• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kill Me An FR Canon Munchwizard (Heroes, Inc. players stay out)

DM_Matt

First Post
Alrighty, I have a Waterdeep campaign going and need a way to deal with those two CR30+ Greenwood pets in Blackstaff Tower before the BBEG can truly get his plan into motion. Preferably kill Khelben and frame Laeral for it. That will also reduce people's confidence in the mighty heroes that surround them.

Assume that the baddies have nearly infinite rescources. Some of thme are custom demons and I am willing to create an extra one with relevant powers if need be. They have a number of powerful cassed individuals, lots of vampires, a Tarterian Dragon, a an L20 Vampire Lord True Necromancer BBEG, and as I said, a whole lot of powerful custom demons. None of them can win a one-on-one fair fight, but they can if they cheat effectively.

Secrecy is the easiest part. This plot is important enough to Shar (Greater Goddess of Secrets, Darkness, etc) that she will block the killing from the sight of the other gods, such that divination spells will not work. The real issue is the kill and the frame.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Any suggestions that do not involve simply mocking FR. I am sticking with canon more or less, but I want to change it IN GAME, not by handwaiving. I consider it a challenge. Besides, as I said, the actual downfall of incredably mighty individuals is part of the goal, not just their nonexistance. If I were to erase them from the timeline, I'd still need to accomplish that some other way.

Last edited:

Felix

Explorer
Man, just have them die.

While you're at it, destroy any FR NPC with more than 20 character levels. That'll leave heroes and sinister folks who are actually believeable, instead of every small hamlet cozying thier own epic level super-guy, or their own globe-spanning plot of vile villany.

... playing in Greyhawk would, of course, be a similar solution ...

OR!

Maybe Khelben and Laeral had a falling out, and Khelben felt so damn bad about it, he wanted Laeral to feel reallllllly guilty about it so he secretly hired an assassin to kill himself, at the same time both pinning the blame on her, and letting her know that he killed himself because he felt so bad about what he had done. That way, when the authorities show up, Laeral feels so bad about it that she meekly submits, is convicted of magicide, and beheaded to adorn the city gate.

There. Problem solved. A world rejoices.

/griping

The best way to bugger mages is to plop them down in an anti-magic zone. At which point they become powerless. So devise an epic spell to divert a Teleport that is zipping the both of them together into an anti-magic zone. Some hand-waving at rules mechanics might be necessary here, but if you're willing to write up demons, you should be willing to do this. Once they're in the anti-magic zone, have your hordes start grappling and tearing the snot out of them. Afterwards, round up all the demons who ate even the smallest bite, send them each to seperate planes and disintegrate them. Use Sould Bind or Trap the Soul or somesuch spell to make sure their souls don't rate the afterlife. Kick back, have a beer, be Evil.

Last edited:

VirgilCaine

First Post
Make it something simple, like strangulation until unconscious, and then they are thrown out of their tower or balcony or whatever...once the assassin gets past the magical wards and such.

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Just have Shar inform Orcus that she'll personally slay Kiaranselee, give him her power, elvate him to godhood and blam-o Orcus will plague the entire city of Waterdeep for a lifetime! :)

BadMojo

First Post
Felix said:
While you're at it, destroy any FR NPC with more than 20 character levels. That'll leave heroes and sinister folks who are actually believeable, instead of every small hamlet cozying thier own epic level super-guy, or their own globe-spanning plot of vile villany.

There really aren't that many high level NPCs in the Forgotten Realms, considering the size of the setting.

But anyway, I agree that the anti-magic field stuff would be quite useful. It may also help to have someone close to Khelben (a senior member of this Harper-spinoff group, the Moonstars) betray him.

Still, being a Chosen of Mystra is gonna make it tough to take him out without levelling half of Waterdeep (which is fine, if that's your thing). ;)

Have a Lvl.20 Doppleganger rogue shifted into one of them assassinate the other, while the one who is being impersonated is kidnapped and quietly killed. That way you are in control of one of them (evil plans branch out here!) and the other is dead. :]

WayneLigon

Adventurer
A tiny crust of plaque in Kelben's jugular, laid down by years of rich fried medieval cooking, comes loose and lodges in his brain. Death from a massive-enough stroke is instantanous. This occurs while he's working on an antimagic device, which prevents all his contingency spells and magic items from going off. [a miracle occurs] and he is unable to be ressurected.

VirgilCaine

First Post
WayneLigon said:
A tiny crust of plaque in Kelben's jugular, laid down by years of rich fried medieval cooking, comes loose and lodges in his brain. Death from a massive-enough stroke is instantanous. This occurs while he's working on an antimagic device, which prevents all his contingency spells and magic items from going off. [a miracle occurs] and he is unable to be ressurected.

LOL.

Ralts Bloodthorne

First Post
WayneLigon said:
That's what I would go with.

Since what's her name was in the tower, and was found kneeling over the body and holding the aforementioned anti-magic device, she is the prime suspect, with no way to clear her name.

Seeing the possibility for trouble, several high powered demons have brainwashed 2 servants into "witnesses" that saw her kill him with some kind of psionic device that crumbled into dust.

Elric

First Post
An 8 year old girl who is secretly an undead 3000 year old necromancer did it. For good measure, she can do acrobatics like Carly Patterson.

Remove ads