• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kickin' it old school -- are you game?

JoeGKushner

First Post
Frostmarrow said:
Nah. I just meant since there is a skill, Gather Information, that allows you to by-pass an entire evening of role-playing legwork so why aren't there a skill that allows you to by-pass an entire combat encounter? -But it was said tongue in cheek and just for laughs. In fact I enjoy combat as much as role-playing but to me it's strange just to be wanting one of the two. Discussions here at ENs tend to become formulaic but I enjoy this too nevertheless. :)

Well, as mentioned in several places, there are a few games that do expand on the social context of using the mechanics for the game.

And as others have noted, they do model the results of the dice rolls based on what people have said.

But I do understand where you're coming from.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I used to own an entire shelf filled from right to left chock full of pre 3rd Edition DnD books. I have played all incrantaions of the game and my fave out of all pre 3rd Edition editions is Basic. It has got to be the simplest RPG I ahve ever played. I have fond memories of playing first edition with my GM mentor, even though second editon was out at the time (1991), though neither of us was aware of it. I started collecting the books and before I knew it my gaming collection outdid my mentors collection.

Out of every edition so far though my favorite is 3.5. I find it liberating out of all of them. The only constraints to the game are only limited by the palyer's imagination.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Sebastian Francis said:
One funny thing: in 3/3.5 whenever our group interacts with NPCs we simply shrug and say, "I'll make a Diplomacy check." In AD&D 1e the DM is making us (gasp) role-play.

That's exactly how I do it in 3E actually. The rules are there to support a RPG...not replace one. I, as the DM, tell the player when they get to make a skill check.

I was big into 1st edition AD&D (and Basic D&D-- what is sometime referred to as the 'Cyclopedia" to a much lesser degree).

I liked it back then-- a lot, and we ran some memorable and fun campaigns. But I'd also like to say that the very best elements of 1e and D&D are in the version of D&D I play now (which happens to be pretty much rules-as-written 3.5).

I didnt like AD&D2 at all, I guess I should mention.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads