• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just looking for a few ideas.

Kristivas

First Post
I write epic campaigns in my spare time, and I was struck with inspiration in reading a thread that talked about how TSR flooded the market with campaign settings and such back in the day.

Rather than just a Forgotten Realms or just an Eberron game, I would like to run a multi-verse spanning campaign.

I picture the PCs starting say, in Forgotten Realms and having to travel to other settings.

But why would they? I was thinking a villain, the BBEG if you will, has a nefarious plot. I guess he would 'world-jump' to attain his goals. The PCs could be following him. Maybe they have to fix what he did on these worlds, or maybe they even get involved and fix things ala Sam in Quantum Leap. What would cause a guy to want to hop worlds? It would have to be something big.

Hmm, but how? I don't want them having a magical portal device that they can use at any old time. This would not only disrupt things, but would probably be used to get them out of life-threatening situations I would otherwise want to impose. Aside from that, I don't want them to have to be too high level when this game begins (thus barring teleports or dimensional-rift type spells).

Do you think the faith of, say Tempus of Faerun could effect Bob the Battle-cleric on Atlas or Krynn or other such place? How would that work?

Magic items. If I get a magic item in Eberron, will it work in Ravenloft? Faerun?

What would be a good idea for a base of operations for this? Would a compound with a portal (think Stargate Command on Stargate SG-1) be too cheesy?

I have so far plotted stops on Faerun, Sigil (Planescape), in Eberron, Ravenloft, a homebrew involving a world that has basically ended and is infested with zombies, and perhaps Atlas (Dark Sun). Spelljammer was a thought, but again.. I don't want *too* much cheese. Any other places that could be fun?

I welcome all opinions and suggestions.

SiderisAnon

First Post
Dimension Hopping

Kristivas said:
Hmm, but how? I don't want them having a magical portal device that they can use at any old time. This would not only disrupt things, but would probably be used to get them out of life-threatening situations I would otherwise want to impose. Aside from that, I don't want them to have to be too high level when this game begins (thus barring teleports or dimensional-rift type spells).

In college, I ran a dimension hopping game that sounds somewhat similar. It was based around the idea that just like in "Sliders", they always seem to drop in at just the right/wrong moment. To prevent the party from jumping out any old time they wanted, I had the gem which they used to jump dimensions need time to recharge after every hop. The amount of time it took to recharge would vary from world to world. Also, since it didn't have a digital readout, but just a glow that had to come back, they couldn't be exact in their timing. This gave me the freedom to stick them somewhere as long as I wanted and make the timing of the jump out the best for the adventure.

I also made the gem so that anyone touching it or touching someone touching it could go with the party. They had to be careful not to bring passengers along for the ride, especially as they couldn't get them back home.

Remove ads