• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kalamar Players' Guide

Synicism

First Post
I grabbed a copy of the Kalamar Players' Guide recently, and while it was definitely worth my money, there are some things about it that I don't understand.

1. Why, if the book refers to them in a number of places, does it completely leave the Monk out of the description of the classes?

2. What's with some of the worse than secondary saving throw progressions for some characters (maxing out at +4?) and the wonky BAB progression for the brigand type class (+0 to +19 at 20th)?

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Yeah I noticed some of that. Also I think a gnome and halfling are a bit much. One gets +2wis+2chr-2str, the other +2int,+2wis,-2str, and they get standard racial benefits if not better. That makes a powergamers decision on race and a wiz/sor way to easy. The grey elf gets +2int+2chr-2 con, but the only other racial benefit is +2to knowledge arcane, and 4 hours meditatio for sleep, no low light, no nothing. Not such an easy decision any more is it.

Also some feats are wonky, one called spell miser lets you make concentraiton checks at 10+(2x spell level)to cast a spell without loosing it from your memory, the limit is only up to a number of spell levels equal to your spellcasting attribute. Is that at one time, per day, what. If per day, eeh I wouldn't take it, but it wouldn't totally suck, if at one time but any number of times per day then I'd never not take it.

And then one is called divine xxxx, it's a human regional feat, it gives +2 to saves vs fear, hmm iron will +2 to all will saves, all fear saves I know of are will based, which to take... Seriosly it should of been at least+4 to fear saves, considering the really narrow focus a +5 or 6 wouldn't of been totally out of line.

But overall really cool, I especially liked the skill selection with all the professions and crafts etc, and new skill uses. But the new skill pantomime, we have a chart showing what new classes get it as a class skill or cross class, but what about the core classes?

GrimJesta

First Post
The monk was left out by accident. David Kenzer has admited this booboo.

The Brigand, despite having some strange stats, is still a cool class. The variant core classes, IMO, are a great addition to the game.

I know somewhere on the new Kalamar forums they clear up the Miser with Magic feat. Its not as powerful as you would thing.

Though some of the demihumans are powerful stat-wise, you have to understand that KoK is a humanocentric world. The demihumans need all they can get to compete with the extensive human populace. But I dont think they are overbalanced or underbalanced ot whatever. :)

-=grim=-

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads