• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Just purchased the WotC 4E Character sheets

Drengy

Explorer
Just purchased the official D&D Character Record Sheets at my local Borders.

Initial impression: you're probably going to want to save your money, unless you like power cards and don't have access to a cheap color printer.

The package is a cardboard pocket portfolio, similar to what you used to use in grade school. The front of the portfolio has a DM screen-like illustration, the same as what's shown in the product shot. The back is mostly blank except for logos and legalese. On the left pocket of the portfolio there are a few lines to put notes (or your name?). The right pocket has the standard 4E experience chart.

In the left pocket are four 8.5x11" character sheets, printed on 24 or 28# paper. Two different sheets, printed twice. The portrait sheet is EXACTLY the same as the sheet in the back of the PH, also available for download from D&D Insider. No color, nothing different from the PH version. The other sheet is a landscape version of this same sheet. No class-specific versions, no 11x17 foldable version. Many of the community character sheets are much better than these.

The right side of the portfolio contains 64 full-color power cards, printed on 8 perforated sheets (8 cards per sheet). The stock is a reasonable weight, maybe 64 or 80#? Not as thick as the cards that come with D&D Minis, but not exceedingly flimsy either. These cards are actually pretty nice. If you're thinking of using power cards these may definitely be useful to you. Again, there are community versions which may be better than these, but at least these are color and already printed.

IMO, WotC should eliminate the character sheets and portfolio, print the power cards on heavier stock, and sell a power cards set instead of these poor excuses for character sheets.

P.S. Borders had a couple copies of H2 as well, I didn't buy it because I have a pre-order elsewhere.

P.P.S. This is cross-posted at Dragon Avenue.

The right side of the portfolio contains 64 full-color power cards, printed on 8 perforated sheets (8 cards per sheet). The stock is a reasonable weight, maybe 64 or 80#? Not as thick as the cards that come with D&D Minis, but not exceedingly flimsy either. These cards are actually pretty nice. If you're thinking of using power cards these may definitely be useful to you. Again, there are community versions which may be better than these, but at least these are color and already printed.

IMO, WotC should eliminate the character sheets and portfolio, print the power cards on heavier stock, and sell a power cards set instead of these poor excuses for character sheets.

P.S. Borders had a couple copies of H2 as well, I didn't buy it because I have a pre-order elsewhere.

P.P.S. This is cross-posted at Dragon Avenue.

The power cards definitely sound like the only reason why I would buy these at all. And I would probably buy a real "deck" of power cards, too. Printing yours out yourself has the problem that it isn't exactly cheap and I don't know if my printer will print on anything but regular paper (meaning no heavy cardboard stock).

Theron

Explorer
The power cards definitely sound like the only reason why I would buy these at all. And I would probably buy a real "deck" of power cards, too. Printing yours out yourself has the problem that it isn't exactly cheap and I don't know if my printer will print on anything but regular paper (meaning no heavy cardboard stock).

If you're worried about the printer handling heavier stock, I'd suggest printing the cards on label stock (there are printable labels available in all manner of dimensions) and then sticking them to a cheap deck of cards (or extras from a CCG if you have them). Since power cards are for reference and secrecy isn't an issue, it wouldn't even matter if the cards were from different decks, except for aesthetics.

Foundry of Decay

First Post
That's unfortunate :/

I admit that I'm looking for good power cards as well, but I might just find some online (There were a couple places that made up blank cards, I think) and print them myself.

jinnetics

Explorer
If you're worried about the printer handling heavier stock, I'd suggest printing the cards on label stock (there are printable labels available in all manner of dimensions) and then sticking them to a cheap deck of cards (or extras from a CCG if you have them). Since power cards are for reference and secrecy isn't an issue, it wouldn't even matter if the cards were from different decks, except for aesthetics.

I have the cheapest printer in the world, and if anything it prints BETTER on cardstock. You should be able to set your preferences for heavier paper, too.

Remove ads