Kickstarter Deal-Breakers (Poll)

What made you decide not to back that Kickstarter project?

• This is the creator's very first crowdfunding project.

Votes: 13 12.5%
  • The crowdfunding page is slapdash or poorly-written.

Votes: 69 66.3%
  • The comment section is full of complaints and/or hateful people.

Votes: 27 26.0%
  • The creator's own personal reputation.

Votes: 65 62.5%
  • The creator's fulfillment history with other crowdfunding projects.

Votes: 73 70.2%
  • The shipping costs for the project.

Votes: 42 40.4%
  • The shipping schedule for the project.

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • The use of AI artwork.

Votes: 51 49.0%
  • The use of AI writing.

Votes: 55 52.9%
  • The product is exclusively for 5E D&D

Votes: 36 34.6%
  • The product isn't exclusively for 5E D&D.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • The product has already met its goal.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • The product is struggling to meet its goal.

Votes: 21 20.2%
  • There are too many stretch goals.

Votes: 32 30.8%
  • There aren't enough stretch goals.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Lack of add-ons and accessories.

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • The product does not offer electronic/PDF format.

Votes: 28 26.9%
  • The product does not offer physical/print format.

Votes: 16 15.4%
  • Other, I'll explain below.

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • NEW: The cost of the project (not including shipping)

Votes: 43 41.3%
  • NEW: The product didn't have a usable demo/preview.

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • NEW: It's nothing personal; I just don't do crowdfunding at all.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • NEW: The product is for a system/game/edition that I don't like.

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • NEW: The quality of other products by the same creator.

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • NEW: The product isn't made by one of the specific creators/companies I support.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NEW: Unrelated stretch goals (like hats and stickers being offered for a book project).

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • NEW: The product is of no use to me.

Votes: 11 10.6%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Suppose you are browsing the Internet, and you see an ad for a new TTRPG project over on Kickstarter. It captures your interest, so you click over to the page to give it a closer look. And after a few minutes, you decide "Hmm, no, this is not for me" and click away, never to return.

What made you click away? Vote for any that apply.

(For the purpose of this poll, "Kickstarter" refers to any crowdfunding platform, including BackerKit, GoFundMe, and IndieGoGo.)

Last edited:

General_Tangent

Adventurer
If I can't obtain a digital copy of the book I'm no longer interested in the project.

Also, one project I ran into had a somewhat hostile tweet from a creator lamenting that they should have the power to cancel all the pledges of a tier just to deal with those people who backed at a dollar.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
In the years before the pandemic, I backed a lot of Kickstarters. According to my KS page, I've backed 58 projects since 2016, and all but two of them have been for TTRPG projects. I've only been burned once (I helped fund a novel that never got written), all of the other projects I've backed have been satisfactory and delivered on a reasonable schedule.

But when Kickstarter (the company) jumped on the NFT/BitCoin bandwagon, I boycotted them. I went from backing ~12 Kickstarter projects a year, to none. I switched over to BackerKit and I won't go back until they officially, specifically, and publicly change their stance on NFTs.

Anyway. As for crowdfunding as a whole, I've walked away from projects because they had multiple spelling/grammar errors on their product page, or they rambled on and on about their project without providing enough actual details about the project. (I remember one Kickstarter a while back, where I read the intro page three times and still couldn't tell if it was for a set of minis or a campaign setting.)

I've also walked away because of the creator's personal reputation (especially their behavior on social media, and the company they keep.) And this is a more recent hang-up of mine, but it's becoming more prevalent so I'm having to leverage it more often: I won't back a project that uses AI-generated writing or artwork, full stop.

Last edited:

Meech17

Adventurer
I chose the option around the "Shipping Schedule."

Honestly, for me a lot of it comes down to cost. A lot of these Kickstarters can be really pricy. I may be interested in something but I always have to ask "Am I willing to pay $50-$100 for a product now... That I may not see for a year or more?" and that is usually enough to scare me away honestly.

When you crowdfund these things you're signing on for a project that is usually unfinished, and you always run the risk of it maybe not living up to the idea that is being pitched to you, either because the creator isn't up to the task of delivering what they promised, or it's possible their vision changes and re-flavors the project in-between the time you back it and the time it makes it to print. Worst case scenario it never delivers at all. Granted this is less of a fear when you're dealing with more reputable companies like Kobold Press who have a history of delivering their products, but stuff happens. There's no promise that they will always live up to that reputation.

I may be a poor individual to answer this question as I am super risk-adverse in this area. I'm a PC gamer that got to see the rise of Early Access video games, and the great successes like Minecraft, and the massive failures like DayZ. I struggle to trust crowd funding.

The only TTRPG project I've ever backed was The Dungeon Coach's book, and I think I really did that in the midst of a manic high. I also think it was largely complete though, and he was really just crowdfunding the printing. The last thing I kickstarted was a MTG Deckbox which I'm very happy with, but took over a year for delivery, and ended up several months late, which put me in an awkward spot as I was moving.

I see a lot of kickstarters and back almost none of them, simply because I'm not certain I can keep up my hype for a year or more. So I have to really look at the offerings and see, what advantage do I have now, that I lose by waiting for it to be something I can just buy when it comes out?

Other, I'll explain below.​

Terrible experiences with previous KS means I'll never crowdfund anything again, whether through KS or another platform. I won't even do manufacturer-site gimmicks like North Star's "Nickstarters" where they're mostly a de facto preorder.

Still click through sometimes to look at what's in the works, but I'm not backing no matter what. Just want to know when I might see it available for purchase, which often means taking the stated fulfillment date and moving it forward a few years.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
It's been one of those weeks, eh?
The week I'm having:
coffee is hard GIF

Remove ads