• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Keeping track of bloodied, marked, etc...

SuperGnome

First Post
Hiya,

I'm curious what you guys do to keep track of who's bloodied, marked, has Riposte' Strike on them, etc...

I know there are the monster\PC cards you can write on, but most effects come and go repeatedly.

I was hoping to use small game/poker chips (7/8"), but they're a hair too small so they'd disappear under the minis usually. That sucks, because they're $1/20. I'm thinking of using multicolored twisty-ties as they're free, and also would be quite visable if a bit cheesy.

I cold print out things on card stock, but I think they'll just be a pain to move around. One thing would be if they were vaguely star shaped, the points could flare up around the edges and maybe "stick" a bit, making moving them with minis easier.

What have you guys done, or what ideas do you have?

I grabbed an .89 package of multi-colored pipe cleaners at the craft store, cut them into thirds, and made rings out of them.

Red is bloodied. Each player gets a color to signify their effect on the appropriate mini.

Aside from the stack of 'fuzzy leis' that obscures a mini sometimes, it works out well for us.

Aristotle

First Post
Invested in Alea Tools. I could have done something cheaper, like the pipe cleaners, and gotten the same result. I like 'game gear' so I spent the money. One session down and I'm mostly happy with them. I think I may not use all of the colors I got, but the ones I was using for bloodied, marked, and ongoing damage were very helpful. I posted a little something in my blog about them, too.

andarilhor

First Post
I am not using miniatures just because they are so much money in my country, so I am cannibalizing some boardgames I dont use for pieces.

For the players I am using pieces of a boardgame which are connical, and for monsters I will be using War (Risk in USA, i believe) pieces for the medium and large ones, and maybe botle caps or some other thing for huge and gargantuan ones.

To the conditions I an using power cards I made in excel for the players, for monster I simply put in a table of mine, writing in a code. Some effects I ask to the player let the power card in the table turned to indicate his effect instill will in.

For marks, hunter´s quarry, warlock´s curse and blodied i will use plastic bottle caps rings cutted in little pieces and give a color to which player, minus red ones, which indicate bloodied.

andarilhor

First Post
Ah! For duration of effects I am using a simple code:

ET(...): End of the Turn (character or monster name)

ST(...): Start of the Turn (character or monster name)

EE: End of Encounter

Other(...): For 1 hour, 1 day, specific powers.

Obryn

Hero
Invested in Alea Tools. I could have done something cheaper, like the pipe cleaners, and gotten the same result. I like 'game gear' so I spent the money. One session down and I'm mostly happy with them. I think I may not use all of the colors I got, but the ones I was using for bloodied, marked, and ongoing damage were very helpful. I posted a little something in my blog about them, too.
I have mixed feelings about them. On the one hand, I think they fill their purpose better than most anything else I could imagine getting. They are attractive, simple to use, and a lot of fun. I can't imagine running 4e without them.

On the other hand, the fact that they're magnets drives me up the wall. I'm probably one of the people whose posts you read, where I complain about their attraction/repulsion issues.

Every session, I have at least 1 stack of magnets "steal" a magnet from elsewhere. Also, every session I have magnets too close to one another that either pull or push.

It's far from insurmountable - and I still like them better than other options - but I don't think I would be as sanguine had I spent $70+ on them.

-O

Skyscraper

Explorer
So, um... what are pipe cleaners? :)

English is not my first language so I might in fact know the device under another name. A detailed description would be nice.

Thanks,

Sky

Remove ads