• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Keeping track of combat length (for posterity)

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
WOW! and I complain if we hit 4 rounds!
That was an unusually long and gruelling combat for us. Most of the party spent the majority of that fight dazed so a lot of us were stuck doing charges, which is really not our strong spot. In addition to that, almost all of the monsters had sneak attack, so they were dishing out a TON of damage. I believe we had three or four PCs go unconscious.

Oh yeah, and the XP total (6000) was twice as big as a typical level 11 fight (3000). That might be a tiny contributing factor. :D
-blarg

blargney the second

Session 5: 2.5 hours total
#1) 10 minutes, 125 XP each, 1 crit, 0 dailies, 0 action points. 2 rounds vs 4 skirmishers and 3 artillery

We left Manticore Estates on our stolen ship, sailing back across the large lake towards Mithrendain. A nasty feywild storm was brewing, so we anchored off the shore of an abandoned eladrin village. Some investigation revealed that the citizens had left for the hills because it was too dangerous with the marauding aberrations around here. Once the storm abated, we resumed our journey to the city.

A quick visit to Mithrendain informed us that the fey city was falling apart. The eladrin king had authorized lethal force during the riots that were happening when we left the city and stole the boat. Consequently Talon Tasoria had declared himself king with a fair amount of support from the populace, although he was likely running out of money. The drow queen had distanced herself from the old king, and was doing her best to fight a losing battle against the encroaching darkness and hordes of aberrant creatures. We gave the two ingredients of the antidote into her care and left the city to find the third and final component. Time was running out - in the city of eternal noon, the sun was at four o'clock.

Divinations and research lead us to Misenmere, the furthest inhabited town in the northwest. We secured maps and information about the now-permanently twilit area we needed to explore. Somewhere in the Callisto Mountains we had to find the dwarven fortress where the legendary Purple Scale hid.

On the first day out, our travel was interrupted by voices screaming in pain and pleading for death. A pair of half-breed fey were tied up to dolmen. A bevy of redcaps tortured these prisoners, reveling in their misery. We dispatched the foul spriggans and sent the prisoners down the road back to the village.

(Wik tried out the house rule he'd read here about giving monsters 1/2 hp and bonus damage. After we had a 10 minute cakewalk, he announced that he was most certainly NOT using that one again. :D He also dropped the XP awarded by a substantial amount.)

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Awesome thread.

Maybe I need to be more organized as a GM, but I'd find it difficult to keep track of this extra information in addition to everything else going on in the game. How do you do it?

blargney the second

I'm a player in this one, so there's not too much burden for me. Also, I have a good memory for numbers. Also also, I verify them with my fiancee before posting. :)

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Well, that explains that. :) Still, I'm going to try to keep track in my games.

blargney the second

Do you think any of your players would be willing to keep track of it? It's not really that much work either way, and kind of an interesting exercise.
-blarg

ps - The wizard dealt some fairly gonzo damage... almost certainly more than the paladin he replaced! I wouldn't be surprised if things go even faster from here on out.

Wik

First Post
Do you think any of your players would be willing to keep track of it? It's not really that much work either way, and kind of an interesting exercise.
-blarg

ps - The wizard dealt some fairly gonzo damage... almost certainly more than the paladin he replaced! I wouldn't be surprised if things go even faster from here on out.

Yeah, before you showed up last night, we were talking about just that - whether the controller would speed up or slow down play. I'm feeling pretty confident about speeding things up, now - he kept fully half the combatants out of the fight for a whole round.

Also, the player seems to better visualize what his powers actually "look" like, as opposed to his paladin powers that he doesn't even describe.

Remove ads