• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kalamar Players Handbook Web Preview

Wolfshead

Explorer
trancejeremy said:

This book is actually on my buy list (though I'll be getting it used, since I am boycotting Kenzer for what they've done to the Known World). One of the things that makes me less enthusiastic is that they aren't using the d20 license, but the D&D license. Thus, anything in it isn't going to be useable by other companies. Ironically, by their stuff being 'official', it will be used less.

Used less by other companies, or used less by DMs and players? Personally, I don't care how much of Kenzer's products are usable by other companies. What matters is how much of it *I* will find usable. I don't need any d20/OGC cross-pollination between publishers to decide what to include in my home campaign. I pick and choose what I want, from whom I want.

If I were a publisher, perhaps I might like to see some of this content available for my use. Then again, what if I thought I could do it better? I now have to make a choice. Will I get more sales because of my product's versatility, since it is usable with the products of another company? Or, will I get more sales because of the strength of my product's rules (assuming they *are* better than those previously published)? I do like the fact that some publishers are taking advantage of the OGC concept and meshing their products with those of others. However, I don't think this is the only way to conduct d20 business.

Sorry to highjack the thread, but I've grown tired of hearing this complaint about Kenzer & Co. I feel they should be judged on the strength of their products, not what license they're using.

I will be purchasing the KoK Player's Guide, as soon as I have the cash (and as soon as my local gaming store gets it in- I'm still waiting for Geanavue).

Randy

GrimJesta

First Post
Amen to that Wolfshead. KenzerCo has never disappointed me in anyway with their products. Who cares if other companies can use it, when I personally can use it.

The Players Guide looks to be a book thats up there with the PHB and DMG for game importance. With that many new feats, new skills, variant core classes, new PrCs, and tons of new spells (esp a new spell style: scalable), how can anyone not want this book? On its content alone this merits taking a look at. But with the KenzerCo logo on it, you KNOW you will not be disappointed in the least.

I already preordered mine, mainly because I have a feeling this one will be a fast seller.

-=Grim=-

Berandor

lunatic
GrimJesta said:
Amen to that Wolfshead. KenzerCo has never disappointed me in anyway with their products. Who cares if other companies can use it, when I personally can use it.

I would rather say,

KenzerCo cranks out so many products themselves that use their stuff, I don't need to rely on other companies to do it. What's more, I know Kenzer will do justice to the product, as opposed to d20 companies, who could do great things with it, but who also could utterly and miserably fail.

As long as Kenzer makes so many and so good products, I don't need other companies to chime in, and I don't care whether some company can't use someone else's idea. Sorry.

Berandor

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads