• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kara-Tur and Zakhara, are they going to be released as portions of FR?

Death_Jester

Explorer
Does anyone know if Wizards of the Coast are going to revise these settings as part of the forgotten realms?

Or has any one done any work on trying to bring them up to date with the current ed. of the game. If so could you post a link for me, please?

Dark Jezter

First Post
Nope, sorry.

WotC has stated that they will not be releasing 3e versions of Kara-tur, Maztica, or Al-Quadim. If you want to get hold of the old 2e versions of those settings, try RPGNow or WotC's web site.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Of course, just because there won't be any major hardback books about Kara-Tur, Maztica, or Zakhara doesn't mean they don't peek through here and there, albeit rarely. While this is no substitute for having major books on those regions, it does confirm that at least they aren't trying to retcon them out of existence.

In Underdark there's a nest of stingers (scorpionfolk apparently) who managed to get to the Underdark of Faerun from over in Maztica. They have some large plans for the region, and maintain their worship of their Maztican gods.

I can't recall anything specific for Zakhara that we've seen so far (save for that issue of Dragon; see below).

In Unapproachable East, there is a section on the region with Shou expatriats, and several towns that have a large amount of Shou culture. There's even a small bit on the Golden Way (the path that leads from Faerun to Kara-Tur).

And of course, Dragon issue 315 featured materials for all three of those campaigns (as well as several other old ones). Al-Qadim had the sha'ir written up as a core class. Kara-Tur Oriental Adventures had a list of ancestor feats by region, along with a great description of the nations of the continent. And Maztica had two prestige classes for two different organizations of "knights" over there.

Sammael

Adventurer
I'm willing to bet that the future Lands of Intrigue book will cover Maztica (from the Amn perspective), and whichever book covers Chult will probably cover Zakhara. How much stuff will there be? Not a whole lot, if Unapproachable East's Kara-Tur content is anything to go by, but a bit nonetheless.

danzig138

Explorer
Used to be, you oculd find an Al-Quadim conversion
here but it seems to be down now.
Okay. After a search, I found this. Might be what you're looking for. I haven't seen any online conversions for Kara-Tur, but if you have the old set, all you really need is a copy of 3E OA and a few notes. I did some home stuff a while back. I'll see if I have any of it left later.

Arnwyn

First Post
Alzrius said:
In Underdark there's a nest of stingers (scorpionfolk apparently) who managed to get to the Underdark of Faerun from over in Maztica. They have some large plans for the region, and maintain their worship of their Maztican gods.
But the gods noted in Underdark were new... they aren't any Maztican deity given in any Maztican sourcebook. :( (I just made the deities as stinger-only aspects of Zaltec.)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
The Player's guide to Faerûn has a short paragraph for the Zakharan, Kara-Turan and Maztican Planes in the Cosmology of Toril chapter (one paragraph each). They are connected to toril vial different Astral Planes (or the Spirit World, which replaces the astral plane in the case of Kara-Tur).

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
arnwyn said:
But the gods noted in Underdark were new... they aren't any Maztican deity given in any Maztican sourcebook. :(

:confused:

:uhoh:

Huh...I didn't realize that. I'd guess then that they're racial deities of the stingers. Powers know you can't have a self-perpetuating race without it having some deity of their own.

(Hence, this is why it was a very good thing that SKR's listing of deities was cut for space reasons from Faiths & Pantheons, since it basically said "these gods all exist on Toril, and any god not on here, doesn't". Needless to say, most racial deities, along with the pantheons of Zakhara, Kara-Tur, Maztica, etc. weren't on there.)

Last edited:

Signum

First Post
KaeYoss said:
The Player's guide to Faerûn has a short paragraph for the Zakharan, Kara-Turan and Maztican Planes in the Cosmology of Toril chapter (one paragraph each). They are connected to toril vial different Astral Planes (or the Spirit World, which replaces the astral plane in the case of Kara-Tur).

The more they tinker with the FR cosmology, the more I hate it. From this statement, does this mean there are multiple metaphysical systems in play in the FR universe as outlined in the PGTF? Is there anything in it giving details on using a great wheel option as opposed to the "tree" system? :mad:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads