KidCthulhu's Scarred Land story hour

KidCthulhu

First Post
Also, Blood Jester and wife, who play Eternal Sentinel and Wave in PCs Mutants & Masterminds game, play Caerwyn and Terri.

There is some overlap. The person I feel sorry for is Aravis. It's bad enough that he and I (and Kodiak) are caught in the Rat Bastard war between Sagiro & PirateCat. He also has to endure my feeble efforts to tag along behind them. I'm not a Rat Bastard yet, but I'm striving for it. Call me Hampster Bastard!

Blood Jester

First Post
KidCthulhu said:
Also, Blood Jester and wife, who play Eternal Sentinel and Wave in PCs Mutants & Masterminds game, play Caerwyn and Terri.

There is some overlap. The person I feel sorry for is Aravis. It's bad enough that he and I (and Kodiak) are caught in the Rat Bastard war between Sagiro & PirateCat. He also has to endure my feeble efforts to tag along behind them. I'm not a Rat Bastard yet, but I'm striving for it. Call me Hampster Bastard!

Hamster Dance!!!

doo-doo-do-do-do...

Iron Chef BBQ

First Post
Rats! (end of run of 2-23-04)

Our band of adventurers quietly leave the temple. They stroll silently for about two blocks. Then without a word to each other, they pick up the pace and head with determination to Harnett’s shop.

The place is empty when they arrive. They enter, pull the shades and close and lock the front door. Morgot looks up startled. “What are you doing? I’ll call the guards.”

Terri rummages around and quickly finds the second accounts book. “Go ahead,” she dares. “I’m sure they’ll be interested in this.”

Morgot turns pale. “Look,” he stammers, “I have nothing to do with that. If you call the guards, I’ll never work for a respectable merchant again.”

Kalina hand him the cash box. “Oh, know,” she feigns shock staring at the empty counter. “The shop has been robbed!” She hands the box to Morgot and pushes him out the back door with a wink and her finger over her lips.

Harnett calls from upstairs. “Who’s there, Morgot?” Quickly, Marja turns Kira invisible. Kel goes first up the stairs, his sword half drawn. Marja takes her quarterstaff off of her back. They find Harnett at his desk. Three guards sit idly at a table playing cards. Marja moves across the room and sits on Harnett’s desk.

“Is your visit here for business,” he asks scanning the group behind her, “or pleasure.” He takes a long, slow look at the long legs stretching from the desk to his chair.

“All business, Baby, and I’m your new best friend or your new worst enemy.” She pulls out the letter that Kira pilfered and starts to read.

“Not mine,” he interrupts, but Marja ignores him and finishes.

“The Duke is not protecting you on this,” Kalina warns. Harnett laughs, “I’m his best friend.”

“Liza is his best friend,” Marja retorts. He pushes her violently off of the desk. Lucre steps between them.

“Step aside, Little Man,” Harnett bellows. “I have lots of influence in this town.”

“Not anymore.” Lucre is nonplused. “Now you’re guilty of treason.”

Marja silently casts charm as Harnett and Lucre stare each other down. “I won’t let him hurt you,” she coos, “if you tell us what you’re in to.”

“Oh let’s just haul his sorry ass of to jail,” Kalina comments.

“I’m not going anywhere,” he says motioning to his guard, “except with you, of course.” He winks at Marja who does her best not to gag.

The three guards stand up, and start to grow. He rises from his chair and feels a sharp pain in his spine. Kira appears behind him, her hands twisted and ready to strike again. He sways. Marja jumps to her feet and swings her quarterstaff, but he managed to move away from the stick and right into Lucre’s swinging fist. He crumples to the floor, unconscious.

Marja turns and casts color spray at the guards. Two of them look stunned, but they all keep growing. Lucre steps over to one of them and swings the Citadel in a powerful arch, slicing across the chest. Kalina shoots creeping cold and frost forms on the limbs of another. He climbs over the table, icicles hanging from a long snout and hairy claws. He lunges at Marja and sinks pointy teeth into her shoulder. The saliva burns, and she howls in pain.

The word, “DOOM!” echoes in the air as Terri casts at Marja’s attacker. Marja pulls out her wand of shocking grasp. Blue sparks cover his body, and he snarls. Kira moves in with her magic dagger drawn from her ring. He falls to the ground, and Marja breaths a sigh of relief as she rubs her tender shoulder.

Lucre swings the Citadel again and rips the chest off of his victim who falls dead at his feet. The last remaining guard/creature dodges an attack from Kalina and lunges at Lucre sinking his teeth deep in the dwarf’s flesh. “Welcome to the family,” he laughs.

“We’re going to miss you at the reunions,” Lucre snaps back. Terri stabs at the beast, but her knife has no effect.

“Use your sling,” Marja yells, but Terri never gets the opportunity. Kel strikes with his magic long sword, and Caerwyn rushes in with a gleeful cry, shoving the table out of the way and swinging his great sword. Marja sends a few magic missiles, and the creature falls.

As they survey the room, Terri notices that the men on the floor seem to be healing. Marja sends a bout of magic missiles into each of them, and they turn into dead rats on the floor.

apintrix

First Post
Wah! Catch up, I want to know what's happening now! :(

~L

Um...or, in a more masculine tone: "Pardon me, but, am I dead? I could be dead and never know it! That hardly seems fair! All I get is the teasers..."

~Kel

Blood Jester

First Post
apintrix said:
Wah! Catch up, I want to know what's happening now! :(

~L

Um...or, in a more masculine tone: "Pardon me, but, am I dead? I could be dead and never know it! That hardly seems fair! All I get is the teasers..."

~Kel

'Dead' is such a...relative term, isn't it? :uhoh:

I mean, well, in a quantum-state kind of way, yes? :confused:

Nevermind, forget I spoke. :heh:

Iron Chef BBQ

First Post
Full Moon Over Vesh (run of 03-09-04, pt 1)

Discontinuity Note: In the last story entry you will notice that Caerwyn was definitely upstairs in the room and fighting with the group. In this entry you will notice that Caerwyn enters the scene from downstairs completely unaware of the fight upstairs. Caerwyn’s player was not present in the previous run, and we played his character for him. That explains the gleeful cry and shoving of the table. Then we forgot, and when he rejoined the game, we brought his character in as if he had not been present before. Oops.

Having received the note from his friends on their whereabouts, Caerwyn rushes over to Harnett’s shop. He intercepts a man fleeing down the back stairs. “Where you going, friend?” asks Caerwyn, placing a firm hand on the man’s shoulder. The man tries to move past him, “None of your business, Mack.” Caerwyn holds the man fast. “These guys are upstairs attacking me boss. I’m going to get the law.”

“How convenient,” says Caerwyn, “since I am the law. Let’s just go upstairs and sort this out.” He turns the man back toward the stairs, but the man lunges and sinks his teeth deep into Caerwyn’s arm who is quite taken aback. “Yield,” he commands as he draws his sword. “Bite me,” the stranger snarls as he licks blood from his lips. The man lunges to bite him again, even as he starts to transform, but Caerwyn is prepared. As the creature leaps forward, Caerwyn moves his wrist slightly, aligning his sword, and the creature impales itself, reaching towards Caerwyn to claw and bite. His claws scratch against Caerwyn’s armor and his teeth sink into the soft skin of his neck. Caerwyn reels from the smell of his breath. “You don’t get many dates, do you?” The creature gurgles an answer and slides slowly off the sword and onto the ground just as Lucre appears at the top of the stairs.

Caerwyn reaches into his religious knowledge and realizes that Corean’s warriors wield silver swords against lycanthropes. He calls up to Lucre, “Are you ok?” Lucre slides down the banister. “They turn into rats when dead,” he says pointing at the man on the floor. “Otherwise, they heal.” Caerwyn stabs the prostrate figure again and the body shrinks into a large rat. “Good to know,” he smiles.

They drag his body and effects upstairs. Kira is very concerned that Caerwyn, Lucre and Marja were bitten. She relates the creatures comment to Lucre, “Welcome to the family.” Caerwyn inspects the wounds, detecting evil, but senses nothing. “I’m not sure, but I think this might be bad, more than a heal spell can handle. We have a little time, though.”

Terri and Kalina slip off to go to the thieves guild while the others take Harnett to the guard. Caerwyn finds Lt. Rufus, and the two of them slip into the office as the others take Harnett to the lock-up. Marja passes Caerwyn the note.

“He had hired lycenthropes?” Rufus is staggered. He steps into a side room and comes back with a large, well-worn book. He reads, “Statute 227/Stroke Zed – punishable by death. What a birthday present! Next you’ll be telling me Maj. Keiran fell off a bridge. You know, they serve a good cup of ale at the Boot and Hole next door. I would love to hear the story.”

“No time now. We’ve got to be at the temple before the moon rises,” Caerwyn is all business as he turns to leave. “However,” he pauses at the door, “Marja rarely turns down a pint, and she weaves a clever tale. You might seek her out some time.” In one of his rare casual moments he winks at Rufus as he leaves.

Out in the street he takes Marja and Lucre aside. “I lined up your next date,” he tells Marja, but first we need to go to the temple.” Marja is sure she’s been insulted, but she’s not exactly sure how. They leave the group to head back to the inn, and they once again retrace the path to the temple.

Meanwhile, taking a cue from Garnet, Kalina has turned herself into a small snake and has wrapped herself around Terri’s wrist like a bracelet as Terri wanders from inn to inn talking to people with winks and innuendoes. She has a long conversation about the weather, wink, wink, then heads to the dark corner of a tavern to talk to a man about exotic merchandise. Finally the name of Triscalon enters the conversation along with a promise to “set you up right.” She’s to go to the Rusty Nail at 10.

At Madriel’s Temple it doesn’t take long for the three to find a familiar face. “we have a small problem,” Caerwyn whispers pointing at their bites. “Of course, if the friends of our beloved Liza and our noble duke need healing…” Caerwyn stops her from continuing. “It’s more than that.” He points to the bite marks again. “Lycanthropes,” he whispers. The young woman turns pale. Gazing out the window at the sun she ushers them into a back room. “We haven’t much time,” she cautions as she motions for them to wait and slips away.

Moments later an elderly, but straight backed priestess enters the room, Liza at her side. “Oh how dreadful,” utters Liza, “after all you’ve done for us and our city.” “Hush child,” coos the old woman. “All will be made well again.” She goes to a side table and crushes some herbs with a mortar and pestle. “This is belladonna.” “Thank you,” says Marja. “Not you, My Dear,” the priestess chuckles, “the herbs.” Marja blushes. “Now step over to this basin and stick out your tongues.” The three obey, approaching a long wash tub. She places a dab of the herb mixture on each of their tongues. Lucre and Caerwyn bend over in nausea from the taste. Their eyes roll back in their heads and they vomit into the basin. The herbs taste vile to Marja too, but she does not throw up. She collapses to her knees as her body shakes with a high fever.

“You will have to stay a little, My Dear.” The elderly woman wipes Marja’s face with a towel. Lucre runs over to help her to her feet. “You can stay with her if you want to,” offers the priestess. “Oh,” Lucre stutters, “We’re not that kind of friends.” Then he looks at Marja who seems disappointed. “I mean, we’re hang-out-in-the-same-tavern kind of friends, but…” He turns beet red. “We’ll both stay,” offers Caerwyn.

Marja’s fever remains high. They make her comfortable on some pillows in a small room and bring hot broth for her to sip. The wound in her shoulder aches, and the skin around it feels very hot to the touch. Several young clerics are brought through to watch her perform the belladonna test for them. “You’re very kind to do this for us,” a teacher-priest thanks her. Lucre pipes in, “Marja’s always willing to contribute to a young man’s education.” “How generous,” says the priest as he ushers the novices out of the room.

Finally, shortly after the sun has set, but before the moon has risen, the elderly priestess returns with an elderly priest. They chant together and lay their hands on Marja’s head and shoulder. Marja feels as though the wind has been knocked out of her, then a warmth spreads through her even as she feels her fever break. An oily black mist seeps out of the wound, sinks to the ground and dissipates. The silver rays of the full moon stream through the window. “I guess I had a pretty close call,” she whispers. The old man strokes her cheek. “You’ll be fine now,” he assures her. Marja pays for the healing, and the three walk into the crisp evening air.

Iron Chef BBQ

First Post
From the Lion's Mouth (run of 03-09-04 pt 2)

So our band of hearty adventurers swanker into the Rusty Nail later that evening. Everyone manages to look like they belong there except Kel, who clearly looks like he’s slumming.

The Rusty Nail is a seedy neighborhood bar with great cheese fries. Kira is immediately surrounded by men, and Marja is put out. Terri wanders in and sits at a quiet table. Marja would have missed her except that Garnet spotted Kalina in snake form wrapped around her pocket. Everyone keeps his eyes open, watching and waiting, but no one notices a slender male figure approach and sit down next to Terri, not even Terri who jumps when she notices him. Kalina detects magic and senses his ring, bracers and something in his pocket.

“You’ve supplied this town with some interesting creatures,” Terri decides not to beat around the bush. “I’d never worked with that lot before, but it worked out pretty well, all the same,” he shrugged. “Mostly I’m in for exotic foods, but I knows lots of people. What’s it that you’re lookin’ for, Miss.”

“Not what,” Terri confides, “but who. I want to meet the people who supplied you with the creatures at Varnet’s.” He looks startled, “Why? Was somethin’ wrong with ‘em? What were they?”

“Well, one was an abomination.”

“With a capital A?” Terri nods. Triscalon starts to sweat.

Caerwyn walks up to the bar where Marja is standing and grabs her bum as he whispers, “He’s got shielding magic up.” Marja slaps him across the face. Caerwyn turns, rubbing his cheek, and heads back to Kel who is doubled over in laughter. “You said that move always works,” he called to Kel loudly.

Marja moves closer to the table watching closely, but all their precautions are unnecessary. Terri and Triscalon continue to talk.

“I got the stuff from Rover of Rover’s Traveling Circus,” Triscalon admits, “But he’s clean. I’m sure he didn’t know what he was dealing in.”

“We need to move up the chain as far as we can go,” Terri explains. Triscalon looks nervous. “Is there trouble coming down?” he asks. “Not this far,” Terri assures him. “Well, I’m pretty sure Rover is clean, but I’ll see what else I can find out.” Terri tells him to leave word for her at the inn.

One by one and two by two the band heads back to the inn for the night. Kira lingers the longest, but to Kalina’s relief, she decides on her own bed and quiet sleep.

In the middle of the night Lucre wakes up to a rattling in his head like a creature trapped in a cage. He pulls out his sword. “What’s in my brain?” he asks. An elderly voice responds, “Your mind is, as always, a vast wasteland. You must turn on the light, meditate and seek within yourself.” Well, two out of three aren’t bad he thinks. He lights a candle, crosses his legs and quiets himself into his mind. “My mind is like Burok Torn,” he muses. “I must meditate more often to clean pathways here.” He walks in meditation to the temple of Goran and finds the little cleric who cast the spell and sent him to his cousin. “I’m the message in your brain,” the little cleric pipes. “I’m not ready to be delivered, but my target is in danger. A large creature with spikes will reach him in three hours.”

Lucre springs to his feet and yells waking half the inn. The clerics and druid meditate for an hour while Marja helps Lucre and Kel prepare for the trip, and Kira wakes the kitchen and rustles up some food.

They all gather in the courtyard in a tight circle, and “poof” seven birds take to the air. The feathers feel funky, but soaring is a great feeling even on top of they worry. Lucre leads the way. Everyone is fascinated by flight except Marja and Lucre who stay focused on the horizon. In two hours they reach the Keldar Mountains. About one quarter of the way up the side, Lucre spots a small ridge with a cave and a small climbing shelf below. At the base is a tall lion-like creature with wings and a long tail with spikes. Kel spots Borin in the mouth of the cave.

Borin is just waking up; his/her elf hair is all tussled. It doesn’t look like it’s been brushed or braided since Marja last took care of it. He spots the lion tail twitching. He steps out of the cave and rages, attacking with the force of a fully rested dwarf/elf. He brings his great axe down on the creature’s skull and blood flows as howls rise into the morning air.

Suddenly, a larger creature swoops angrily out of the sky. From their vantage point, the seven birds surmise that the wounded creature is a child, and this is an angry father. Borin hears the sound of wings and then feels himself pulled off of the ground. Lucre lands on the beast’s back sinking his talons into the lion’s shoulder. Caerwyn follows as does Terri. Kel dives for its eye. The baby takes to the air after its parent.

Borin breaks loose from the claws and makes a grab for the creature’s leg, but falls to the ground. The beast flicks its tail, and six spikes fly loose embedding themselves in Borin’s back. “After all this time of adventuring,” muses Kira as she lands and turns back into herself, “you’d think I’d learn that it always gets worse.” Caerwyn swoops down and lays on hands, er talons.

Terri lands and sees another, a female, just as Kalina casts a cold snap on the baby. The mother roars and takes to the sky shooting spikes at Kalina, hitting her with three.

Kel changes back into human form in mid air and plummets to the ground. The baby shoots spikes at Borin. Kira starts to dance and shoots her crossbow. A bolt embeds deep into the baby’s brain as the creature twitches and falls to the ground.

Lucre, a dwarf again, draws the Citadel as he clings to the father’s back. “Always thinking with your point,” growls the grandfather within the blade.

Kalina turns into a human, places her wand of cure serious on the ground and turns back into a falcon just as the female pounces, but her small bird form wriggles out of the way. Kel rises to his feet and runs to the mother, slicing a deep gouge in her wing.

Marja casts fly on Borin, and as he rises into the air she sprinkles dust of disappearance over him. He vanishes. He flies directly up under the male beast and flanks as Lucre takes another blow. The word, “Dooom!” echoes through the air. The mother beast takes to the sky as Kel and Caerwyn move in. Kel slices off her front leg as she rises. She knocks Kira as she falls dead to the ground, but does not throw off Kira’s next shot. The surviving creature turns on her, grabs her in his claws and soars.

Marja sends eight magic missiles from her fingertips straight into the creature’s chest. It spirals to the ground still clutching Kira. Lucre tumbles out of its way just in time, but Kira fares far worse. She holds onto consciousness by a thread as the beast falls on top of her. In an instant Kalina is nearby with her wand of salvation.

“Your arrival was well timed,” Boran remarks. “Hey, family knows when you need something,” Lucre shrugs. ‘Would it kill you to use a hairbrush?” Marja asks exasperated. “What?” Borin looks perplexed, “I did.”

Remove ads