• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kenzer and Company Product Update 01/25/02

Orcus

First Post
Whats up Kenzer people-

I have a question, since you posted here in the d20 list will any of that stuff be d20 under the OGL? Will there be any open content in your products? That would be cool.

Clark

Hard8Staff

First Post
Orcus,

I assume you are referring to the HackMaster products. Unfortunately, none of that stuff will be OGL/d20/open content. Our license extends only to making "HackMaster" products. But if you want to use it for a d20 campaign, it's pretty similar stuff...branches from the same trunk so to speak.

regrads,

Dave

ShaneHenry

First Post
Are you refering to the info in Return to the Keep?

Gods no! Don't get me started on the many failings of the yucky generic-Mystara-Greyhawk melange of RttKotB. Rather, as far as Quasqueton goes, I'm referring to B1 (p6):

"Note: In the mythical World of Greyhawk the stronghold can be considered within any one of the following lands -- the Barony of Ratik, the Duchy of Tenh, or the Theocracy of the Pale"

and as far as the Keep goes, I'm referring to the fact that since B2 was written by Gygax before Mystara even existed, and was part of his home campaign, it must exist *somewhere* on Oerth (even disregarding the apocryphal RttK module and KotB Greyhawk novel). Anyway, it looks like the Keep's going to soon officially exist in a third world..."Garweeze's Wurld"! :)

Shane

Last edited:

Cevalic

First Post
On the note of Garweeze World, is there a world book in the making? It seems like that would be one of the first products agfter the core that you would want to release (or maybe I would want you to release). Here's hoping.

A few more questions too, if you don't mind. I know that the products are still kind of far off, but my curiousity is rising.

What type of things will we see in the Fighter and Wizard books? Here's hoping you don't copy the formula of 2nd edition handbooks. Oh, those things were horrible.

What exactly is the Hacklopidea Index? Is it just that? An index? Or is there going to be more juicier material in it?

One last one: the adventures. What type of page count are you looking at? Are they going to be 32 or are we going to luck out with longer and larger books.

Thanks for the time.

Dahak

Explorer
Hard8Staff said:

Since we have the rights to Mystara...who knows? Maybe we'll trash that and run it through the mud if we don't sell enough of B1 and B2... :)

I can't tell how serious you're being about this. Do you really have the Mystara rights?

Hard8Staff

First Post
<<I can't tell how serious you're being about this. >>

I was kidding about "running it through the mud" -- we try to improve everything we touch, perhaps sometimes we fail, but not deliberatley.

<<Do you really have the Mystara rights?>>

Our license does include Mystara.

<<On the note of Garweeze World, is there a world book in the making? It seems like that would be one of the first products agfter the core that you would want to release (or maybe I would want you to release). Here's hoping. >>

yes. Part of it is in the GMG, another part will be in Little Keep on the Borderlands. But the main thing is a 2003 release...hopefully January 2003, but I won't commit yet.

<<A few more questions too, if you don't mind. >>

not at all.

<<I know that the products are still kind of far off, but my curiousity is rising. >>

mine too.

<<What type of things will we see in the Fighter and Wizard books? Here's hoping you don't copy the formula of 2nd edition handbooks. Oh, those things were horrible. >>

They're not like the 2e ones. By that I mean, they won't suck. The wizards one has quite a bit fleshed out and completed. it'll include new classes and details on specializing and taking a concentration (sort of like double specializing). It has all new classes of spells (woeful spells, for example for the blood mage and concussory spells -- you'll like those), plus extra spells for the old ones.

<<What exactly is the Hacklopidea Index? Is it just that? An index? Or is there going to be more juicier material in it? >>

If you've ever bought a K&C product, you'll know our biggest failing is we JUST CAN'T LET IT GO. So of course there's all sorts of extra stuff in there.We won't be ready to discuss exact details quite yet, but there'll be quick reference charts with more stats and encounter tables parsed (indexed?) all sorts of different ways. This book will prove very useful.

<<One last one: the adventures. What type of page count are you looking at? Are they going to be 32 or are we going to luck out with longer and larger books. >>

let's see. B1 (opening B1 up to look at it...) is 48 pages. We completely eliminated ALL margins (leaving only a tiny gap of wite space for cutting/printing error purposes/leeway). Because of this, you get a lot of material, but the text is not cramped (we were concerned about reference dring play if we went with out usual 1400 words per page (as in GMG). We pumped up the point size on the boxed text as well to make it easier for the GM. But you still get something like 45000 words, 2 tear-out (perfed) player handouts and two perfed GM "Battle Sheets" to check off HPs and armor points.

In short, our modules will always be more than 32 pages. I think Little Keep may be perfect bound 80 pages! (but don't hold me to that as we're still editing anddoing layout).

thundershot

Adventurer
YES!! More adventures!!!

The one I woud look forward to the most, however, would be a HackMaster version of X1 ISLE OF DREAD... I STILL use that adventure as a backdrop for D&D even to this day!! Having it available for a HackMaster adventure would be spectacular!!

Thanks!
Chris

Cevalic

First Post
Ah! 2003! Oh well. I can wait patiently.... Is it here yet?

Sweet! Woeful spells! I've wanted to know how a woeful spell worked after Brian cast it in one of the comics. If I recall correctly he had to go to sleep and ended up getting killed.

Sounds like you're doing everything right. The adventures sound like they are easily worth the money.

Hackjournal, is it real or just a joke? If it's real, where can I subscribe?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer all of my questions.

Remove ads