• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just how geeky are you anyway?

For The Record:

A Nerd is someone who is passionate about learning/being smart/academia.
A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.
You scored better than half in Nerd and Geek, earning you the title of: Modern, Cool Nerd.

Nerds didn't use to be cool, but in the 90's that all changed. It used to be that, if you were a computer expert, you had to wear plaid or a pocket protector or suspenders or something that announced to the world that you couldn't quite fit in. Not anymore. Now, the intelligent and geeky have eked out for themselves a modicum of respect at the very least, and "geek is chic." The Modern, Cool Nerd is intelligent, knowledgable and always the person to call in a crisis (needing computer advice/an arcane bit of trivia knowledge). They are the one you want as your lifeline in Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (or the one up there, winning the million bucks)!

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
But I bite the heads off chickens!

Pure Nerd
52 % Nerd, 43% Geek, 34% Dork
For The Record:

A Geek is someone who is passionate about some particular area or subject, often an obscure or difficult one.
A Dork is someone who has difficulty with common social expectations/interactions.
You scored better than half in Nerd, earning you the title of: Pure Nerd.

The times, they are a-changing. It used to be that being exceptionally smart led to being unpopular, which would ultimately lead to picking up all of the traits and tendences associated with the "dork." No-longer. Being smart isn't as socially crippling as it once was, and even more so as you get older: eventually being a Pure Nerd will likely be replaced with the following label: Purely Successful.

Modern, Cool Nerd
60 % Nerd, 78% Geek, 30% Dork
For The Record:

You scored better than half in Nerd and Geek, earning you the title of: Modern, Cool Nerd.

Nerds didn't use to be cool, but in the 90's that all changed. It used to be that, if you were a computer expert, you had to wear plaid or a pocket protector or suspenders or something that announced to the world that you couldn't quite fit in. Not anymore. Now, the intelligent and geeky have eked out for themselves a modicum of respect at the very least, and "geek is chic." The Modern, Cool Nerd is intelligent, knowledgable and always the person to call in a crisis (needing computer advice/an arcane bit of trivia knowledge). They are the one you want as your lifeline in Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (or the one up there, winning the million bucks)!

Hooah! I'm cool. :cool:

And beyond what that says...my geekiness is really in Star Wars. I DO read the novels, comics, and everything else. I know far too much about the universe, in fact. Far, far too much. But, hey, it seems to have paid off. I've been complimented in my Story Hours for my knowledge of the Star Wars stuff and timeline and explaining things well. :)

Galethorn

First Post
Well, I'm a particularly unusual specimen...

Factors that add to my Coefficient of Geekiness
- I used the words 'coefficient' and 'geekiness'
- Not only do I play RPGs, I'm just about the sole GM in the group.
- I have a ponytail and a beard
- I have a few pairs of cargo pants and several black T-shirts
- Fiction-writing is one of my main passtimes
- I watch a lot of Sci-fi and read a lot of fantasy
- I own a finely crafted sword that I regularly cut plastic bottles with in the yard
- I know more about computers and software than most people ever will
- I pride myself on having a greater general knowledge than anyone I've ever met (except for my dad, but he was my inspiration, and that's another story)
- I went to Penny Arcade Expo this year
- I lack even the slightest interest in any popular sports
- I only tend to like music that A. helps me work on my writing or to prepare for a game (various soundtracks), or B. went out of vogue thirty years ago.
- I have an only semi-rational fear of insects (which, admitedly, I'm almost over, but it's not gone yet)
- Though I'm not particularly proud or disappointed by the fact, I have yet to get drunk or stoned even once (although I have gotten a buzz followed a headache from some particularly strong chocolate mousse)
- I'm irritatingly single at almost 18 (not for lack of trying, mind you)

Factors that add to my General Uniqueness
- I'm six and a half feet tall
- My physique is best described as 'brawny'; big and strong, but not musclebound
- I have fiery-red hair, giving me the aspect of a viking warrior
- I'm a generally good cook, and great at frying and grilling
- My beard started coming in when I was 14
- I hate public speaking, but I'm great at it; it gives me the shakes to think about, but my voice is deep, slow, and (can be) loud, and I choose my words with great care

Factors that subtract from my Coefficient of Geekiness
- Despite owning all of those cargo pants and black t-shirts, I find myself in dress shirts and jeans most of the time when I go 'out into the world'
- I get great enjoyment out of breaking stuff with my bare hands, and/or blunt/sharp implements
- I'm mostly neutral on the subject of anime, if not somewhat annoyed by its prevalence
- I don't wear or need glasses

Yeah, so, I'm most assuredly both geeky and nerdy, but not terribly so. I'm unique, more than anything.

Qlippoth

Explorer
Pure Nerd
60 % Nerd, 43% Geek, 39% Dork

Not all that surprising, though it doesn't help when there's a flash banner ad above it saying "Millions of Horny Members Looking For Sex".

Pants

First Post
Joe Normal
30 % Nerd, 43% Geek, 47% Dork
For The Record:

You scored less than half in all three, earning you the title of: Joe Normal.

