• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

King Arthur Pendragon RPG

Brandegoris

First Post
Anyone enjoy this game? I find it to be one of my favorites but I can never get fellow gamers that interested in it. granted you do have to like Arthurian Legend to get the "Most" out of it,, But I find the system Unique and simple but amazing.
Anyone else really dig this game? Or Not dig it as the case may be?

S'mon

Legend
I suspect the secret to sucess with this and many other RPGs is to start off running it as if it were D&D - have the PCs begin exploring some old Roman catacombs, abandoned wizard tower, pagan burial mound or similar dungeon holding monsters, traps, magic items et al, in the vicinity of their manor(s)/newbie village. Then branch out gradually from there. Always start small IME is key to success. Players need time to find their feet and grok the milieu.

aramis erak

Legend
I love Pendragon - 4th edition for me is the best - but it suffers for the following reasons:

1. Very stylized play
2. Politically Incorrect in a BIG way
3. Removal of Player Agency is common*
4. Surprising complexity†
5. depth of subject matter‡
6. Lack of playable magic system§
7. "Not the Hero" syndrome ¢

* this is a misplay of the RAW, but all too common in KAP as played
† There are a lot of subsystems interacting, and they can do surprising things.
‡ Pendragon's published adventures are often examinations of the human condition in very special literary ways. It can be a blast... but it's also potentially off-putting when players confront that they are uncomfortable with the morality play.
§ Yes, 4E has a magic system... but it's missing from the rest, and it's convoluted and hard to use in play. Well worth the effort, but very limiting
¢ Players will eventually interact with the heroes of Legend... and come up short most of the time.

Cam Banks

Adventurer
I run Pendragon by the book for the most part and have no problem whatsoever with female knights. In fact, in one campaign, three players were women and all of them played women in the game, and none of them were damsels or enchantresses or whatever. My wife's knight was even a member of the Cohors Amazona, the order of Amazonian Guard who served as counterparts to the Praetorian Guard in the Roman Empire. Was this a real historical group? Well, not really, but it was a pretty awesome knightly order for Pendragon for Roman women who wanted to kick ass.

Cheers,
Cam

aramis erak

Legend
Wait, wait, wait: what do you mean by that? I'm thinking about purchasing the game, but this point got me curious :confused:

Here's hoping this doesn't get me in trouble...

1) Different starting attribute values by culture and gender
2) Different starting skill values by culture and gender
3) picking a religious affiliation is mandatory, and often not actually a choice. (It's determined by homeland). And it has significant mechanical effect.
3.1) Atheism and Agnosticism are NOT options in the list... but Evil is. (At least, in the GM section)
3.2) actively pursuing the religious believes provides STRONG mechanical benefits.
4) A number of terms used in the rules have offended non-playing observers in the past. Including witches, Warrior Maidens, Cymru/Cymri, Pagan, Wotanic, Pictish, and Evil. It uses them in historically appropriate ways. Greg is a historian and medieval lit scholar by training...
5) several published adventures have tests to avoid participation in post battle rape and/or pillage.

I've never had a problem with my players being upset, but I've had BIG issues with bystanders. And I've had potential players quit upon finding out about points 1, 2 and 3.

Jhaelen

First Post
I adore the system but I'm not all that interested in actually playing it.
For me the big 'problem' is that I prefer Ars Magica which can fill a similar niche but is way more flexible.

Remove ads