• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Killer DMs and you

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
G'day folks!

I was just wondering (as I sometimes do) how many of you play under what you'd consider to be a "Killer DM"?

Why do you still play with them?

Or are you a refugee from such a game?

Cheers!

Moe Ronalds

First Post
I'm lucky. My DM uses the "4d6 drop the lowest 24 times" method of stat rolling. If ever one of my characters dies, I must have made a BIG booboo.

caudor

Adventurer
By 'Killer DM'...do you mean a DM that actively tries to 'beat' or kill the party? If so, I can't say I have. I wouldn't like that.

I do enjoy playing with DMs that play as 'referees'...fudging the dice neither for players or monsters. If I know the rules are being applied, it adds that extra layer of fun. If I die; I have a memory to cherish and roll up another character.

There is fun in knowing that you can die, but little fun in knowing that you WILL die.

Cheers.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The definition of Killer DM is somewhat unclear - I personally consider it to be a DM who racks up a high body count in his or her sessions, either because of too tough encounters or stupid players.

Most of my players consider me to be a Killer DM (I have over 50 PC deaths in about 150-200 sessions since 3E was released), but they still play with me because smart players do stay alive, and the games are fun. Consider me "Tough but fair"... mostly. In the few cases where I get an encounter badly wrong, divine intervention will save the party.

Certainly there are the malicious Killer DMs who just want to 'get' your characters, and design modules like "Tomb of Horrors".

However, for the purposes of this thread, a Killer DM is one who attains a high body count - for whatever reason.

Cheers!

Last edited:

LGodamus

First Post
I hope I am not a killer Dm, but some of my players may disagree..... I do not activly try to kill them. I just run a tough game and I dont fudge to save anyone.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
I'm a killer DM and it's becuase my players stood and fought and died and didn't run. Not my problem, i don't pull punches, i go full bore.

caudor

Adventurer
MerricB said:
The definition of Killer DM is somewhat unclear - I personally consider it to be a DM who racks up a high body count in his or her sessions, either because of too tough encounters or stupid players.

However, for the purposes of this thread, a Killer DM is one who attains a high body count - for whatever reason.

Cheers!

In that case, I sure would enjoy playing at your table; I'm sure it would be a challenge and a blast.

It's too bad we are separated by most of a planet.

shilsen

Adventurer
I'm not a killer DM - as long as my players play smart. I told them at the start of the campaign that I don't pull my punches, plus I roll my dice in the open, so they know what the score is. Plus it's more fun to keep them hovering on the brink of death and defeat :D

Ukyo the undead

First Post
I already played with one. Two campaigns. He made Greyhawk feels like ravenloft; and when he said that he would be Dming in Ravenloft... well...that was Hell.

The main problem with him is that he would not change anything in his game because of the players. I dont mean that he had a very detailed storyline that would go on with the players interference or not.

I mean that he would not accept changes in his story, unless it would come from someone on the table he respected.

I remember a GURPS "adventure" , when he told us that we should make scientists PCs, and then start DMing ( for 3 hours) to himself because nobody could change the situation he did set: a invasion on a museum. He asked us to make scientists, and took 3 hours describing a museum invasion.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads