• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Keep on the Borderlands - Some Questions

Wik

First Post
What's a RBDM? And how old is your Dad? I'm thinking I'm going to feel old soon...

Yeah, RBDM is a Rat Bastard DM - D4H got it right. And, unless I'm totally off, my dad is 52, about to turn 53. I'm pretty sure he ran the module with his brothers, before he moved to Halifax... which would mean he ran the module sometime between 1981 and 1983. I was born in mid '83. So you can feel old if you like. ;)

For what it's worth, my dad has always been a crappy GM (I've never played with him, just the gist I get from knowing him, he's kind of a munchkin player who HATED it when it was his turn to GM, so he'd just run a module). But he did give me a great piece of D&D advice, that worked out as:

"In the first session of a campaign, make sure every PC gains a level, gets a magic item, and at least one person gets killed or suffers from a mistake they make."

The reasoning? By levelling them up, they get "hooked" on their character, and have seen a qualifiable change. By getting a magic item (even something like a +1 dagger, or a wand with a few charges left), they have found treasure worth keeping that is also interesting (and a new "toy" to play with). And by killing or damaging a character, you show the group that you're not going to pull punches... so that, later on down the road, when you start pulling punches, they don't notice. And no one is attached to their character that much during the first session, so there will be few hard feelings.

I think it's pretty good advice, for the most part.

Remove ads