Karrnathi undead underpowered?

Obscure

First Post
I was thinking about using Karrnathi undead (Eberron Campaign Setting, p. 292) in an adventure and, looking at the stat blocks, I'm having a hard time seeing how they can be CR 3. They're basically Medium human skeletons or zombies with 3 HD and better natural armor (extra +2). The only other difference is they're intelligent and have two feats (no Imp Init), and some better equipment. Shouldn't they be more like CR 2?

Drowbane

First Post
Obscure said:
I was thinking about using Karrnathi undead (Eberron Campaign Setting, p. 292) in an adventure and, looking at the stat blocks, I'm having a hard time seeing how they can be CR 3. They're basically Medium human skeletons or zombies with 3 HD and better natural armor (extra +2). The only other difference is they're intelligent and have two feats (no Imp Init), and some better equipment. Shouldn't they be more like CR 2?

I think its perhaps the fact that they're intelligent. Intelligent Undead can play havoc on a party that expects zombies to be mindless automatons who just shuffle forward and mutter "brains...".

Play them smart! Make your PCs *earn* thier xp...

Vurt

First Post
I thought CR 3 was too high for them at first as well. But the combination of high (22) AC and their natural damage reduction makes them pretty tough to take down. Add in that groups of them are able to perform tactically, and you've got some good opponents.

Cheers,
Vurt

Obscure

First Post
Take the Karrnathi skeleton's breastplate away, and compare it line by line with the ghast, an intelligent CR 3 undead. The ghast has better everything (except AC, which is even). The Karrnathi has DR and cold immunity, but the ghast has turn resistance, paralysis, stench, ghoul fever and so on. The troll skeleton at CR 3 would smash the Karrnathi, though it's not intelligent.

I'd say that Karrnathi undead, used in singles or pairs, with downgraded armor, are clearly CR 2. Fully armored and fighting togther in squads, they might be a very weak CR 3.

Remove ads