Kinda OT: Master of Orion 3

Agamon

Adventurer
MOO and MOO2 were (are, even) awesome games. I'm not too sure about MOO3. The screenshots look absoultely dreadful, especially concerning the interface. And I don't mean they are bad graphics, I realize that the game is made to be able to play on a 3-year old PC, but I'd rather they used the same ancient graphics from MOO2 than the crap they've shown in screenshots.

That, and, even though they say you can turn off the real-time combat, they aren't supporting hotseat, which I and my friends prefer to play (better to get together and be social than play over the net).

Ah, turn-based stratagy, how I miss thee. Looking forward to Warlords 4...

KnowTheToe

First Post
I think this could be my next PC game. Especially if it works on 3 year old PCs, because mine is 3-4 years old, but the new graphics card keeps her purring in most games.

KnowTheToe said:
I think this could be my next PC game. Especially if it works on 3 year old PCs, because mine is 3-4 years old, but the new graphics card keeps her purring in most games.

KnowTheToe, be sure to understand that MOO3 is a niche game. It's for people who are macromanagers rather than micromanagers, and who have the time to overcome its steep learning curve. It's not a game with mass appeal, unfortunately. (I'm still going to get it, but I don't want to be vilified by a bunch of people who bought it on my recommendation. :) )

Agamon

Adventurer
Flexor the Mighty! said:
All the interviews of the game designers seem to make sure to slam MOO2 and the way it was played. As someone who loved MOO2 I'm worried.

Really...I'll be sure to let all my MOO2-loving friends that were looking forward to MOO3 know this.

BryonD

Hero
Flexor the Mighty! said:
All the interviews of the game designers seem to make sure to slam MOO2 and the way it was played. As someone who loved MOO2 I'm worried.

I agree.

If I can get it real cheap the first day like Best Buy and a few other palces sometimes do, I will go ahead and pick it up.

But otherwise, I'll wait 6 months or so to let the reviews sort out and the price pull back.

Gizzard

First Post
I'm looking forward to the game, too. But it keeps getting pushed back, and pushed back. I'll belive it's in the stores when i see it. The stratgey guide has been out since december.

The rumor in the industry is that the disk went Gold at the beginning of the month and that it should be in stores in late Feb. (I thought the date was the 28th, but I could be confused there). The other rumor is that the dev team is being cut loose ASAP; apparently there are plenty of MOO3 resumes floating around down in LA.

Strategy Guides are contracted to one of a small group of publishers who often sub-contract a writer. The primary motivation for the publisher is to have the guide in the stores on the release date, due to their internal marketing data which shows that most guide purchases happen within a certain window of the release. Anyway, guides have a lot of degrees of separation between the dev team and the guy who ends up writing - its not like the strategy guide appearing in stores means anything other than the book company was told that MOO3 was going to make Christmas. But then, weren't we all? ;-)

KnowTheToe

First Post
Heretic Apostate said:

KnowTheToe, be sure to understand that MOO3 is a niche game. It's for people who are macromanagers rather than micromanagers, and who have the time to overcome its steep learning curve. It's not a game with mass appeal, unfortunately. (I'm still going to get it, but I don't want to be vilified by a bunch of people who bought it on my recommendation. :) )

Thanks for the heads up, but i would not have vilified you, I mean, after all, how the heck would you really know what I like? I will continue to read reviews and probably pick up a used copy a few months down the road.

Endur

First Post
Playing Moo3

I'm playing Moo3.

It has some major advantages over MOO1 and MOO2 in terms of graphics, space combat, macro-management, etc.

However, I'm still not sure if its a better game. MOO1 and MOO2 were awesome games. MOO3 seems to be lacking a little bit. I spend a lot of time pressing next turn and waiting (and I'm not using a slow computer).

Tom

Remove ads