• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Keen question

Wippit Guud

First Post
Probably common sense... and it's probably been errated, but the SRD says this, so that's what I'm going to go with.

Keen can only be placed on slashing weapons.

Does that include weapons with slash and pierce (such as a scythe)?

Crothian

First Post
I'm pretty sure it was errated to piercing also. But if you are limiting it to just slashing weapons, then it still can be used on the scythe. The scythe has the properties of a slashing and a piercing weapon.

Xarlen

First Post
Let me be the first to say, that's a Keen question. :D

Also, there's 'Weapon of Impact' which does the same thing for a blugeon weapon.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Tetsubo said:
Xarlen where is that located? I was wondering just yesterday about why the impact weapons got short changed.

Probably because Bludgeoning weapons have other things going in their favor. Namely, they get the Disruption ability (which cannot be placed on Slashing or Piercing weapons) and there are no creatures immune to Bludgeoning damage, unlike certain creatures resistant or immune to Slashing and Piercing.

As for Weapon of Impact...well, I've always thought MoF was...shall we say..."high-powered." :D

kreynolds

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:
As for Weapon of Impact...well, I've always thought MoF was...shall we say..."high-powered." :D

Would you let one of your players purchase or build a weapon of impact? Just curious.

Brother Laszlo

First Post
Lord Pendragon said:

Probably because Bludgeoning weapons have other things going in their favor. Namely, they get the Disruption ability (which cannot be placed on Slashing or Piercing weapons) and there are no creatures immune to Bludgeoning damage, unlike certain creatures resistant or immune to Slashing and Piercing.

Well, slashing weapons get vorpal, and all it would take to give a creature immunity to bludgeoning would be a pencil.

Tylias

First Post
I suppose it would also be possible to make Keen, Impact Morningstars. It wouldn't be particularly unbalancing, anyway, just somewhat curious.

Remove ads