• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kids' adventure recommendation(s) requested

Re: Faery's Tale Deluxe, I checked the reviews section at rpg.net without luck. No hits on that title or on the primary author. I also checked amazon.com--they list Faery's Tale Deluxe but it has no reviews on their site.

Does Grimm come with a canned adventure?

I'm thinking Grimm is not as canned as I want right now. I'm sincerely looking for an out-of-the-box mini adventure.

Jury's still out on the 3.5 Basic Game boxed set. I'd love to hear from anyone who's played it.

Fate Lawson

First Post
CB,

I think you will find the Grimm is indeed a bit too grim for kids of that age. And frankly I think any d20 based game may be a bit much for that age bracket. I recomend checking out the previously noted Faery's Tale. It is so simple and fun. Although I will admit to not having played it with kids, our group did run a Christmas one-shot with it. This included the non-gamer spouses that would normally shy away from any gaming. Explaining the rules took all of maybe 10 minutes. Try that with d20!

I can't find any reviews, but here is a link to a Blog outlining one parents game with his daughters.

http://neilgow.blogspot.com/search/label/Faerys Tale

P.S. Firefly games also has a couple of adventures available for it.

P.P.S. I have no connection with the folks at Firefly, but I think the game is fantastic for an intro game for children.

Last edited:

Thank you for the input!

I called my local Borders and they report no available copy of the D&D 3.5 Basic Game boxed set. Amazon and e-bay say it's OOP. :( Guess I'm not running out to the store this evening or tomorrow morning to pick up a copy of that!

Will seriously look into Faery's Tale Deluxe. Ten bucks isn't too horrible. I'm open to other suggestions, though, so if you're lurking and feel compelled to put in your two coppers' worth, please do go ahead and post. I could really use some other options.

Snifferdoo

First Post
Faery's Tale Deluxe is EXACTLY what you need. I have all girls, 5 thru 13 and we play Faery's Tale. It's simple, flexible and your girls will love getting to make their own fairies. My 5, 8 and 9 year old are always asking to play. It is based around the kids being fairies and trying to defeat the plans of goblins or trolls. One of the adventures is saving Jack from the giant's castle ala Jack in the Beanstalk. You only use six sided dice and all that matters are evens and odd roles so the mechanic is easy to learn and you can start playing right away.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Well, there's always TWERPS. The World's Easiest Role Playing System bears that name for a reason :) The 2nd Edition Basic Rules contain all of the rules necessary for play and a complete introductory adventure -- all for $4.95 and in less than ten pages. Sadly, I seem to have bought out Noble Knight's current stock of the core books last week (sorry).

Alternately, the Deep 7 range of 1-PG (alluding to the fact that the basic rules and a character sheet fit on one page of 8 1/2" x 11" paper) RPGs might be something worth looking at. Each is priced at roughly $3.95 via RPGNow. I own Broadsword (Swords & Sorcery fantasy) and Medieval Mysteries (pretty much what it sounds like).

Heyoka Studios has partnered with Deep 7 to release a few 1-PG titles, including a 1-PG romantic fantasy game (which I unfortunately have no experience with). Here is a link (with review). Link.

Oh. . . and all 1-PG games contain several short adventures.

Last edited:

Vigwyn the Unruly

First Post
My opinion is that the Basic Game (3.5) boxed set is probably too much for kids that age.*

I used the (3.0) D&D Adventure Game boxed set to introduce my sons to D&D when they were 8 and 11, and they ate up every bit of it. I would highly recommend it if you can still find it, and I think it was only $10 or $15, worth every penny.

The next thing we did was a d20 conversion of Palace of the Silver Princess, and that was a blast, too.

*That being said, it is (was?) one of the best values in 3.5 d20. In fact, I bought both versions of it. Each came with a pre-gen adventure and characters, matching minis and monster minis, dice (IIRC), and several double-sided dungeon tiles. If they kept making these, I would have dropped $25 on them every time.

Who publishes the d20 conversion of Princess? I'd be interested in that.

edit: found it on a google search...it's actually an EN World .rtf conversion, done (very nicely) by a member. Didn't turn out to be appropriate for the age group I'm considering but looked very nice for the 10+ age set. No background info, so you'd need the original B3 but otherwise very nice, indeed.

Last edited:

Remove ads