• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Just played my first 4E game

and greater focus on balanced classes.
That is not something that is specific to MMORPGs - it is a general goal of game design. Which probably is also the explanation for most similarities between RPG-related games (be it "real" pen & paper RPGs or CRPGs or MMORPGs) - good game design is good game design is good game design.

I'd rather not get into the very vigorous discussion about mechanics v storytelling - it was just a casual observation on my part. But I can respond to Jay. So I will.

For me, this is a feature. Wizards have been brought in line with the rest of the classes, and there's a lot less opportunity for the wizard to outclass everyone at the mid- to higher levels. And wizards are still more versatile than any of the other classes in terms of Daily and Utility choices.

I still dispute that wizards outclassing everybody, or anybody, was ever a problem. Someone suggested this is because they 'weren't being played right', which I take exception to. In my experience, wizards simply weren't that powerful under 3.5. There was a wizard is almost every game I ever played in 3.5, and in not one of them did the wizard outclass the other PCs or unduly dominate the game (well, once, but only because of the player). It was possible to min-max every character to make them exceptional. Maybe, perhaps, with wizards it was a little easier because of their versatility, but I repeat that I never found this happening.
As regards to wizards still being versatile, I'll pay that, but that's because I feel every other class has been made even less versatile than they were before.

Are you referring to the builds at the beginning of the class sections? That's simple advice, much the same way 3rd edition offered sample characters for each class. You are free to use it or ignore it.

On re-examining that section, you are correct and I'm wrong. Enjoy me admitting that, because it doesn't happen often. The 'paragon paths' and 'epic paths' are also optional - however, to me they seem far inferior to prestige classes, which provided much more variety and colour.

Did anyone in your group play a Warlord? Did you read the Warlord chapter closely. If you think that Fighters can do what Warlords can, I suggest going back and taking a closer look. They are quite different.

I don't see it. Both characters focus on killing things quickly. The only difference is in how they do it - fighters by hitting hard, warlords by hitting slightly less hard but making all their allies hit slightly harder. I really don't see the need for the warlord. Why can't fighters be battlefield leaders? And why would you play a fighter if warlords can do pretty much the same things?

This is more of a taste thing. I've never liked gnomes, nor have I ever seen one played, but I didn't knock older editions for having them.

I agree, and of all my gripes this is the one I'm least fussy about. And there's no reason someone can't create 4E gnomes. I'm sure someone has already.

Again, this is a feature. 1st level monsters are not meant to be splattered in one hit, but are actually meant to be a challenge. Also, because the time it takes for a player to take his turn has been reduced, fights overall have been lengthened by increasing monster and PC hp. This is simply a different design feature. If you don't like it, you don't like it, but I don't get what's so wrong with having interesting and challenging experiences starting at level 1.

Well, I can see your point but I think it's poorly executed. It would have been better to give the creatures different or better combat skills and AC rather than larger amounts of HP.

Can you highlight which aspects you thought "played like a video game"? I ask because the MMO comparisons are thrown about very readily by detractors. I played DAoC, Guild Wars, and WoW for years, and aside from the Points of Light setting and the new cosmology, I just don't see it.

It's just a feeling. I guess it would be the 'powers', which, to me (and remember, this is my opinion, seem designed to make a character more "kick-arse" than they are to making the character a person. I know people are going to say the same was true in 3.5 but I disagree. Some class abilities added little to combat but they did add to the player's character.

I partially agree with this. I really would've liked to see more feats, and Magic Items relegated back to the DMG. In terms of the classes, I think we have tons of options, far more than individual classes in previous editions, with the exception of the wizard, who was not what I consider to be a model of quality class design. For a core book, there are a lot of choices; the designers had to strike a balance between lots of options and the important rules of the game. I think they did a pretty good job.

Again, it comes down to the powers. I think they're ill-thought-out. Feats are a much better way of distinguishing between two character, in my view.

Sounds like you have a pretty specific idea of the kind of game you'd like to play. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the game so much, but it seems more of a preferential thing than anything else. 4th edition has lots of options and strong rules. Those that I have played with have been impressed by the ease of character building, the dynamic combats, and the less rules-oriented take on roleplaying. It's been a good experience for me so far. Perhaps you will feel the same eventually, but if you don't that's ok too.

I found character building easy enough, but there's more to a character than their combat abilities, which I feel the game is too focussed on. I think probably it is just that we were perfectly happy with 3.5 and felt that 4E a) didn't fix anything that needed fixing and b) was mostly about selling more rulebooks to everybody and making more money. Yes, we had these preconceptions but if we'd been totally closed-minded we wouldn't have started playing in the first place.

The kind of games we like to play value strength of character, group dynamic, interplay between the characters and good storytelling.

I'm sorry, but I just don't feel the new rules make that easier.

It's a fact that that game shares a lot with MMOGs such as WoW. Cooldowns, more streamlined "cover all bases" grouping, tanking/aggro holding mechanics, and greater focus on balanced classes.

If it's good or bad or neither is up to everyone to decide for themselves, but claiming the game doesn't have strong similarities to MMOGs - or those to D&D - is ignoring reality.
4e doesn't have cooldowns for PC's like MMORPG's, only previous versions did. The comparison is to 4e, and therefore is incorrect. Streamlining roles is good game design. The roles have always existed (read Role-Playing Master (C) 1987 by E. Gary Gygax), nothing new here - only the comparison is. Gygax calls wizards Artillery and fighters Tanks. Many gamers weren't even born yet. Video games such as MMORPG's didn't exist yet. The lexicon already existed, but has become more well defined and is now fully shared.

I never said their were no similarities. I said, "they've always existed because MMORPG's are based off of D&D." This whole comparison that 4e is a video game is bogus. It's the other way around. Video games emulate D&D.

Last edited:

...but there's more to a character than their combat abilities, which I feel the game is too focussed on. I think probably it is just that we were perfectly happy with 3.5 and felt that 4E a) didn't fix anything that needed fixing and b) was mostly about selling more rulebooks to everybody and making more money. Yes, we had these preconceptions but if we'd been totally closed-minded we wouldn't have started playing in the first place.

The kind of games we like to play value strength of character, group dynamic, interplay between the characters and good storytelling.

What it really sounds like is you and your group approached 4e with a laundry list of falsely developed, preconceived notions and refused to actually play the game without addressing it within that framework. Any game will fail with that kind of prejudice. Sure you weren't being "totally" close minded but mockery isn't worthy effort.

All of those things you list:
1) Strength of Character
2) Group Dynamic
3) Interplay between characters
4) Good Storytelling

Have more dedicated page space, indepth detail, and inherent game design than any previous version of D&D ever published. Start pulling quotes and page space from 3.5 and I'll just drop the entire 4e DMG on every 3e product and crush them. They're storytelling pamplets compared to 4e. If you really cared about the listed items, you and your group wouldn't have glossed over them in the PHB and DMG. It sounds to me like your group just picked up the books, made characters, and said, "Let's fight!" Any game will look like a fight game if you ignore the other sections.

The default campaign setting is there. Read the books, especially the preview books. It's a PoL setting with their own small utopian villages where all PC races live in harmony as its base, and a clear backstory (to explain the lizards and new tieflings).
What's the name of the default planet? What's the most power orc nation? What nations border it? No answers huh?

There is no default campaign setting anymore. I've read Monsters and Worlds. I'm looking at it right now. There is no concrete detail concerning a default setting. What they designed was a coherent, interrelated cosmology and filling it iconic names, creatures, places, and gods. It's a white box that sits in isle #3 and says, "Cornflakes" on it.

It's generic cereal. You have to add milk, sugar, supply the bowl, and feed it to your kids. It's intentionally generic because so many people "homebrew" anyway, cannibalizing bits and pieces from published settings. WotC just made the everyday DM's job a little easier.

Don't believe me? Just turn to page 25.

Monsters and Worlds said:
We want players like you to use the elemets of D&D's product identity to create your own world...

Last edited:

Fenes

First Post
What's the name of the default planet? What's the most power orc nation? What nations border it? No answers huh?

There is no default campaign setting anymore. I've read Monsters and Worlds. I'm looking at it right now. There is no concrete detail concerning a default setting. What they designed was a coherent, interrelated cosmology and filling it iconic names, creatures, places, and gods. It's a white box that sits in isle #3 and says, "Cornflakes" on it.

It's generic cereal. You have to add milk, sugar, supply the bowl, and feed it to your kids. It's intentionally generic because so many people "homebrew" anyway, cannibalizing bits and pieces from published settings. WotC just made the everyday DM's job a little easier.

Don't believe me? Just turn to page 25.

