• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kenzer and Company Product Update 3/15/02

Noah Kolman

First Post
Hey everyone,

I must apologize for the long time since my last update. We have had several big products that needed working on, and I was unable to come here and post. Nevertheless, I am back with another update. Enjoy.

Kingdoms of Kalamar

Recent Releases:

Geanavue: Stones of Peace, by Ed Greenwood - 176 pgs - $24.99
Looking for more excitement than your local town or village can give you? Missing that hustle and bustle of city life? Or do you just need a place to hide out from those raiding giants, pirates and other dangers? If so, look no further. Welcome to Geanavue, the Stones of Peace: a completely detailed fantasy city for D&D® campaign play, set in the popular Kingdoms of Kalamar setting. From the pen of Ed Greenwood, one of the best-known D&D writers of all time, comes this richly detailed setting. Geanavue is a haven of justice and prosperity for your characters — but one that, for the unwary, can be just as deadly as the monster-haunted hills. Join fully developed guilds, and ready your weapons, as you become involved in the long-running intrigues of colorful, detailed noble families. See famous landmarks and be guided to interesting shops and underground societies. Hear the local rumors and seek the dangers that lie behind them. Welcome home, adventurers.
Geanavue is a city designed to be used either as a 'home base' or simply as a stopover in a Kalamar campaign. From the daily lives of commoners and castle officials to precarious conditions in the lawless port of nearby Loona, this sourcebook presents a firm foundation for years of adventure. Geanavue comes packed with well over 100,000 words detailing hundreds of noble houses, guilds, inns, taverns, NPCs, spells and other crunchy bits as well as a 2-sided poster-sized map of Geanavue, the surrounding lands, the under-city and Loona. This sourcebook also introduces KenzerCo’s latest innovation: the Rumor Quest Encounter System, a novel and elegant method of bringing a city to life while simultaneously disseminating information (and random encounters!) to the players.

I was always excited about the prospects for Geanavue, but when I got the product in my hand, it exceeded all my expectations. This book is fantastic and could easily be dropped into any campaign. Ask for it by name at your game store.

Invasion of Arun'Kid - 32-48 pgs - $11.99
Arun’Kid - a small farming village with a sinister legacy. Now, a group of gnomes seeks vengeance for wrongs done to them long ago. But to save the village, the heroes must seek answers from the most unlikely sources. Everyone seems to want to claim the village of Arun’Kid - the gnomes, the Kingdom and even a murderous band of brigands. But who should get it is up to the heroes to decide… This Kingdoms of Kalamar adventure is intended for 1st to 3rd level players. This fantastic adventure also includes new 3e magic items, monsters and NPC classes.

Arun'Kid has been released and is available for purchase. Ask your favorite retailer for it.

Upcoming Releases:

Kingdoms of Kalamar Player's Guide - 128-272 pgs est. - $24.99
This is it. The definitive sourcebook for Dungeons and Dragons™ and a must have for any player or DM. Set in the popular Kingdoms of Kalamar™ campaign setting, this book is loaded with new official Dungeons and Dragons™ material including: five new variant classes, ten new prestige classes, over 70 new feats, new weapons, new armor, new combat options, new clerical domains, new spells and a new class of spells: scalable spells. Also included is more detailed information about the world of Tellene, its races, classes and politics that will allow Dungeons and Dragons™ players to create a unique character that matches their unique vision. Additionally, D&D™ Dungeon Masters will have a plethora of information at their fingertips with which to customize any campaign world. An abundant source of official Dungeons and Dragons™ material of the high quality you have come to expect from Kenzer and Company, this is one product you do not want to miss.

The Player’s Guide is almost finished layout and will be sent to the printer shortly. Right now it looks like it will come in at 272 pages, and it will be hardcover. I am VERY excited about this product. It will add many things to the Kalamar campaign that people have been anticipating and will flesh out the world as a whole. In addition, any of the material in the book can be used in any campaign. Though the book is designed for the Kingdoms of Kalamar, the material could be added to any world with little or no effort.

