• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kickstarter Kickstarter Roundup: 3 Projects You Might Have Missed

This week I thought I'd take a walk through some of the darker corners of Kickstarter projects to see what might be good fun. There are some winners, so check these out while there's still time. These are kick starters for items that may have missed your notice -- they're not actual games, but accessories/gadgets that have either a direct or indirect application for gamers.

This week I thought I'd take a walk through some of the darker corners of Kickstarter projects to see what might be good fun. There are some winners, so check these out while there's still time.

These are kick starters for items that may have missed your notice -- they're not actual games, but accessories/gadgets that have either a direct or indirect application for gamers.

1. The Best Damn Metal Gaming Coins Ever (4 days to go)

These aren't the first coins intended to hit the market -- I was fascinated by Campaign Coins when they appeared on the market a few years ago, and I've considered using them in my home games.

As an interim, I did print paper money for a while -- using EN Publishing's Fantasy Money PDFs to print my own money. With paper, it was a little less satisfying than I imagine that having coins would be, but it was still an interesting addition to the magic item cards and other tokens I was passing out when the PCs found a cache.

The Best Damn Metal Gaming Coins Ever (please, by all that's holy, let me call them BDMGCE from now on…) are a very interesting improvement on campaign coins because of the way they're tied to specific cultures and periods. So, if you were a kickstarter backer for the Weird Wars: Rome setting (Savage Worlds), you might want to pick up a few sets of the Roman coins to use as loot or tokens in your game.

Tactile props are a big help, and even if you don't use them all the time, these can be a fun way to make the table experience a little better for your players.

2. Kapture The Audio Recording Wristband (26 days to go)

I'm a fan of audio recording gadgets -- I use my Livescribe pen for work and gaming, and get a lot out of both of them. If nothing else, it's a great aid to memory.

This new project puts a watch-style wristband on you that is always on, recording a 60 second buffered loop. If something happens around you and you want to preserve the moment, tap the Kapture and it stores the previous 60 seconds of audio, which is then downloaded to your smartphone, where you can edit it, tag it, etc.

With smart watches, Google Glass, and other wearable tech creating all kinds of noise, this is one more new technology idea that could be interesting. I don't know about this one, but it's interesting to see people coming up with new variations.

The primary advantage of the Kapture is that you don't need to know ahead of time that you're going to want to save a moment. It creates the possibility of a spontaneous capture -- you'll be able to say "wow, that was funny", tap your wrist, and save the moment to share. Will we see a sort of explosion of audio files alongside the instagrams and vines of the world? Who knows.

For gamers, though, it means always being able to say "that was an important moment" and saving it as a point of reference. And, it has the extra feature of making your privacy nut friends paranoid that they're always being recorded.

3. Mimic Miniatures: Personalized Gaming Miniatures of You (23 days to go)

View attachment 58833
(image from the Mimic Miniatures Kicstarter page, featuring the heads of authors Dave Farland, Tracy Hickman, Laura Hickman, Larry Correia, and Carter Reid)

This is a dynamite idea. Three cheese for the saints that brought us 3D Printing, and the nerds who came up with this idea and put it into production.

It works like this -- they take a photograph or two of you (or someone else whose picture you send them) and they create a 28mm mini scale head based on those pictures. Depending on the backing level you select, and other options, you might want a handful of heads to put on your own minis, or you might want a complete mini (they have a handful of iconic models, and more will be unlocked as the Kickstarter continues).

The heads and minis are unpainted, but if you're not into painting yourself, Mimic Miniatures has partnered with Blue Table Painting who you can get to paint them for you.

Now, don't be surprised -- this is not a cheap mini. The $25 backer level will get you a single min -- say you wanted to try to convince your wife to play by getting her a steam punk gal mini and putting her head on it -- that's what it's going to run you. Or, for $48, you could back the project at the "4 Head" level, and get zombie versions of your brother's head to use on some of your zombie minis. Having Blue Table paint them for you will also not be cheap, but it might just be worth it.

So, what do you think? Anything here you're going to back? Any other kick starters out there you're excited about that might have been missed by the community?

Radiating Gnome

Adventurer
I think Kickstarter would do better to be more selective about the projects they approve and hew closer to their own terms of what qualifies as a project.

I don't think they could do that and still be Kickstarter. Essentially, when the big name guys use it, they're usually funding the last-mile development of a product and getting preorders. They do well because they already have an audience and they market to them.

Folks who don't already have that audience need to be very proactive with their marketing, but that's a very different skillset from the one that helps them design a good product -- so very often they don't do a very good job of marketing themselves.

The marketing problem isn't really a Kickstarter problem -- at least, not directly. Blaming them for projects not being marketed well is not fair -- they can't be expected to know how best to market a project to every single niche community. The can make suggestions and recommendations all day long, but in the end it's the people in the community who should be expected to know how best to market their project.

Take something like the Mimic Miniatures project. That seems like a great project idea, which should have a lot of legs, but unless I've missed it (entirely possible) it hasn't been mentioned here on EN World. Has it been mentioned on other sites? It looks like they've been either mentioned or posted about the project themselves on a handful of gamer sites (boardgame geek, rpg.net, others) and they've got about 200 likes on Facebook, but not on EN World. It's entirely possible that those guys don't use EN World (our focus has been very heavy D&D for years, so if they don't play D&D or Pathfinder, they may use other sites more) and so it hasn't occurred to them to post here.

In our balkanized internet, even a fairly small niche community like tabletop gaming has smaller sub-communities like EN World, RPG.net, and so on. Marketing to all of those sub-communities is a huge job, much bigger than most entrepreneurs realize when they get starter with their kickstarter.

pindercarl

First Post
The marketing problem isn't really a Kickstarter problem -- at least, not directly. Blaming them for projects not being marketed well is not fair -- they can't be expected to know how best to market a project to every single niche community.
Sorry, I meant those to be two separate issues. Re: Kickstarter being selective, I was referring more to Kickstarter approving products that clearly don't match the terms that they themselves have expressed (though they do frequently update this), primarily the requirement that the Kickstarter must deliver a product. I'm thinking of the Pathfinder MMO tech demo and Blur Studio's The Goon project.

High profile campaigns do help, as they draw people to Kickstarter where they might discover new projects.

Cheneybeast

First Post
You know, I'm not sold on the gaming coins. They look like crappy carnival tokens. I understand that, logistically, the price of making thicker coins might make them too expensive to market, but these just look cheap.

VirtualMage

First Post
Yeah, it's always interesting to see what some perceive as valuable/useful- I'm not keen on those particular coins- I think I would rather have ancient chinese coins, or ducats, or just straight out fantasy coins. Also, I'm not really keen on sticking my head on a pre-built mini either- I love the concept, but I guess I see my characters as separate from me- it would be cool to dress up as an investigator or hero and do a mini-campaign with everyone as themselves, particularly if you knew you were going to end up insane or dead.. =]
I've backed Both Brendon and Carl for their respective Virtual Tabletop endeavours. Ultimately I think the subscription model is more sustainable (although personally I would far rather pay for something once), but with the demise of even a successful KS like Tabletop forge, I'm hedging my bets towards something that IS sustainable.
I think also people are a bit burned out from KS- I'm STILL waiting on my bones (which was a very substantial investment over a year ago), and put in a large chunk on Dwarven Forge too. With the way things are going, both Reaper and DF will do another KS before Christmas-I'm interested to see if they both see more, less or the same levels of success. I'm certainly going to be less crazy this time around, but will still pledge- just in a more judicious fashion.
Bottomline: I genuinely love the concept of both 3D Virtual Tabletop, and 3D Connect. I think that ultimately you are both competing, but on parallel platforms (with a bit of crossover). I hope you both end up developing your respective products to the full, and everyone benefits.

Dice4Hire

First Post
I am also looking at the Bones and DF future kickstarters. I know I will not buy bones as masses of unpainted minis are not my thing, but might back DF, it depends on what they will do exactly.

However, a lot of people might want to go for both and both are not cheap, needing a hundred bucks or so to get the levels with lots of extra stuff. That can be a chunk of change for most people.

Alarian

First Post
I will almost certainly do another DF Kickstarter, but one Bones was enough for me. It will probably take me years to paint the insane amount of mini's I got from the first one. Plus the lack of communication the last 4 or 5 months on the Bones KS kind of turned me off to them for a while, even though I got mine with little to no problems. I feel bad for the huge group of people that were basically out in the cold on when their order was going to be shipped, and how they went down to a basic skeleton crew once the US was done being shipped, leaving the rest of the world to wait way way longer than they should have had to.

Remove ads

Remove ads