• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Keeping Track of Conditions

Evil DM

First Post
Hi folks,

due to the new system and all its conditions I wonder how do you guys keep track of all them?

That one monster is marked here from the fighter, there from the paladin, this monster is the quarry from the ranger...
...further more this one is dazed and do not forget this one which is immobilized.

And this guy used allready its encounter power while this one still has it...

The problem is that all these conditions are mostly "until end of XY's next turn" - so they must be erased easily enough because they don't last long.

How do you manage it?

Cheers, Evil DM.

Ginnel

Explorer
Our group uses coloured paperclips (bought for a nifty £1.99) we bend them into a triangle/loop and hook them over the minatures we use and take them off again when they're no longer applicable. Prone as always is lying the minature on its side.

Bloodied condition for characters, each character has a piece of card in front of them, one side says NOT BLOODIED 50%+ hp on white card the other side says BLOODIED, with an extra note for dragonborn about their +1 to attack rolls and this is on illuminous orange card.

For temporary status conditions the DM gives us a tiny post it note. For temporary bonuses to attack we either just remember or I put a dice by my bloodied card set on to the correct number for the bonus.

wedgeski

Adventurer
I bought some Alea tools magnetic one-inch counters, which work fantastically but only because I have a magnetised play surface. Couple that with a 'combat sheet' which I knocked up in Excel for tracking durations, and the job is a good'un.

Nightchilde-2

First Post
In my upcoming f2f game (my weekly online game uses MapTools so I can just set some stuff up in there easy peasy!), I'm going to offload the keeping track of marked, quarry, etc. to the players. Let them do a little of the work, why not?

Thaumaturge

Wandering. Not lost. (He/they)
Our group uses coloured paperclips (bought for a nifty £1.99) we bend them into a triangle/loop and hook them over the minatures we use and take them off again when they're no longer applicable. Prone as always is lying the minature on its side.

We use this, but we use colored pipe cleaner (the kind you get at a craft shop). It works really well, and the people who hand paint their minis don't worry about the paint getting scratched off of the minis. The metal on metal aspect of paper clips made me rethink the idea.

Thaumaturge.

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
I trust my players to let me know anything that they've set up - marking, if they're blooded and so on.

I look after the monsters. I have an index card with everyone's initiative on it, and next to each entry I write down any short-term effects. I used this system in a 11th level game on Monday and it worked pretty well.

It's harder for zones and things, though. For that, I'm thinking of using a set of linked paperclips and putting them down on the map.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads