• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

just saw Jet Li's HERO

rkanodia

First Post
The First Achievement of Swordsmanship
Your sword need not touch its foe to inflict injuries.
Prerequisites: Wisdom 13, weapon focus (any melee weapon), base attack bonus +5.
Benefit: A number of times per day equal to 1 plus your Wisdom bonus, you may use any melee weapon for which you have the appropriate weapon focus feat to do damage with a ranged attack, though you do not throw it. This attack has a range increment of 5 feet, plus 5 feet per point of Wisdom bonus. Normal cover modifiers apply. This attack can deliver any effect that you could normally deliver with your weapon, such as a disarm attempt or the additional damage from a flaming weapon.
Note: This is the same as the Ring the Golden Bell feat from Dragon 319, except that it uses melee weapons instead of unarmed attacks.

The Second Achievement of Swordsmanship
In your hands, even a blade of grass is a lethal weapon.
Prerequisites: The First Achievement of Swordsmanship, base attack bonus 10+, ??.
Benefit: Any object at least as large and heavy as a blade of grass deals 1d6 (20/x2) damage while you wield it. Damage type (slashing, bludgeoning, piercing) is determined by the object's general shape.

The Final Achievement of Swordsmanship
You can defeat your foes without drawing your blade.
Prerequisites: The Second Achievement of Swordsmanship, base attack bonus 15+, ??.
Benefit: Once per day, you may declare that you are using the final achievement of swordsmanship. For a duration equal to one minute, plus one minute per point of Wisdom bonus, you may make attack rolls as normal while holding a sheathed weapon for which you have the appropriate weapon focus feat, although you do not strike your opponents. Instead, keep track of how much damage your attacks would have inflicted on each enemy if they were normal attacks; at any time, you may will that many hitpoints of damage to occur to that enemy as a free action (this resets the count for that enemy to 0).
Opponents intuitively sense the danger they are in and may choose to surrender; opponents who lay down their weapons and cease hostilities may not be harmed by The Final Achievement of Swordsmanship, although resuming hostilities removes this protection. An opponent who successfully negotiates terms of surrender becomes permanently immune to the damage inflicted by your usage of The Final Achievement of Swordsmanship; however, if they knowingly break the terms of their surrender, they instantly suffer twice as much damage as you could have inflicted upon them during the battle.

Improved Deflect Arrows
Through intense focus and extreme speed, you can divert an astounding number of incoming projectiles.
Prerequisite: Deflect Arrows, base attack bonus 5+.
Benefit: You get a +1 dodge bonus against missile weapons. While you are fighting defensively or using Combat Expertise, this bonus increases to +2. During a total defense action, the bonus is +4.

Vortex Attack
You can generate a sudden swirl of wind that leaves opponents unable to retaliate.
Prerequisite: Wisdom 13, Dex 15, base attack bonus 6+.
Benefit: A number of times per day equal to 1 plus your Wisdom bonus, you may declare a Vortex Attack in place of a normal attack; this ranged touch attack targets any foe within 5 feet, plus 5 feet per point of Wisdom bonus. If it hits, it deals no damage but instead the target must make a Reflex save (DC = 10 + 1/2 character level + Wisdom bonus) or be dazed for one round. You may not use Vortex Attack more than once per round.

Last edited:

rkanodia

First Post
Altamont Ravenard said:
That movie is out already?
Yes and no. Hero has been out for a while in China. Your local Asian-interest video rental store probably has a copy of the Chinese DVD, which includes English subtitles, so if you're eager to see it (like I am), you can save some time and some money by renting it. Of course, it was good enough that I'll probably end up paying to see Quentin Tarantino Presents Jet Li's HERO (isn't that what he's calling it? lol) at a matinee.

I'm glad you like the feats. Does anyone have ideas for what should go in the question marks? I'm much better at mechanics than requirements. Hopefully I'll have one or two more in the near future.

First Achievement of Swordsmanship
You say the ability has a range increment of 5' + 5' X (WIS mod). So there are range penalties and the maximum range is 5 X range increment (as for thrown weapons)?
It isn't that powerful of a feat (but it is cool) and I don't think you need more requirements than you put.

Second Achievement of Swordsmanship
Is this feat really more powerful than, say, Throw Anything, or Improved Strike, even? I think the requirements are a bit high. Perhaps the Second should come first? Also, I suggest that, whatever the object you use with this feat, it always does the same damage (1d6; 20/X2). Perhaps the type of damage (b/p/s) could be adjucated depending on the object that is used.

Final Achievement of Swordsmanship
I must admit that this feat is really, really nice. Again, though, I think the prereqs are really steep... Perhaps I'm not reading it carefully enough, but what great mechanical advantage does this feat offer? I mean, you don't do more damage than if you were actually attacking. The only difference I see is that the damage is potential, can be applied all at once (can this cause death from massive damage?) and can't be cured (until it's delivered). Furthermore, it's not even a constant ability, just a once/day thing that lasts a couple of minutes...

Perhaps you could look at tactical feats from Complete Warrior and weave those three feats into one?

Improved Deflect Arrows:
How about: May deflect a number of projectiles = 1 + DEX bonus? Or even more than that if you add Combat Reflexes as another prereq?

Vortex attack:
Again, a really cool feat. :)
A vortex attack, IMO, should replace all of the character's attacks (ie like Whirlwind attack). Or, if you think that's too harsh, a vortex attack could be a standard action, so the attacker can daze a couple of people and move away without incurring AoO's.
Why a Reflex save and not a Will save (since its a daze effect)?
The prerequs could be Wis 13+, Dex 15+ and BAB +6?

