• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kansas City Game Day - A success! Photos on page 12.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I don't know that they are. Phil is his name. Yes, that's the place. I did see someone posting on here that worked for Pirate Games, which used to be 95th & Antioch, but I think they have since moved that store to Independence.

Tabletop is pretty much where I get most of my gaming stuff, although I might start going to 31st Century Sporting Goods (151st and Mur-Len in Olathe) since it's a lot closer to where I live. I've only been in there once, and at that time he was in the process of moving from his 135th st. location, so everything was kind of in disarray.

SteelDraco

First Post
"Rock chalk Jayhawk" is part of KU's fight song. No idea where the phrase came from, but it's in there.

One of these days, I need to go into Kansas City and check out the game stores in town. I'm happy with my FLGS (The Gatekeeper in Topeka), but there are a few things that I'm looking for that they don't have. Does anybody know if any of the places in KC have much in the way of used or old games?

If anybody else reading this is at KU, you ought to go up to the Kansas Union on Wednesday the 22nd at 6:30. There's a gaming club that meets there. We should be able to organize a group or two (or possibly more).

ghrezdd

First Post
And not to be toooo anal, Rock Chalk Jayhawk is not technically part of the Fight Song. It is tradionally heard after the Alma Mater (Crimson and the Blue).

From the offical University of Kansas web site...

"World's greatest college cheer
The University Science Club officially adopted the famous "Rock Chalk" chant in 1886. A chemistry professor, E.H.S. Bailey, and some of his associates were returning from a conference by train to Lawrence. As they traveled, they talked of the need for a good , rousing yell. The click-clack of the train wheels passing over the rail joints suggested a rhythm, and a cadence to them.

At first, their version was "Rah, Rah, Jayhawk, KU" repeated three times. Later, in place of the rahs, an English professor suggested "Rock Chalk," a transposition of chalk rock, the name for the limestone outcropping found on Mount Oread, site of the Lawrence campus.

The cheer became known worldwide. Teddy Roosevelt pronounced it the greatest college chant he'd ever heard. It was used by Kansas troops fighting in the Philippines in 1899, in the Boxer Rebellion in China, and World War II. At the Olympic games in 1920, the King of Belgium asked for a typical American college yell. The assembled athletes agreed on KU's Rock Chalk and rendered it for His Majesty."

Sorry for the KU goobness. But now on to more important matters...

So KUGAR still meets? Cool. I was a member during my heady "lets roleplay every waking moment, screw classes" college days.

I spend way to much money at Phil's (aka Tabletop). IMHO it is the best game store in the area, with Gatekeeper in Topeka second. He has a good selection of all games - Historical Wargames, Wargames, RPG's, board games, etc. He also has a descent used section and he also takes in used games for credit.

Anywho I have heard him mention his dream of a Gameday too. I'll ask him about it as he and I have a descent raport (I should as I drop waaaaayyy to much money there :) )

Moonglum

First Post
Heh, I set up game days all the time in Lynchburg, VA, but not in the name of EN World just yet. I'd love to do something like this, but I think I've tapped the majority of the D&D players in my area (caps around 13 usually).

der_kluge

Adventurer
Well, that answers the Rock Chalk Jayhawk thing.

I know Pirate Games (again, I think they've moved to Independence) has a huge section of used games. I have to assume that they still have it.

ghrezdd, perhaps you could tap into this KUGAR, and we could organize a *real* Kansas City convention. Given that there are probably over 2 million people in Kansas City, and surrounding environments, we should be able to organize an awesome con. We just have to dig them out of the woodwork.

Dave G

First Post
Woo, am I too late?

more Lawrence types here than I realized! Howdy all!

I'm in! I'll show up for a game-day, I have a pretty good sized group and some of them might like to attend (even though they really aren't EN Worlders...)

Curtis: I go to a game on Thursdays in a neighborhood very close to that intersection where you described 31st Century... Small world? :)

Last edited:

Katerek

Iconic Gnoll
Pirate Games has actually moved to Raytown.

If you organize a game day, go talk to Phil and make sure he is cool with it. And yes, Tabletop is at 77th and Quivera.

For those in the region there are several game stores in the KC Metro, but depending on your taste you may not be satisfied with them all.

I used to be a Pirate Games guy, but since he moved it is too inconvenient to go out there. I send my business to Table Top now.

Battle Zone at 95th and Quivera is okay, if you don't mind the smell, plus they sell comics.

31st Century out in south town is okay, but it caters to the Warhammer crowd really more than anyone else.

Collectors Cache is all CCG's and Mageknight now.

Monty's out in Independence is probably the oldest, and where I go to unload old stuff.

There is at least one more shop north of the river, and I think there are at least two more in the Independence region.

der_kluge

Adventurer
One that is north of the river is Myth's and Legends, and the guy that runs it is big into the KCRPG. I've never been there, though.

Billy, I live in Spring Hill, so that's not too terribly far for me.

Katarek, my friend had a miniature painted at Pirates before they moved, and has yet to pick it up. Do you have the address of the new location so that my friend can pick up his mini?

DanteHayes

First Post
Myths and Legends is actually out in Independence (near Noland Rd and Hwy 78). The two up North of the river used to be Amber Road and Comic Cavern. They are both long defunct.

As for Pirate Games, I'd just call information but, I wouldn't get my hopes up. They are notoriously bad at keeping their affairs organized. :(

Good luck on organizing your game day. And keep us updated but, to be honest, I think ShaunCon/ThunderCons problems are more a reflection of the Kansas City gaming community than the ability, or inability, of the RPGKC, to get their shyte together.

Sir Whiskers

First Post
I might be interested, but I'm curious: what, if anything, is different about a Game Day vs. a convention?

If you go forward with this, please keep us posted.

Remove ads