D&D (2024) The GIsh answer *maybe)

So with this new warlock that I don't like I am thinking it COULD with some work make a good gish.

Class Group MAGE
Prime stat Constitution Intelligence or Charisma

Battle Magus

1d8 HD per battle magus level
Saving throws Con and Cha
Skills (Choose 2): Arcana, Deception, History, Intimidation, Investigation, Nature, Religion
Weapons: Simple and Martial Weapons
Tools: None
ARMOR TRAINING Light Armor, Medium Armor

(this just adds the martial weapons and changes the save profs(

Swordmage Spellcasting Ability: Constitution or Charisma
Extra cantrip: Pact Weapon
Extra ability thunder mark

Summoner Spellcasting Ability: Intelligence or Charisma
Extra cantrip: Pact Familiar
Extra ability: extra summon

make it a half caster

replace the Eldritch Invocation with the artificer infusions so they can make themselves magic armor and weapon

Thunder mark is more or less be thunder punch from Armor artificer
A creature hit by a melee weapon or unarmed attack has disadvantage on attack rolls against targets other than you until the start of your next turn.

Extra summon is pretty much just you can concentrate on 2 summoning spells as 1.

THen we just need to make some new spells for them.

Yeah it's clear that they're trying to turn warlock into the arcane half caster gish. Which is going to make both warlock fans and swordmage fans unhappy.

They're just desperate to make the PHB classes fill every possible niche, and the result is that they're filling all of them badly.

Hopefully they're prepared to actually add new classes this time around, but with how they're trying to squeeze everything into the existing classes, I doubt it.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Yeah it's clear that they're trying to turn warlock into the arcane half caster gish. Which is going to make both warlock fans and swordmage fans unhappy.

They're just desperate to make the PHB classes fill every possible niche, and the result is that they're filling all of them badly.

Hopefully they're prepared to actually add new classes this time around, but with how they're trying to squeeze everything into the existing classes, I doubt it.
The Warlock was already essentially a magic & weapon using class when the Hexblade became one of the most popular subclasses. Yeah, it didn't have "half-caster" status... but people's demands for that was basically just for symmetry reasons than any actual need for a arcane warrior caster that only goes up to 4th level spells to match the divine warrior caster Paladin and primal warrior caster Ranger.

I mean, I can understand the annoyance at the loss of the "2 spells cast at highest level" schtick that was different than all the other caster progressions. If a person really liked that variant casting style, its loss really blows. But I can also understand the desire on the designer's parts to make multiclassing easier-- especially considering Warlock was quite possibly the MOST multiclassed class in the game, what with everyone and their mother wanting to merge all the CHA-based classes together (especially when they could use the "attack and damage with CHA" ability of the Hexblade.)

Heh heh... so it's not just the designers who want every niche filled... all the players want that too. They wouldn't keep demanding Psions, and Warlords, and Arcane Half-Casters and Wardens, and Shaman and the like if they didn't. But at some point we all have to just accept that 5E isn't Pathfinder and is never going to be Pathfinder. Nor is it Level Up. No matter how often people keep saying they want it to be.

The Warlock was already essentially a magic & weapon using class when the Hexblade became one of the most popular subclasses. Yeah, it didn't have "half-caster" status... but people's demands for that was basically just for symmetry reasons than any actual need for a arcane warrior caster that only goes up to 4th level spells to match the divine warrior caster Paladin and primal warrior caster Ranger.

I mean, I can understand the annoyance at the loss of the "2 spells cast at highest level" schtick that was different than all the other caster progressions. If a person really liked that variant casting style, its loss really blows. But I can also understand the desire on the designer's parts to make multiclassing easier-- especially considering Warlock was quite possibly the MOST multiclassed class in the game, what with everyone and their mother wanting to merge all the CHA-based classes together (especially when they could use the "attack and damage with CHA" ability of the Hexblade.)

Heh heh... so it's not just the designers who want every niche filled... all the players want that too. They wouldn't keep demanding Psions, and Warlords, and Arcane Half-Casters and Wardens, and Shaman and the like if they didn't. But at some point we all have to just accept that 5E isn't Pathfinder and is never going to be Pathfinder. Nor is it Level Up. No matter how often people keep saying they want it to be.
I like the actual gameplay rules far more in 5e. I just don't like how certain archetypes are covered in such a terrible way.

this is my fear, the NEXT playtest had this too... the sorcerer was not a good sorcerer but was a great class we just lost.
Yep this, the DnDNext sorcerer was an awful sorcerer, but an absolutely amazing class concept in itself. Could easily have been repurposed into a 'become the monster' class for people wanting to play as liches and vampires and lycans with the transformation and willpower mechanics.

Yep this, the DnDNext sorcerer was an awful sorcerer, but an absolutely amazing class concept in itself. Could easily have been repurposed into a 'become the monster' class for people wanting to play as liches and vampires and lycans with the transformation and willpower mechanics.
I have a friend that has a hombrew version for Vampire

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I like the actual gameplay rules far more in 5e. I just don't like how certain archetypes are covered in such a terrible way.
And everyone to their own. I can't disagree with a person's feelings about what they think are bad mechanics, but I also can't agree that their feelings are in fact a fact. Because one person's bad mechanics are another's good mechanics.

This is why I wish more people were more able to accept 3rd Party material as being just as valid as anything WotC produces. Because players can get virtually anything they want for the 5E game using 3rd Party material. But unfortunately too many DMs just get all bent out of shape over the prospect of letting players use it. "It might be unbalanced!" they cry. Well, then level up your DM game by actually testing the mechanics and thus learn how to tell if it's balanced or not-- and if it's not... work with the player to re-balance it so they can use it.

Remove ads