Hope this is more helpful :)

rkanodia

First Post
Altamont Ravenard said:
First Achievement of Swordsmanship
You say the ability has a range increment of 5' + 5' X (WIS mod). So there are range penalties and the maximum range is 5 X range increment (as for thrown weapons)?
It isn't that powerful of a feat (but it is cool) and I don't think you need more requirements than you put.
It isn't insanely powerful, but I think it is worth a feat. After all, you'll do considerably more damage with the First Achievement of Swordsmanship and a greatsword than with a handaxe, not even counting the benefits from other feats (weapon focus/spec mainly) that you get to use without any other expenditure. I believe you are right about the range limitation; Dragon 319 doesn't include any more information about it, so I would treat it like any other ranged weapon.

Altamont Ravenard said:
Second Achievement of Swordsmanship
Is this feat really more powerful than, say, Throw Anything, or Improved Strike, even? I think the requirements are a bit high. Perhaps the Second should come first? Also, I suggest that, whatever the object you use with this feat, it always does the same damage (1d6; 20/X2). Perhaps the type of damage (b/p/s) could be adjucated depending on the object that is used.
To be honest, I could have gotten the order of the First and Second Achievements backwards, and I don't have the movie anymore. You're right that it isn't all that powerful. I'm not sure exactly what to do with it. Perhaps it could do more damage (1d8; 19-20/X2) or have some kind of fear effect associated with its usage (as enemies are floored by the power you display).

Altamont Ravenard said:
Final Achievement of Swordsmanship
I must admit that this feat is really, really nice. Again, though, I think the prereqs are really steep... Perhaps I'm not reading it carefully enough, but what great mechanical advantage does this feat offer? I mean, you don't do more damage than if you were actually attacking. The only difference I see is that the damage is potential, can be applied all at once (can this cause death from massive damage?) and can't be cured (until it's delivered). Furthermore, it's not even a constant ability, just a once/day thing that lasts a couple of minutes...
I won't ruin the movie, but the Final Achievement of Swordsmanship is
...drumroll please.... peace
. If every fight in your campaign is to the death (with prompt dismembering, cremation, and scattering the ashes of the losers), the Final Achievement of Swordsmanship will be utterly useless. On the other hand, if you want to prove your strength without bloodshed, or to really give your enemies a second chance (without giving them a second chance to stab you in the back), it would be invaluable. If you really think it's too weak, maybe it could give them them a temporary 'attack' and 'damage' boost during its effects, or do melee touch attacks (limited to 1/round probably).

Altamont Ravenard said:
Perhaps you could look at tactical feats from Complete Warrior and weave those three feats into one?
Hmm, I doubt I could really do that without nerfing them all to heck and back.

Altamont Ravenard said:
Improved Deflect Arrows:
How about: May deflect a number of projectiles = 1 + DEX bonus? Or even more than that if you add Combat Reflexes as another prereq?
That could work too, but I think it would just be too powerful. Perhaps instead it could grant a +1 dodge bonus against projectiles even when you aren't using a defensive action.

Altamont Ravenard said:
Vortex attack:
Again, a really cool feat. :)
A vortex attack, IMO, should replace all of the character's attacks (ie like Whirlwind attack). Or, if you think that's too harsh, a vortex attack could be a standard action, so the attacker can daze a couple of people and move away without incurring AoO's.
Why a Reflex save and not a Will save (since its a daze effect)?
The prerequs could be Wis 13+, Dex 15+ and BAB +6?

Hope this is more helpful :)
I like the prereqs you listed. I don't think it's too powerful; I was comparing it to Stunning Fist, which is useable more often (especially as level rises) and leaves the target considerably more vulnerable, balanced against the range (both a benefit and a drawback, since it draws AoO) of Vortex Attack. If it were going to use up all a character's attacks, I would definitely make it deal damage (and require First Achievement of Swordsmanship), since otherwise it is pretty mediocre. As for the save type, I chose dazed because I thought the mechanics of it best fit the effect I was going for. It's not a mental effect. If it still seems too strong, maybe the target could take a partial action, with a Concentration check forced for any spellcasting.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I'll revise the original post tomorrow.

Aaron2

Explorer
rkanodia said:
Yes and no. Hero has been out for a while in China. Your local Asian-interest video rental store probably has a copy of the Chinese DVD, which includes English subtitles, so if you're eager to see it (like I am), you can save some time and some money by renting it. Of course, it was good enough that I'll probably end up paying to see Quentin Tarantino Presents Jet Li's HERO (isn't that what he's calling it? lol) at a matinee.

Hmm. I rented this movie in my plain ol' local video store almost a year ago. I hope they don't try to dub it.

Aaron

Bagpuss

Legend
Its available on Region 2 DVD (although not in the UK) but not Region 1 as far as I'm aware. I saw bits of it while on holiday in Madrid last month as my brother in law had rented it and was watching it dubbed into Spanish. It also had English subtitles available on it but I was going out that evening. Imagine my disappointment on getting back to the UK to find I can't even rent or buy it here! The little bits I caught looked really good.

rkanodia

First Post
Aaron2 said:
Hmm. I rented this movie in my plain ol' local video store almost a year ago. I hope they don't try to dub it.

Aaron
Your plain ol' local video store kicks a lot more butt than mine, I guess.

Aaron2

Explorer
rkanodia said:
Your plain ol' local video store kicks a lot more butt than mine, I guess.

It couldn't be just mine as there was a whole lotta buzz about this movie here and rpg.net which caused me to rent it. My video store does have a good selection of asian DVDs, including the complete collection of "Sleepy Eyes of Death" :)

Aaron

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads