• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kevin Smith (Ares from Xena) dead

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
That's so terrible. I thought he was a great comic actor and a honourable man. It's a real loss and my thoughts are with his family. What a shame.

Dahak

Explorer
I think my name gives away that I was a fan of the series.

Besides working on Hercules, Xena and Young Hercules, Kevin was the star of a cop drama mini-series called "Lawless", and was slated to appear in Sci Fi Channels adaptation of Phillip Jose Farmer's Riverworld.

Kevin was also a talented singer and guitarist, frequently performing with former co-star Joel Tobeck (Strife & Deimos from Herc/Xena/YH). He even was an Elvis Impersonator at some point (which is what the Ares God of Love character was a poke at).

I had noticed on a Xena related website (whoosh.org) that he had been injured, but it was listed as a non-life threatening situation. I am saddened that it was not the case. :(

Psionicist

Explorer
Too bad.

I don't know that guy. I don't even know who he is. People die every day - every minute. Why oh why does they only mention "celebrities" in the news? On the websites? In the radio? Are they important? Of course they are! Are they better than everyone else - no way! They are no better humans than you, me or that poor kid who died in some exotic fever far far away. Why aren't he in the news? Are this Kevin dude better and more worthy sa a human than this particular kid?

No way.

Shard O'Glase

First Post
Yeah but Ares rocked at least in the begining. When he became a putz comic relief joxer the mighty like even, I got irked that they made freakin Ares the god of war such a lameo. It was worse in the last couple of seasons of herc when herc basically pimped slapped him easily and basically just got annoyed with him since he wasn't a threat just an anoyance. (the 4 horsemen episode really ticked me off, cause they just wrecked a totally cool character)

Holy Bovine

First Post
Psionicist said:
Too bad.

I don't know that guy. I don't even know who he is. People die every day - every minute. Why oh why does they only mention "celebrities" in the news? On the websites? In the radio? Are they important? Of course they are! Are they better than everyone else - no way! They are no better humans than you, me or that poor kid who died in some exotic fever far far away. Why aren't he in the news? Are this Kevin dude better and more worthy sa a human than this particular kid?

No way.

Who is saying that this actor is better than anyone else? There are fans of the Hercules/Xena show on this site who would probably be interested in this news. I am not a fan of either show but it is a shame the guy died so young.

We don't hear about every death that happens around the world for obvious logistical reasons. Just because the death of an actor is reported on the news is not an indication that that person is better than anyone else. I think it's more linked to the fact that more people would have heard of Kevin Smith (or whoever) than the unnamed boy you describe.

Death is all around us and a reminder that it happens to everyone at all levels of human culture maybe keeps things in perspective for some. Try not to take reports like this too much to heart and certainly not as a indicator that any one person's life is more important than anyone else's (or that that is the message being conveyed).

Jamdin

Explorer
This has not been a good week. I catch the flu, find out that Waylon Jennings died on my 37th birthday which I slept away, can't speak on Valentine's Day & now find out that Kevin Smith is dead. He was a good actor but too bad he will be remember for mostly Ares who was good guy to hate.

Remove ads