• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Keeping racial benefits when Feral?

Jeb McDonald

First Post
A player in my group is playing a Feral Dwarf fighter/barbarian. While the question of the Feral template has been discussed at length, I have a question I couldn't find in previous threads.
Does the character keep his racial benefits from being a dwarf once he adds on the Feral Template? (i.e. Does he keep his +4 AC bonus when fighting giants?)
Thanks!

As written, yes. To be honest, though, it doesn't always make sense. The dwarf, for example, gets the bonus against giants because it is assumed that dwarven society is often fighting giants, and everybody is trained to fight them. Why should someone who grew up outside of that society (without said training) still get the bonus? Ditto for the free weapon proficiencies they get.

Then again, from the looks of it, you're in a rather high powered gaming situation. If you're already going to be using the Feral template, a couple of small bonuses like that won't make much of a difference.

Scion

First Post
There is nothing to say that he wasnt a dwarf and, somehow, became feral. In that case he would keep everything from before and gain the new naturally ;) Just write it into the backstory somehow and this disparity disapears!

Scion

First Post
Jeb McDonald said:
OK--Thanks!

BTW--The Feral Dwarf is not getting fast healing, improved grapple, or extended darkvision, but that was for another thread.

He shouldnt get improved grab anyway, but he should get 60' darkvision and fast healing.. without those its use drop a lot.. in my not-so-humble opinion of course ;)

Basically that means:
+10' land speed
+6 natural armor
2 claw attacks
+2 stat mods

all for a +1 level adjustment. Worth it for a few lower levels, but once into the higher ones (when the claws no longer matter at all, and the +6 nat armor can be gotten any number of ways) it just isnt worth the +1 anymore.. poor guy! ;)

where is this other thread? lol

reiella

Explorer
He should maintain his racial benefits as a template is applied.

The implication is just that the Feral Dwarven groups also trained/etc to fight giants. Just so happens 'train' takes a looser meaner and may more likly refer to more barbaraic practice rather a regimented training formula (ie, it's a flavor difference :).

Only way for Racial Traits to be lost would be explicit mention (or the creature somehow becomes 'Not-a-Dwarf', such as through PAO).

The idea of 'wild' x-race (lacking societal benefits) would be better suited to an alternate race (given how the rules work), such as how Wild Elves behave.

da chicken

First Post
Scion said:
There is nothing to say that he wasnt a dwarf and, somehow, became feral. In that case he would keep everything from before and gain the new naturally ;) Just write it into the backstory somehow and this disparity disapears!

Er, yes there is. Feral is an inherited template, not an acquired one. The only way to get an inherited template is to be born with it.

Gort

Explorer
Scion said:
the +6 nat armor can be gotten any number of ways - it just isnt worth the +1 anymore.. poor guy! ;)

Eh? Doesn't "natural natural armour" stack with "magic natural armour" in 3.5?

Jeb McDonald

First Post
Da Chicken--
So you are saying this particular PC should NOT receive the Dwarf racial abilities? Would you also include the Dwarf racial ability modifiers (+2 con and -2 char)?

Scion

First Post
Gort said:
Eh? Doesn't "natural natural armour" stack with "magic natural armour" in 3.5?

Yes, but not with spells like alter self, polymorph, shapechange, and others that can give you the same amount, or more, for a much lesser cost than a full level!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads