• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Killing Time Before 4e Comes Out

FickleGM

Explorer
I'll be running The Gneech's Sword & Sorcery SAGA conversion (or, if that doesn't pan out, I'll use True20). I'm also running a 3.5e game.

Blessed Kitten

First Post
Sepulchrave II said:
I don't like other RPGs.
Why not?

Personally, it's not that I dislike other systems so much, it's more that I have an irrational brand loyalty to D&D and its quirky style of fantasy that prevents me from spending too much time looking at other systems.

What does D&D have for you that other systems fail to deliver?

Irda Ranger

First Post
Blessed Kitten said:
What does D&D have for you that other systems fail to deliver?
I know the question wasn't directed at me, but ... Magic Missile.

Not just that spell of course, but some combination of traits that says "I'm playing D&D."

It's like sports: most of them involve two teams, a field, a ball, and getting more points than the other guy. Sometimes one one of those details changes, but it's still a recognizable sport. For some people, that's enough. They watch golf, football, baseball, cricket, ... whatever. They like it all. For others, only baseball will do.

I'm like that second guy. Only D&D will do.*

*I'm actually playing Iron Heroes right now, but the DM added elves and a mage class back in, so it's close enough.

psionotic

I just finished my last D&D campaign, and am now playing in two every-other-week 3.5 games. One of those will certain be converted to 4e on day one, not sure about the other.

To get me by though, I'm hoping Bioshock on my 360 (yay wedding gifts!) and Hellgate:London on my PC are sufficient!

(On a related note, I almost wish WotC gave us LESS lead time to 4e, because I'm already spending multiple hours per day on ENworld and WotC designer blogs, arrghh!)

Remathilis

Legend
My Eberron game is at 5th level, so I expect to be around 15th when 4e begins to trickle out.

As to the OP, I too suggest a nice SAGA game. Barring that, You can never go wrong with BECMI (aka Cyclopedia) D&D + a couple classic modules (Borderlands, Search of Unknown, Bone Hill, Saltmarsh, even Hommlet)

Nope, I'll be playing 3.5E until at least the end of next year. My current campaign has a couple of adventures to go before it wraps up. After that I'm hoping to run the Shackled City AP. That should keep us going quite happily for a good while.

I'm still very interested in seeing what 4E has to offer. At the same time I'm not going to chuck my 3.5E books in the bin just yet.

Olaf the Stout

Blessed Kitten said:
Why not?...What does D&D have for you that other systems fail to deliver?

Good question. I've played other games, but not for years; D&D was the first, and the one I always played by far the most. I'd as soon play Chess or Axis and Allies as other RPGs; they're not D&D. I know the game's changed a lot, but it's still D&D. It says so on the label.

Agamon

Adventurer
Morrus said:
Nah - I'm halfway through Age of Worms, and it looks like we'll conveniently wrap it up just in time for 4E.

Me, too. Halfway through AoW, that is. Not sure we'll be done by May, though. And then it's on to different games. 4E will be rather matured before my main group gives a shot (I might rejoin the RPGA to give the game a whirl in the meantime, though).

Agamon

Adventurer
Samnell said:
I was just looking at a 2e rulebook a few nights ago in search of some demographics information and in the process of looking for the numbers I wanted was aggravated several times by the pre-d20 setting assumptions, let alone the rules.

Heh, reminds me of trying to read through the Hackmaster players handbook. I got to the class descriptions and started yelling at the book about how arbitrary the xp tables were (one of the things I disliked about AD&D...).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads