• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Keep on the Shadowfell - mini review ! <Very mild spoilers>

Klaus

First Post
bramadan said:
Here are the monsters for Klaus:

[sblock]Goblin Sharpshooters - Goblins with crossbow and short blade

Fat goblin - represents two goblins as it appears - one wields battle axe and other club and the crossbow. Only later is described as fat but both are boss-types

Guard Drakes - "These four legged reptiles appear strong and powerfully built :/"

Gnome - dark leather armor and crossbow

Hobgoblin Torturer - Hide armor, Iron Poker

Zombie Rotters - regular zombies in appearance

Decrepit Skeletons - longsword, shortbow

Skeleton Knight - plate armor, fancy sword

Kruthik - "six limbed reptiles with insectile traits, silver chitinous plates cover their bodies and short tails and each has four limbs that end in scythe like claws. Two smaller limbs with finer digits closer to the body. head is vaguely reptilian and the lower jaw is a toothed plate flanked by several mandibles.

Corruption Corpses - bloated zombie

Clay Scout - small gargoyle like creature made of clay

Orcus Underpriest Dark religious vestments, square jaw, hard face that glows with Zelotry, armed with Mace

Deathlock wight - gaunt with palid skin, attacks with claws

[/sblock]
Thanks, man!

Anything here that is Tiny, Large or Huge? Any mention of a color to the drakes?

bramadan

First Post
MortalPlague said:
I live in Vancouver, and I'm eager to try this one out. If I'm not working, I'll see if I can make this game! (Assuming, of course, that you still have some spots free) :)

I sent you an email :)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
thalmin said:
Not in this module that I could find. But in each encounter, remove one or two soldier types of level equal to the PCs. I would hope WotC will post guidelines about scaling the encounters when the module becomes available.

It may not be in the module, but it's been widely publicized online:

Each 1st level character is worth 100XP in a balanced encounter. The base party size is 5, so a basic balanced level 1 encounter is 500XP. So if you have 4, it's 400XP and for 6 it's 600, etc.

A party can "handle" up to about half again the XP of a balanced encounter without too much threat of death, so 750XP (a level 3 encounter) is fine against 5 level 1 characters, but they will almost certainly need an extended rest afterwards. Anything more will almost certainly kill at least one member of the party, barring luck.

Level 2 characters are 125XP, and level 3 are 150XP. This system starts to go a little off after a disparity of about 4 levels, but it still works pretty well.

So, for example, you could have a party of 3 level 1 characters, 4 level 2 characters, and a level 3 character, and you'd be balanced at 950XP and they could handle an encounter up to about 1375XP (with up to about a level 7 monster in there) without too much threat of death, unless the dice or tactics go wrong.

Personally I'll be running the adventure for 6 characters, half of which will be level 2 when we start, so I'll have an average encounter of 675XP while the adventure is written for an average of 500XP to start. I figure I'll look at the monsters involved in the encounters and add between 100 and 200XP worth of them to each encounter. An extra Kobold Skirmisher here, 6 Kobold minions there, splash of salt & pepper...

I hope this helps anyone who may have had trouble with it.

Fitz

MortalPlague

Adventurer
bramadan said:
I sent you an email :)

I did not get the e-mail (did you send it to mightypirate at gmail.com?), but I did manage to juggle a shift or two at work today. The result is that I will definitely be able to attend! I can't wait to try out 4th Ed... being the regular DM for our group, I've been running all our test runs, but I've not had the opportunity to actually play... :D

Also, Drexoll Games in Vancouver is not the one in Coquitlam, correct?

bramadan

First Post
MortalPlague said:
I did not get the e-mail (did you send it to mightypirate at gmail.com?), but I did manage to juggle a shift or two at work today. The result is that I will definitely be able to attend! I can't wait to try out 4th Ed... being the regular DM for our group, I've been running all our test runs, but I've not had the opportunity to actually play... :D

Also, Drexoll Games in Vancouver is not the one in Coquitlam, correct?

I sent it using the email feature here on the boards :) No matter. Yes, it is Drexoll in Kits not in PoCo. 4th and Macdonald if you have not been there before :)
We are starting 12-noon and going till 6 (when Matt will likely kick us out :p)
Will be saving you a spot for sure so be there :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads