

NerfedWizard

First Post
GMs for hire

Over on RPG.net there's a long, recent thread about some
guy who's in dire financial straits and thinks he can dig
himself out of it by charging people US$15 per game for
5-hour sessions (in Queen's, NY). He's planning on getting
30 players, 6 per session, 5 sessions per week (!?!?!?!?!?).

Professional GM Diary: Caravan of Blades - RPGnet Forums

Personally I'd NEVER pay serious money to play a tabletop
roleplaying game, except as a one-off at a convention.
Roleplaying is like sex - bear with me - I just mean that
you shouldn't have to pay for it. It's like rent-a-friend or
something. On the other hand, if you're just helping someone
to defray expenses, or if it's live-action roleplay with serious
overheads and logistical issues, that's a different kettle of
fish.

But for sure I think this guy's plans are mad.

As for me, the most I've put up with for the sake of roleplaying
is* anti-social behaviour, loss of temper, copious farting [to the
extent that I have had to leave the room and stand outside
shivering in the cold] [I hasten to add - the farting never
emanates from me], general smelliness [although not on a regular
basis], playing systems I despise, putting up with arrogant,
NARROW-minded GMs who take roleplaying FAR, FAR too seriously,
playing in large-ish LARP groups with a minority of people that I
really don't get on with (but that's only LARP, not tabletop) -,
even someone itching his balls so much I thought he had crabs,
jeez - I think the only reason I've put up with half this stuff
is to be nice to the rest of the group. (!) For instance, I've
backed down from a PvP confrontation where I would have
won, just so another player (who the game was more important
to socially than it was to me) wouldn't get the hump with the
group. That's me being nice, not me being desperate to roleplay.

Although I AM prepared to make a few sacrifices to ref or play
my sacred RPG Omnifray which I wrote (Omnifray RPG - Home)

* if you're reading this and play with me, rest assured, if this
involves you or your group, I've probably already mentioned it
to you --- not all these issues relate to one group (!!!) as I
have played with many groups over time.

Contributions to expenses are fine, but profit from reffing
tabletop roleplay?? It stinks!!

Last edited:

kolikeos

First Post
While playing with someone I don't enjoy playing with (for any reason) is an outright NO, the idea of paying for a game is not all that repulsive. If I enjoy the game and my payment gurantees continued enjoyment, then why not?

disarray2

First Post
I game with friends at one couple's house. They have two kids 5 and 2 that are disruptive. Most of the time they take turns away from the table taking care of them. It slows the game down at best and grinds it to a stop at worse. Sometimes they are at the table and the little one will throw things or take cards. That part is annoying.

Thou I have to say for the most part they watch a movie or take a nap and all is good. But when they get going, I want to run.

Daniel D. Fox

Explorer
I give out +20% EXP per session for people who bring "tasty treats" (sharable snacks) to the game. I give out +35% EXP per session for people who bring healthy tasty treats to the game. :)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I don't think that too outrageous. I've played in two groups over the years that had 'group piggy banks' — everybody donated a dollar (or more, at their discretion) to The Jar every game session. We would then use that money to buy 'group' supplies and hedge other 'group' expenses.

Mundane expenses like 'group' pencils, pens, and paper usually came out of the fund. Occassionally, some larger purchases such as a portable heater for the Game Cave would come out of The Jar. Or, similarly, if the group really wanted to play some OOP adventures but the GM didn't want to sink his personal money into the books, we'd pay for it out of The Jar.

More often than not, though, the majority of The Jar money went towards chips, soda, and pizza for the group. Still, it was a good idea and I think a lot of groups would probably benefit from it.

Wootz

First Post
So-so I guess. I don't like doing it with people I can't get along with, but I am always eager to play with people I enjoy. So I guess it all comes down to circumstance :/

Remove ads