This is not to say that you don't have some Nerd, Geek or Dork inside of you--we all do, and you can see the percentages you have right above. This is just to say that none of those qualities stand out so much as to define you. Sure, you enjoy an episode of Star Trek now and again, and yeah, you kinda enjoyed a few classes back in the day. And, once in a while, you stumble while walking down the street even though there was nothing there to cause you to trip. But, for the most part, you look and act fairly typically, and aren't much of an outcast.

I'd say there's a fair chance someone asked you to take this test. In any event, fairly normal.

Somehow, I'm normal ;)

I've only been to GenCon once. I've never been to any other conventions. I like Star Trek, but not enough to dress up, read any novels or technical manuals. I enjoy (complaining about and watching) Star Wars, but not enough to read any novels. I like anime, though too much seems to utilize the same cliches that I find distasteful. I love reading fantasy and only rarely will I touch another genre without a class or someone forcing me to.

I like posting on various message boards. I'm hopelessly addicted to the internet. I like tinkering with D&D rules in my spare time. I'd sometimes much rather play World of Warcraft than go to the bar. In fact, sometimes I'd rather do nothing at all than go to the bar. Girls are scary.

I am a little overweight. I don't have a beard. Most of my shirts are black (and have semi-witty phrases on them). My hair isn't long, if it was, I'd have an afro. 80's Hair Metal is some of the best Metal out there. I don't like watching sports, in fact, I hate it. I'm single and have been for a long, long time.

The Shaman

First Post
Let me get this straight: if you are roughly equal parts nerd and geek, you're cool?

I'm going to go buy some consumer electronics tomorrow, and a few magazines so I can talk about how the new stuff will be better than the stuff I just bought.

Then I can be cool.

:)

Nyaricus

First Post
well, here goes . . .

why i am a nerd:
-i have played D&D since i was 11, and i am now 17 and 1/2 (and plan to keep it up for the rest of my life :D)
-love fantasy novels, i have always had a way above average reading level (grade 10 reading elvel in grade 5 >ie 450 page books) surprizingly enough, it took me a long time to fine Tolkien and Lord of the Rings, but i LOVE those books.
-like star wars, played the RPG tied to that a few times, read many novels, and bought the 3 disc DvD when it first came out
-i have various textbooks that i read for pleasure, many being the history of Europe, and i plan to have a job teaching history, though i am not sure of specifics yet (highschool, field work, etc)
-play a plethora of video games, including Diablo 2, the Grand Theft Auto series, Tony Hawks Pro Skater, oldschool mario on various systems, adn on occasion, Pokemon on gameboy
-speaking of Pokemon, i used to collect, adn had nearly every card in the basic set. dont really care for that now, more of a childish thing :p
-and speaking of childish, i used to play with lego for hours and hours and hours and hours.
-computer junkie
- i have a goatee
- i own many D&D books > about 40 right now

things that take away from this:
-i am a big guy, only 5'6", but i weigh in at 195 Ibs, and that is mostly muscle. most people dont try to mess with me because of that (no one picks fight with me, lol)
-i am a complete metalhead, and dress the part. I got tons of band shirts (Mudvayne, Slipknot, System of a Down [just say them tongiht, :):):):)ING AWESOME SHOW], Lamb of God etc), studded leather bracelets, rings, baggy pants, studded belts, and a sweet pair of ADIDAS (my only indisgression to metalhead-dom) oh, and a bacpack with various nu0metal band patches and some spikes :p
-i have a girlfriend of one year and eight months. She was attracted to me because i look like a "bad-boy", but i am infact a closet nerd/nice guy, although i am completely open about it (my being nerdy)
-i dislike anime in general and hate star trek. nuttin much else to say there
-i am in good shape, like to work out, and i have a shag. heh heh
-i have a massive music collection. now, this is kinda hit and miss. it is all metal and rock, and i have 120 and growing (usually get a new cd ever 3 weeks) but is that nerdy or not? meh, either way, i LOVE music
-another hit or miss, i write lyrics and someday hope to front (being a singer in) a metal band. not sure if i have thje voice tho. oh well, i have fun writing lyrics.

that said, i took the test, and i am a nerd. woot!

Pure Nerd
73 % Nerd, 21% Geek, 34% Dork
For The Record:

You scored better than half in Nerd, earning you the title of: Pure Nerd.

The times, they are a-changing. It used to be that being exceptionally smart led to being unpopular, which would ultimately lead to picking up all of the traits and tendences associated with the "dork." No-longer. Being smart isn't as socially crippling as it once was, and even more so as you get older: eventually being a Pure Nerd will likely be replaced with the following label: Purely Successful.

hope you enjoyed my rant. i am going to go to sleep now ;)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hm, let's see...

Multiple degrees in the hard sciences...
I play RPGs...
I go to science fiction conventions on occasion...
I play larps...
In terms of sheer mass and volume, I own more books than I do clothes...
I met my wife playing D&D...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads