• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

KidCthulhu's Scarred Land story hour

Morgaine

First Post
They discover several dead bodies, animals and people alike. Deke directs their attention over to an unconscious older man and a gnome who is alive but feigning death, hoping to avoid being eaten. Morgaine takes one look at the comatose gentleman at her feet and remarks that he is “a goner.” Kalina stares aghast at her, saying “he’s okay. Wounded but he’s stable and he’ll live. What are you talking about?” Sheepishly Morgaine apologizes and hurries to help Gemma set the Gnome’s broken leg. Fang trots over with Kalina, and looms over the now “awake” Gnome. Behind them, Borin, Marja and Fergus make their way into the clearing, Xenia still holding the club. The terrified Gnome stammeringly wonders “is it friendly.” At which Borin orders Xenia to drop the club. “No, I meant the wolf. “ And just like that, the tension of the moment, the tension of the past few days, is broken.

The troupe rigs a make-shift gurney for the two survivors of the ogre ambush. They learn from Coggin, the gnome that he and his companions were traveling from Amalthea to Otenazu with supplies. Unfortunately, his cart was caught in the blast of flame from Marja’s fireball and all that remains is the charred wood and flash-fried chicken, which Deke nabs for dinner. Coggin discloses that he knows Baronet Gobrey and his father, Lord Wyndhill. But he cannot give any further information about Gorbey's paramour.

Deciding to let the injured heal overnight, Gemma scouts out a camp site and then lights a camp fire for the first time in several days. As the afternoon wears on, Kalina heals the older man, Millard and tends his wounds. Morgaine peppers Coggin with questions about home, attempting to both distract him and ease her own mind. After feasting on the burned chickens from Coggin’s carts, they bed down early, keeping the standard watches. In the morning, the party decides to travel along the road to make gains towards Otenazu. As they near the road, once again Morgaine passes out and slumps to the ground. Hooves approach on the road from the south.

Morgaine

First Post
Just as before, Morgaine slumps over in a trance. Unlike before, however, this one lasts for several minutes. Hastily, her companions make an effort to conceal her and themselves in the bushes just off the road, as the sound of galloping bears down on them. Alas, they are not quick enough to escape notice of a very chiseled man wearing armor so shiny the sun glints off his chest, momentarily blinding Fergus. Tall, extremely good looking and radiating pure virtue from every pore in his body, this dazzling stranger stares down from his incredibly tall steed and bellows in the tone of the self-righteous, “Halt! Who goes there?”

Marja is instantly taken with the man's piercing blue eyes and golden hair as he gazes intently at the scene before him; taking in Morgaine’s prone figure, the weak and obviously injured Millard, Coggin’s hastily mended leg, and the furtive glances of the rest of the party. Marja smoothes her hair and affords him her most winning smile. The effect is breathtaking. “We found these helpless people about to be eaten by ogres. My companions and I save them. We’re taking them to Otenazu.”

“Oh, good. I saw the remnants of the ambush back there and I followed the trail to find two dead ogres and several dead people. I buried them as best as I could then set out to help any survivors. I’m glad you were there to help these people. I’m Naxos, a Vigil of Vesh.” He proclaims proudly, chest out, one hand on his hip winsome smile. Deke sucks wind through his teeth, remembering the tales of vigilants’ raids throughout the lands in attempts to defend the helpless and free the oppressed. He shudders in the face of all that…that…goodness.

Xenia bristles. She does not trust the gleam in his eye or his armor. She challenges Naxos openly to procure proof of his claim. Slightly taken aback, he does, indeed, produce several papers from his polished saddled bag. The official documents are signed by the Home Commander, Kelemis Durn himself and verify that he is a Veshian Vigil, charged with “helping the needy and ensuring freedom and justice for all.” With pointed looks from Marja and several attempts by Fergus to allay her misgivings, Xenia eventually steps aside but snidely remarks that she is less than convinced of his ‘virtue.’

Last edited:

KidCthulhu

First Post
Yeah, Xenia really hated that paladin. Then again, I can't blame her. PC was using his paladin voice, which is ringing, virtuous, and smug. Better women than Xenia have been put off by that voice.

Morgaine

First Post
Ramien Meltides said:
Ringing, virtous, and smug? Does it sound like Dudley Do-Right?

sounds EXACTLY like Dudly Do-Right. In fact, Naxos looks like him, as well. ;O) But that would make Marja Nell and I don't think that will fly.

Morgaine

First Post
After exchanging pleasantries, Naxos offers to take Millard and Coggin with him back to Otenazu. Marja assures him that she and her companions will take extra care in their travels. He grins, showing gleaming white teeth and a cleft chin. Marja can barely contain her excitement as she watches him spur his horse and ride off into the horizon. “My goodness!” she gasps as she fans herself. Deke groans and rolls his eyes, muttering disgustedly, “I think I’m gonna puke” Xenia agrees wholeheartedly.

Morgaine comes to, disoriented and sobbing, finding speech difficult for several seconds. Marja and Kalina comfort the distraught mage as she relates the vision of a man and woman kissing then exploding into light. Just as before, the evil cackling echoes in her head while her grandmother tries in vain to convey a message of some urgency. Shaken and disturbed, Morgaine resolves to get to Otenazu as quickly as possible. Consequently, she argues passionately but without avail when her friends opt to investigate the ogre attack further.

Coggin mentioned a third ogre who left the other two after an argument of some kind. After scouring the sight of the ambush further down the road, the party finds that the trail leads off into the rough hills to the east. Deciding to ensure that no other hapless travelers succumb to a similar fate, they head off into the rocky terrain in search of the third ogre.

KidCthulhu

First Post
Can you blame us? In this direction, obscure prophecy and wierd forboding. In the other direction, clearly evil tush to kick. Not really much of a decision. Plus, evil tush has bigger exp. glands and treasure potential. Forbodings are notoriously low on treasure. Sorry, Morgaine.

Morgaine

First Post
They follow a trail that leads into the craggy hills above them. Morgaine sends Taylor ahead to scout and reports to the group that he smells ogre and something bleeding. This further spurs the group to act quickly and they pick up their pace. The group spends the day climbing and (at times) crawling over rocks, ledges and precipices. It is grueling travel but they manage to maintain decent speed through the ascent. By late afternoon, the party is weary and cross. Though still following the trail of the ogre, there has been no sign of it or anything else. They stop to rest, regroup and discuss their options.

Tired as she is, Marja stumbles and kicks some rocks loose. They cascade down the steep incline and the group watches them fall in silence. In doing so, they notice a lone goblin climbing the rocks to their left. It does not appear to have seen the party. Gemma’s arrows and Borin’s crossbow bolts wipe out this small threat in no time. Fang stops short and growls menacingly, hackles raised as he points his nose in the direction of the dead goblin. In the area above, they spy a cave entrance. Kalina infers from his behavior that there are more of these spider-like creatures.

The party gathers together to discuss options, deciding to maneuver themselves onto the ledge just above the opening. Upon closer look, the piles of what appeared to be rocks turn out to be heaps of bones, picked clean and gnawed on and then left to dry in the sun. As they near the cave, Deke can hear three more goblins inside but he is too far away to understand what they are saying.

With his companions in place, ready for an ambush, Deke throws a rock towards the edge of the cave in an attempt to draw the goblins out. His efforts are rewarded when a pale, green-tinged creature with spindly arms and legs wanders out into view, blinking rapidly at the sudden dazzling sunlight. Deke readies his masterwork crossbow, aimed at the chest of the goblin. He waits to fire until the creature is out of sight of the cave entrance. When he is sure the goblin’s companions will not witness the attack, Deke lets a bolt fly with amazing accuracy. Unfortunately, however, the bolt does not kill its victim, who runs screaming toward the cave.

Borin jumps down from his perch on the ledge and with one sweep of his axe, destroys the goblin before he can sound the alarm. Gemma also jumps down into the fray. She notices the giant gong rigged up in the interior of the cavern, just before the path curves away into darkness. In an extraordinary display of bravery and courage, she uses her body as a shield to prevent the creatures from calling reinforcements. Both of the goblins fire crossbows at her. Despite being startled and scared, they easily hit Gemma in the chest and stomach, who falls backward into the gong then forward onto the ground. They watch triumphantly as Gemma’s blood pools around her unconscious figure, thinking she is their only intruder.

Last edited:

Morgaine

First Post
KidCthulhu said:
Can you blame us? In this direction, obscure prophecy and wierd forboding. In the other direction, clearly evil tush to kick. Not really much of a decision. Plus, evil tush has bigger exp. glands and treasure potential. Forbodings are notoriously low on treasure. Sorry, Morgaine.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. It's not always about the treasure. Okay, so it is. But it still smarts.

Morgaine

First Post
Having finally figured out a way around the user limit (that's been blocking me out since it was implemented) I can now post the rest of the stories. Unfortunately, they are not with me today. Figures. So sit tight, I promise an update this evening.

:eek:)

Remove ads