• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Kender are a core race?

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Well, I'll still buy it, but I doubt that I'll ever play it. I swore, even before they became an official race (when they were previewed in Dragon) that if any character of mine ever saw a Kender, he'd kill it on sight. And I still hold to that promise I made to myself.

Kinak

First Post
On the bright side, they're optional: "Your Dungeon Master might allow other races as well... kender..." from the first paragraph of the races document.

Cheers!
Kinak

Darth Illithid

First Post
As long as you don't have players who insist on playing like psychotic kleptomaniacs, kender aren't all that bad. Think of them as alternate halflings who have a penchant for collecting things; they don't have to be the typical "but it just fell in my pouch!" kender from the novels.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Let's not read too kuch into this - it's a playtest. The main thing is to observe the mechanics, which boil down to the taunts system and the "robe of useful items" type feature. I thiink both work pretty well, and i can see the door being opened to nonstandard racial traits through this.

Squidmaster

First Post
I think it makes perfect sense. Kenders are the signature Dragonlance race, and Dragonlance was a major setting in the past. I guess you could include minotaurs, but that is much less iconic.

dmccoy1693

Adventurer
Let's not read too kuch into this - it's a playtest. The main thing is to observe the mechanics, which boil down to the taunts system and the "robe of useful items" type feature. I thiink both work pretty well, and i can see the door being opened to nonstandard racial traits through this.
Agreed, I think it is more of a test while they have the chance then anything else.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
It is a shame that half-orcs, half-elves, and even gnomes have been placed in the same category as the campaign-specific races. I hope that changes.

Remove ads