• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Keterys, I've got a Monster Question

VBMEW-01

First Post
What guidelines (and math) do you usefor monster creation?

I know you use the books now, but what were your earlier formulas?

We're making the monsters for our setting and I thought I'd seek out advice.:cool:

keterys

First Post
My own notes and guesses were eerily close to WotC's in many ways - I drifted a little lower on defense than they did was the main difference I saw.

I don't have a copy of the math I wrote up before, but I believe I'd suggested

Attack - Median Level +5, AC attacks usually 2 higher than other defenses, Max Range Level +2 to Level +7 (I didn't make AoE any lower, though)

Defense - Median Level + 12, but high variance by type,AC average 2 higher than others, and often dipping lower.

Damage - I was _very_ fuzzy on this, operating mostly from instinct and a vague 'Well, something like 1d8 + 1/2 level'

I was wrong about solo hit points - didn't know it would all be 8 no matter the role, and didn't expect the x4 for Heroic only. To be honest, I'm a little weirded out by the 8 no matter the role, since you still have soldier solos having huge defenses or lurkers who can have -5 to attack them with concealment - while brutes are the easiest to kill.

VBMEW-01

First Post
Cool stuff. One more question.

Other than bonusing things based on particularly high ability scores, I notice that it doesnt tell you to go completely by the BIG SIX, as far as determining everything (its based on level). My question is, do you still use Strength (or Dex, etc) for the damage bonus on attacks, and the bonus to skills?

keterys

First Post
Yep, I do... but I sorta cheat for damage.

Damage - Use the ability score for the final plus, but alter the dice to fit what I want. Like, if I want a mob to do 10 damage and it's +3 stat, 2d6 + 3... if it's +5 stat, 2d4 + 5 (or more likely 1d8 or 1d10, not a big fan of d4s), etc.

Initiative - Dex + 0 to 5 (now 2 and 4 more commonly, but back then less so)
Skills - As usual, sometimes with +2 to +5 additional bonus

Remove ads