Pekal Gazetteer - K&C 1003 - 48 pgs est. - $11.99 est.
This Kingdoms of Kalamar world supplement is for DMs and players alike. It includes expanded information on the nation of Pekal, from the powerful College of Magic to the war with the Kingdom of Tokis. Explore Bet Rogala, the capital city, and keep your wits about you as you become involved in the long-running intrigues of the various secular, political, subversive, magic and religious organizations of the realm. As this book includes character creation guidelines for the Living Kalamar™ campaign, it is ideal for learning about RPGA member driven organized play or for independent home use. The Pekal Gazetteer also includes two new Kingdoms of Kalamar adventures to use in any campaign! Like all Kingdoms of Kalamar products, the Pekal Gazetteer is an official, fully licensed D&D campaign setting (all text and images are approved by both KenzerCo and Wizards of the Coast) – it’s more than just a d20 product!

The Pekal Gazetteer is currently on schedule and should hit stores sometime in June.

Villain Design Handbook - K&C 1004 - 96-112 pgs est. - $19.99 est.
ALL NEW! This Kingdoms of Kalamar supplement is perfect for the Dungeon Master who wants to easily create fantastic villains with detailed histories and motives. This is more than simply a book of NPCs! This handbook contains dozens of new villain archetypes that DMs can use as a foundation for creating their own villain, prestige classes, feats and anti-feats, as well as information on giving villains real motivations and obsessions, the criminal psychology of the villain, the villain’s place in society, building levels of intrigue, how to avoid common stereotypes, prestige classes, feats, anti-feats and more! A new Kingdoms of Kalamar adventure is also included! Like all Kingdoms of Kalamar products, the Villain Design Handbook is an official, fully licensed D&D campaign setting (all text and images are approved by both KenzerCo and Wizards of the Coast) – it’s more than just a d20 product!

The Villain Design Handbook is currently on schedule and should hit stores sometime in June.

HackMaster 4th Edition

Recent Releases:

B1: Quest for the Unknown – 48 pgs - $11.99
Many years ago, rumor has it that two noted personages, a fighter of renown and a magic-user of mystery and power pooled their resources and expertise to construct a massive stronghold as a base of operations. But now word has reached your heroes – the personages are dead, and the fortress is up for grabs – if they can only survive it. This first HackMaster module is filled with plenty of hacking, and intended for beginning players.

This is the first HackMaster adventure, and it is an update of the old module Search for the Unknown. We have updated the adventure but maintained the old school feel. Even the maps are done in the old cyan (blue) color. The module comes with a bunch of great art and a battle tracker that will make your combats run very smoothly.

Hacklopedia of Beasts Volume 7 - 128 pgs - $19.99
ALL NEW! This comprehensive set of reference manuals is a must for HackMaster GMs. The seventh volume picks up where the sixth one left off by continuing down the alphabet and describing terrifying monsters in sometimes-frightening scientific detail. Every monster in the Fourth Edition Hacklopedia has been revised, edited, and updated, as well as having their HackFactors beefed up to bring them in line with the rest of the game. Among other features, readers will learn about monster social structures, activity cycles, diets, attack modes (including special attacks), morale and even how to make the most of their kills by salvaging monster remains of potential value. Derived from the 1st/2nd edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons game system (under license) - millions of players already know the basics - now they can get the details!

HoB VII is out. Ask for it by name.

Upcoming Releases:

B2: Little Keep on the Border Lands – 144 pgs est. - $17.99 est.
Somewhere near the Border Lands, amidst the forest and tangled ferns, are chaotic caves where ravenous creatures lie in wait for unwary heroes. This HackMaster module is not for the wuss of heart! Only members of that exceptional class, adventurers in search of fame and fortune, and willing to pass through many harrowing experiences together, should apply. This HackMaster module’s exciting underground and wilderness settings provide plenty of adventure for novice and seasoned players alike.

This one will be a behemoth. We originally planned for 32-48 pages, the not-so-Little Keep will come in at 144 pages. This module will take you several months to play through, and is a mini campaign setting more than a module. We put a lot of hard work and love into this product, and I think you will enjoy it very much. Each of the humanoid tribes in the Mines of Chaos is fully detailed along with all the buildings in the Keep. DO NOT miss this one. It is being printed and should be in stores at the end of March or beginning of April.

Game Master’s Shield - HackMaster RPG - $19.99 est.
This monstrous 32-panel goliath is fully adaptable and customizable to individual GMs, including dry-erase marker compatible lamination. The shield transforms from Combat Mode and Non-Combat Mode using the new ingeniously engineered HackFlap™ system. GMs won’t even need to reference the Player’s Handbook or the GameMaster’s Guide for a single chart during play! This revolution in gaming includes several new tables including the City/Town Encounter Matrix and the famous KenzerCo Pizza Matrix. It contains 32 panels, only four of which are art and effectively combines 7 screens into one. When you see this shield, you will know what your grandfather felt about the first bread-slicer.

This will be the best GM shield ever. I promise. I have been running the HackMaster game here at the office using the mock-up for the game. It is amazing. The art is awesome, and you won’t believe how much information is on there. And it’s all readable. It is being printed as I post, and we expect it to arrive here in the office by the end of next week. Give it another 2-3 weeks to get to stores after that, and we are looking at another end of March early April release.

HackMaster RPG Hacklopedia of Beasts Volume 8 - 128 pgs - $19.99
ALL NEW! This comprehensive set of reference manuals is a must for HackMaster GMs and players alike. This eighth, 144-page volume picks up where the seventh one left off by continuing down the alphabet and describing terrifying monsters in sometimes-frightening scientific detail, as well as including a comprehensive index. Every monster in the Fourth Edition Hacklopedia has been revised, edited, and updated, as well as having their HackFactors beefed up to bring them in line with the rest of the game. Among other features, readers will learn about monster social structures, activity cycles, diets, attack modes (including special attacks), morale and even how to make the most of their kills by salvaging monster remains of potential value. Derived from the 1st/2nd edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons game system (under license) - millions of players already know the basics - now they can get the details!

HoB VIII is actually ahead of schedule, and should be in stores in early May.

HackMaster Player Advantage Character Record Book - K&C2103 - 16 pages - $4.99 est.
ALL NEW! Don’t waste your time with those dinky one-page character sheets - pick up a copy of the official HackMaster Player Advantage Character Record Book instead! This full-size, 16-page book gives you a sheet everything you need, no matter what type of character you’re playing, with space for all the information on your family record, grudges, quirks and flaws, space for all your treasure and magic items, and much MUCH more! Also featuring a complete spell log and adventure log, as well as a new set of HackMaster player coupons!

The record book is coming along nicely. It should be ready for a May release.

Official HackMaster Tactical Combat Miniatures
ALL NEW! Bigger, badder and more dangerous – these ain’t yer pappy’s miniatures! These four HackMaster minatures (45-50 mm, sculpted by Steve Buddle) are the perfect addition to any GM’s campaign. Scare your players with these!

Beholder (with eyestalks) - K&C 4059 - $2.99
Great Horned Owlbear (includes two eggs) - K&C 4060 - $8.99
Lewd Beholder (with eyestalks and arms) - K&C 4061 - $2.99
Yeti (use as arctic, tropical, or temperate Yeti) - K&C 4062 - $8.99

The masters of these minis look really good, each one better than the last. I am sure that you will all be happy to have these tearing across your table in the near future. Look for these great minis in May.

Blind Wretched Pursuer - $2.99 est.
Sculpted By Steve Buddle
Blister pack of 1 model
The Blind Wretched Pursuer looks like an eyeless zombie, but it is really a vengeful spirit bent on punishing anyone it comes across. They will never see it coming!

Simian Orcs - $12.99
Sculpted by Steve Buddle
Blister pack of 4 models including shields
Half Orc, half ape, and all attitude- these guys are even bigger and ill tempered than your run of the mill Orcs. Armed with clubs, axes, swords and shields they are ready for combat!

I have seen the masters of these first HackMaster minis and they look really good. These should be ready in time for a late April release.

Dungeons & Dragons Comic

Recent Releases:

Dungeons and Dragons: Tempest’s Gate #2 - 24-32 pgs. - $2.99
Issue #2 "Forged in Tears" (part two of four)
Sean Smith, writer - Mike Lilly, pencils - Bob Wiacek, Inks - Mickey Clausen, colorist

The bold new era of Dungeons and Dragons continues with this brand-new series from acclaimed Nightwing penciller Mike Lilly and JLA writer Sean Smith!
While the paladin Aidus journeys to the capital with his new ally, the powerful sorcerer Zed-Kraken, the beautiful half-elf Vail fights a lone battle against a pair of savage were-rats! Will Aidus survive a duel to the death, not to mention political conflicts and assassinations? Who are the mysterious were-rats, and who are the other pair watching and waiting in the shadows? And what is the tragic past that ties all our heroes together? Find out – if you dare….

Tempest’s Gate #2 is already at your favorite comic store.

Upcoming Releases:

Dungeons and Dragons: In the Shadow of Dragons #8 - 24-32 pgs. - $2.99
Issue #8 "Where Four Strangers Once Stood..." (part eight of eight)
Jay Donovan, writer - Tommy Castillo, covers, pencils and inks - Scott Kester, colorist

The stunning conclusion to this incredible saga! Our heroes face not one, but two dangerous threats – a fearsome dragon attack and a murderous assault by one whom they formerly called friend. Death, betrayal, murder, and revenge. It’s all here... but how will it end? The answer will surprise you - don't miss it!

In the Shadow of Dragons #8 is on schedule for its May release.

Knights of the Dinner Table

Knights of the Dinner Table is the longest running comic book on the subject of games and gamers. The principal characters – B.A., Brian, Bob, Dave, Sara and the dastardly Black Hands play numerous characters in their role-playing games. But their essential characteristics and hilarious interactions always shine through whatever roles they’re playing. In addition to the comics, KoDT features articles geared to a gamer’s perspective. A fantastic and hilarious slice of (fantasy) life in strips.

KODT will continue coming out each month. There will be plenty of Kalamar, D20 and HackMaster articles as well as the usual assortment of strips and regular column. Don’t miss it. It is still only $2.99, and subscriptions are available.

Knights of the Dinner Table: Bundle of Trouble Volume 9 - K&C709 - 96 pgs est. - $9.99 est.
WOW! It’s been 16 months since the last one. Here, as many of you have requested, is the compilation of Knights of the Dinner Table issues #25 through #27. This 96 page book also comes with approximately 20 pages of extra material. That’s almost like getting an extra KODT issue for free!

thundershot

Adventurer
Couple of things:

Looks like I might be getting the Player's Guide after all, judging by what's in it in the other thread floating about. This would end up my first Kalamar product...

Character record book: GREAT idea! The only problem *I* see, is that at 5 bucks a pop, it doesn't seem very useful to players in HackMaster, giving the fatality rate of characters....

KODT: Nice to see another BoT, but what *I* want to see is a "phone book" style book collecting ALL of those KoDT issues. Want to add icing on that cake? Make it hardcover... I'd buy it in a second.

Thanks!
Chris

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Here are my thoughts on Geanavue...

GEANAVUE: STONES OF PEACE
(Kenzer & Co. SC, $24.95)
By Ed "Elminster" Greenwood

THE PRO's
1) Ed has indeed created a very detailed, in-depth setting

2) Beautiful, detailed color map (doublesided with B&W sewer system network map on reverse).

3) Lots of Guilds, Noble and Merchant Families, and other NPCs (statted out in the back)

4) RumorQuest (TM) tear-out cards with great ways to make the city come alive as well as serve as adventure hooks (basically snippets of conversation between NPCs on various subjects). This is really cool and saves the DM a lot of work!

5) Complete run-down on the justice system, including what happens when you get arrested and jailed...

6) Bonus section covering a cool sleazy "lawless" ghetto area (not mapped, which upset me a bit) that has sprung up outside the city proper. ***HINT to KENZER: A map of this would make a great web enhancement...

7) Lower magic than most Ed Greenwood projects, with nary a beholder, dragon or @#$% Harper in sight!

8) Sewer system discussed in detail

9) Can be dropped into just about any campaign with only minor tweaking

10) With moderate to major tweaking, Geanavue could serve as an excellent 3e version of Lankhmar

THE CON's
1) Ed Greenwood writing style (since he wrote it), so lots of FR sounding names, characters and situations---the book reads just like any FR thing he's ever done, which is comforting on the one hand (1e/2e nostalgia) and annoying on the other... at least to me. YMMV.

2) Too politically correct and not "medieval" enough in its laws and attitudes, IMO (much like FR). YMMV, and you can always tweak it... It could be made into a much darker, grittier place... Overall, it's a little on the bland side, like just about everything in Kingdoms of Kalamar and FR (at least to me).

3) Cover art is atrociously poor (fat, stupid-looking fire giant fighting some other giant while adventurers look on with city in background)

4) Some of Kalamar's names can be hard to pronounce, even the name of the city is not just not cool or easy to pronounce unless you're French (minor quibble, easily tweaked)

5) Costs $25 at a time when Freeport: City of Adventure is coming out, so most gamers who want a new city setting will be forced to choose between the two...

CONCLUSION
:) MR. HAPPY-FACE SAYS: I say Geanavue: Stones of Peace delivers a good solid value for your gaming dollar, and many people probably won't share my distaste for certain aspects of it, so go ahead and buy it. Overall, it's a great accessory to have. I may end up buying it myself at some point, but only when I'm prepared to do some extensive tweaking to render it more "Lankhmarian" in tone...

:( MR. FROWNY-FACE SAYS: People looking for a grittier urban setting should probably wait for Freeport: City of Adventure (coming in a few weeks) and compare. But if you are ambitious and don't mind moderate to major tweaking, and want to get started N-O-W, Geanavue can be a great skeleton to build your homebrew "gritty city" on. It *almost* has that wonderful "Lankhmar" feel to it... So close, dammit!

Last edited:

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
I've long awaited this product.

Ed Greenwood's a great writer. Those who hate the so-called "munchkin" power level of FR can see him also add his High Fantasy flavor and writing style to a more low-level type of game.

I basically agree with KK's reviews, except the part about so called "politically correct" laws. I did not like the fact that the city doesn't seem to have a "slum" area, which seems unrealistic, but the laws are similar to Reinansance era stuff--there are still dank dungeons, etc, and it's not going to be like the modern world, but it doesn't have to be true Middle Ages as well with Torture Chambers.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Well, it's a long running argument among D&D (or fantasy) on just how medieval a fantasy world would be.

Personally, I'm with those who think the medieval mindset is something of an aberration - a product of the strong corrupt and powerful church, and the fall of the Roman Empire.

IMHO, laws would be more like the Romans...

bolen

First Post
This is the best product that you guys have published since the main book.

Please let me echo a need for a new magic system for Kalamar. I would love some type of point based system. I kind of like the one in Sovergn Stone but it is very world specific.

I hope WoC's layoffs do not affect you guys.

Last edited:

bolen

First Post
Are there any plans for doing a City of Loons sourcebook? This is the area that I plan on running. Although running in Genaveve is tempting now.

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
Bolen,

The plan is for us to publish the Loona supplement, written by Ed, this September or so. It was originally planned to go in the Geanavue book, but both cities turned out to need so much room that we decided Loona really deserved a book of its own.

Mark Plemmons
Kenzer and Company
www.kenzerco.com

Remove ads