• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Karsites

i like the idea of the karsite from tome of magic. however i don't like the binder class or the inability to use magic. i was just wondering if it would be alright to remove the anti-magic but still keep it fair.

Theroc

First Post
i like the idea of the karsite from tome of magic. however i don't like the binder class or the inability to use magic. i was just wondering if it would be alright to remove the anti-magic but still keep it fair.

If I recall, the inability to use magic was directly tied to the magic draining attacks and spell resistance.

To remove the inability to use magic would definitely break the fluff of the race... and increase the race's power IMO.

I will say that changing the favored class should be fairly simple, though I'd likely suggest something like "Fighter" so that alignment doesn't become too important to the race itself.

krupintupple

First Post
since they're literally the spawn of grand and fallen arcanist of Netheril, Karsus, i also include that they can't use any arcane magic, or arcane-like magic. so no warlock, incarnum or psionics. this last one may be a bone of contention, but their abilities are incredibly powerful to be dropped onto someone who can gain amazingly potent manifestation.

Theroc

First Post
Krupin, mind explaining why you included Incarnum in with Arcane magic? I always saw Incarnum more as a 'Divine' type of magic moreso than an academic Arcane manifestation.

Theroc

First Post
the book also says you can't use divine magic which doesn't make much sense. and you can use psionics. hope this helps

True, but as most games play(or from my anecdotal experience) with a Magic/Psionics transparency, I'd lump it in with the magic as well. Incarnum though, struck me more as a Divinely oriented art (similar to Binding moreso than magic though).

I realize this seems like a shift, but the classes in Incarnum seem more divine in nature than Arcane(with Incarnates having an extreme alignment and whatnot), and Incarnum is an alternate subsystem, much like Pact Magic.

krupintupple

First Post
Krupin, mind explaining why you included Incarnum in with Arcane magic? I always saw Incarnum more as a 'Divine' type of magic moreso than an academic Arcane manifestation.

that's probably my bad - i play a realms campaign and they recommend saying that 'incarnum' is the weave, to some extend. thusly, i felt it was arcane. so i do retract my bias.

however, the following in an early interview does indicate that we're technically both wrong, but i may just be a lazy researcher

Wizards: Could you give us your definition of incarnum? Is it considered arcane, divine, psionic, a combination, or a new form of magic entirely?

JW: Incarnum is energy drawn from living, dead, and preincarnate souls. It is magic, but it doesn't fall into any of the above categories. Spellcasters of all sorts, as well as psionic manifesters and warlocks, can all make use of it with the proper training. In short, incarnum is not a type of magic -- it is a substance that people can learn to manipulate.

Theroc

First Post
that's probably my bad - i play a realms campaign and they recommend saying that 'incarnum' is the weave, to some extend. thusly, i felt it was arcane. so i do retract my bias.

however, the following in an early interview does indicate that we're technically both wrong, but i may just be a lazy researcher

Hm... I didn't precisely say it was Divine, but I felt it was more divine than arcane. Either way, it seems that Incarnum would still work with a Karsite, IMO.

I would agree with Kruppintupple about the other aspects though. Granted, I'm not a DM as of yet, just a player. Karsite fluff indicates that they have trouble touching magic.

another question: which psionic class is best? a karsite psionic sounds good but the psionic classes (Psion, Psychic Warrior,Soulknife, and Wilder) all have their own advantages. what is everyones favorite?

Theroc

First Post
I've heard Scion is the most powerful, but since at least one of the Karsite's racial abilities rely on melee combat, I'd recommend Soulknife or Psywarrior.

Remove ads