The default setting is PoL. That was stated lots of times. They also provided a lot of background. That they haven't names for details is a design decision - it's PoL. They do have names for the old empires of the new races.

And compared to 3E, the corebooks offer more details - 3E was way more generic, and homebrew-friendly, none of the races there had an implied history like the new races have.

Fenes

First Post
I made my "Own" world long ago - it has no place for the 4E lizard klingons, nor for the 4E Tieflings with their boring and limited looks. It is built with bits and pieces of various 2E settings, with some 3E fluff in it, and based on a low-magic, sword and sorcery version of the FR.

Just about everything from the 4E fluff doesn't work with that.

Ginnel

Explorer
I don't see it. Both characters focus on killing things quickly. The only difference is in how they do it - fighters by hitting hard, warlords by hitting slightly less hard but making all their allies hit slightly harder. I really don't see the need for the warlord. Why can't fighters be battlefield leaders? And why would you play a fighter if warlords can do pretty much the same things?

Sorry but this isn't true, every character is able to kill things,
Strikers = Focus on killing things quickly through their own powers
Leaders = Focus on letting their allies kill things, through buffs and healing
Defenders = Focus on Defending their buffer's/damagers.
Controllers = Focus on killing lots of things at once.

So the difference between the warlord and the Fighter is that the Warlord enhances other characters in doing damage, while the Fighter stops the weaker members getting overun, true you can have overlap with the warlord picking up scale/plate/heavy shield use.
A Fighter can be a battlefield leader he can call the shots through roleplay

Well, I can see your point but I think it's poorly executed. It would have been better to give the creatures different or better combat skills and AC rather than larger amounts of HP.
anything which does more damage is going to be more swingy same with higher AC, also I find stupidly high AC's (compared to to-hit bonus') of enemies or players extremely annoying and frustrating.

It's just a feeling. I guess it would be the 'powers', which, to me (and remember, this is my opinion, seem designed to make a character more "kick-arse" than they are to making the character a person. I know people are going to say the same was true in 3.5 but I disagree. Some class abilities added little to combat but they did add to the player's character.
I highlighted that little bit *looks at his monk* Well he can brew beer because I chose that skill but thats not a class feature, umm he's resistant to enchantments hmm not very character building, he can be good at jumping and climbing, oh can do that in 4th too, I don't see it myself unless your talking about the spells? Character can stay as fluff for me I can think fluff up all day long, I don't need to be constrained by this by having it put into a class (like alignment based classes)

Again, it comes down to the powers. I think they're ill-thought-out. Feats are a much better way of distinguishing between two character, in my view.
But you get feats and powers, thats two distinguishing things now yeah! True there aren't many feats currently available, this will be remedied

I found character building easy enough, but there's more to a character than their combat abilities, which I feel the game is too focussed on. I think probably it is just that we were perfectly happy with 3.5 and felt that 4E a) didn't fix anything that needed fixing and b) was mostly about selling more rulebooks to everybody and making more money. Yes, we had these preconceptions but if we'd been totally closed-minded we wouldn't have started playing in the first place.

erm excuse me There's more to a character that combat ability, hmm well that would be skills and character background/fluff? (and the spellcasters bag of tricks, now replaced by accessible rituals for everyone)

Strength of character is determined by the rule system, how so? I think you are wrong, I can invent a character background and apply it to any system, if that system doesn't have a mechanical rule to interpret how my character is a highly skilled brewer or a skilled whittler, I'm sure I can roleplay it and that my DM can adjudicate it if it comes up in play.

Ginnel

Explorer
I made my "Own" world long ago - it has no place for the 4E lizard klingons, nor for the 4E Tieflings with their boring and limited looks. It is built with bits and pieces of various 2E settings, with some 3E fluff in it, and based on a low-magic, sword and sorcery version of the FR.

Just about everything from the 4E fluff doesn't work with that.
Oh Noes! 4th edition has given us flavour for races we must use it or our games will spontaneously combust.

Sorry about the sarcasm, but really if you don't like the fluff change it/don't use it, your campaign doesn't have room for another two races erm Ok I'm not going to criticise you for that.

Your setting wants to be low magic, well theres a few threads which have explained how to do this if you want to use 4th ed, from allowing Martial only classes (you can still have healing covered either with just healing surges or add a warlord in) to automatically adding in attack and defence bonus the characters are expected to get at certain levels.

Remove ads