• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kingdom of Shiv

UHF

First Post
One of my players wanted to change her character in Smuggler's Shiv... interestingly its the Cleric (Of Sarenrae), and the Cleric talked the rest of the party into going to Sargava to establish a mission... So I was thinking that after they escaped Smuggler's Shiv, that she might go back and found a Kingdom (er Mission) there.

I mean she could pick up her nobility for a song. The other players could donate some of their faction benefits from Racing to Ruin (likely government support). And of course the island is an evil place full of cannibals, and impossible to land on. All things that are resolved by the end of the Souls for Smuggler's Shiv, but she could still get the land for a song. (Seriously, would you want to collect a 10% tax on Cannibals?)

So, future adventures would be based on founding the kingdom, and advancing it, but not exploration. It would be a huge thorn in the side of the Sargavan government. Non-colonial, non-racist, adventurer magnet, smuggler's, pirates.. lots of intrigue. They keep trying to drive Briga from Eledar.. maybe she'd like to hook up on the island?

I'm sort of looking at using the Kingmaker rules for Smuggler's Shiv.
http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/j/jonBrazerEnterprises/v5748btpy8kgr

Buuut... The Rules don't quite cover oceans or trade routes. The Scale for Jon Brazer's version seems unusually large, and the original might be better. At least I could do some beefing up of the island.

I was thinking that the kingdom ocean hexes would be limited to hexes adjacent to land. The rules don't cover fishing at all, but maybe I could tack on the fishing upgrade for an ocean hex as a building within a city? Light houses? What do they do?

Sargavan Tax, how much is that in BC? Do I just subtract -1 BC tax money and hand it over to the Sargavan government?

What kind of building discounts would I give for the Abandoned Settlement, Caves of the Mother, and the Temple of Blood? How about that bay with the water level that can lower itself? (Instant dry dock!)

City consumption is still a bit of a concern. In fantasy settings population levels tend to be sustainable. Which is fair enough... but on an island, things cost more because many things need to be imported. How much wood would you have to burn for a light house? (I suppose I could glance over that..)

Has anyone else looked at doing this kind of thing? Any thoughts on trade routes? I can see Smuggler's Shiv becoming a kind of a 'lawful' version of a pirates port. Yet, many forces would conspire against it, the Free Captains, and Sargavan government would actively attempt to take control.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
One of my players wanted to change her character in Smuggler's Shiv... interestingly its the Cleric (Of Sarenrae), and the Cleric talked the rest of the party into going to Sargava to establish a mission... So I was thinking that after they escaped Smuggler's Shiv, that she might go back and found a Kingdom (er Mission) there.

I mean she could pick up her nobility for a song. The other players could donate some of their faction benefits from Racing to Ruin (likely government support). And of course the island is an evil place full of cannibals, and impossible to land on. All things that are resolved by the end of the Souls for Smuggler's Shiv, but she could still get the land for a song. (Seriously, would you want to collect a 10% tax on Cannibals?)

So, future adventures would be based on founding the kingdom, and advancing it, but not exploration. It would be a huge thorn in the side of the Sargavan government. Non-colonial, non-racist, adventurer magnet, smuggler's, pirates.. lots of intrigue. They keep trying to drive Briga from Eledar.. maybe she'd like to hook up on the island?

I'm sort of looking at using the Kingmaker rules for Smuggler's Shiv.
http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/j/jonBrazerEnterprises/v5748btpy8kgr

Buuut... The Rules don't quite cover oceans or trade routes. The Scale for Jon Brazer's version seems unusually large, and the original might be better. At least I could do some beefing up of the island.

I was thinking that the kingdom ocean hexes would be limited to hexes adjacent to land. The rules don't cover fishing at all, but maybe I could tack on the fishing upgrade for an ocean hex as a building within a city? Light houses? What do they do?

Sargavan Tax, how much is that in BC? Do I just subtract -1 BC tax money and hand it over to the Sargavan government?

What kind of building discounts would I give for the Abandoned Settlement, Caves of the Mother, and the Temple of Blood? How about that bay with the water level that can lower itself? (Instant dry dock!)

City consumption is still a bit of a concern. In fantasy settings population levels tend to be sustainable. Which is fair enough... but on an island, things cost more because many things need to be imported. How much wood would you have to burn for a light house? (I suppose I could glance over that..)

Has anyone else looked at doing this kind of thing? Any thoughts on trade routes? I can see Smuggler's Shiv becoming a kind of a 'lawful' version of a pirates port. Yet, many forces would conspire against it, the Free Captains, and Sargavan government would actively attempt to take control.
You may actually want to take a look at some 3.5 supplements - Classic Play: Book of the Sea has rules for trade, and I believe that that several Expeditious Retreat books also cover trade.

The Auld Grump

Remove ads