• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Keepers!

Burrito Al Pastor

First Post
I have a deep-seated, long-standing affection for the Keepers, and I'm mostly satisfied with their 4e implementation. (They're on page 134 of the Manual of the Planes.) Their new art sucks (figures, the one time WOTC doesn't reuse old art...), but it's ok, because they're now like Dabus (Dabuses? Dabii?), except malevolent and even more inscrutable.

What I miss, however, are Keeper PCs. Keeper was the most awesome seven ECLs you could take in 3rd edition, and it's disappointing (although understandable) that they didn't make the 4e jump, but that's nothing that can't be easily fixed, right?

KEEPER
Racial Traits
Height: 6'
Weight: 145 lb., including trenchcoat and goggles

Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Blindsight 20

Languages: Common, Keeper
Skill Bonuses: +2 Arcana, +2 History
Shadow Origin: Keepers are native to the Shadowfell, so you are considered a shadow creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin. Additionally, you are treated as having the Shapeshifter keyword for effects relating to keywords.
Inscrutable: If you are using a holy symbol implement, you do not need to be holding or displaying it - it merely needs to be in your possession and on your person. Additionally, all other characters take a -10 penalty to Insight checks regarding you or your activities.
Shadow Affinity: You gain resist 5 necrotic and +1 damage to powers with the Necrotic keyword. At 11th level, these increase to 10 and +2 respectively, at 21st level, they increase to 15 and +3 respectively.

Dissolution (Keeper Daily Racial Power)
The keeper dissolves into a dark, viscous liquid. While in this form, the keeper is immune to the restrained and immobilized conditions, and it ignores difficult terrain. The keeper can take only move actions and minor actions. It can stay in this form indefinitely, and it can return to its normal form as a move action.

I'm well aware of how thematically inappropriate a Charisma bonus is for a Keeper, since part of their thing is how very bad they are at pretending to be normal, but I felt it was necessary for purposes of party utility; it makes the Sly Rogue build more appealing for the many rogue keepers (no pun intended), and also makes Shadow Pact Warlock highly viable. It also seems appropriate that they have a racial modifier to Bluff - how would you be able to tell if they were lying when they display no emotion?

In any case, a strong alternative would be +2 Strength, +2 Dex; this would be good for them as Warlords, which is thematically fitting with their group mentality. But Dark Pact warlock is so cool!

Please note that the listed height and weight are not average; they are standard, as keepers are physically indistinguishable.

Additionally, all keepers should start play with their trenchcoat and goggles, and should be permitted to wear these under or over any equipment they are using at all times. (You may also want to let them acquire, say, studded leather armor as a studded leather trenchcoat, or note that those shiny new Arcanist's glasses are opaque.) Also, remember that keepers dissolve when they die; this means that, unless the rest of the party has a bottle and the Gentle Repose ritual, Raise Dead isn't going to be an option.

Finally, racial feats should add in the remaining elements of the Dissolution power, ultimately to match the printed one; I think the climb/swim speed would be appropriate for a Heroic tier feat, and the +5 defenses and healing 10 would be better suited for Paragon tier feats.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads